Ever eat something that you really don't want to log?

Options
This is probably silly, but I just made some delicious homemade stove top popcorn for a movie night with my husband. I didn't even attempt to calculate calories...I just split the bowl with my hubby. Afterward, I was trying to figure the calories...so confusing! In all probability, I could have eaten over 500 calories of popcorn! The recipe I used called for 3 tablespoons of oil and 1/3 of a cup of kernels. It made a nice sized bowl...and I ate half of it. It was pretty good, but I have no desire to put this on my diary. :(

Not sure if it's because I went waaay over my calorie target or maybe because I don't feel like I really know how many calories that I ate...

Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• loriadm
    loriadm Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh you bet. I'm trying to do this without feeling guilt or shame over foods I've eaten, as I think that is ultimately an unhealthy approach, but I still feel awful going over my allowance because I gave in to my desire to eat a brownie my little girl made. And then there was the damn ice cream that I shared with my husband after dinner. *sigh*

There are going to be days I go over my allotted amount. I could have exercised to make up for it, but I didn't, which is also a source of shame/guilty. Of course I put in my stupid brownie and ice cream into the system anyway, but I sure wouldn't want to share my food tracker with anyone else. Wouldn't want them to see me fall down for the day, ya know?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So quick add 500 or your best guess.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: yes shared a salted caramel brownie ice cream sundae with bacon from Denny's with my son...seriously...It was ridiculous ~!
  • pestilencerose
    pestilencerose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    all the time. i went over yesterday and today.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Usually I go over in the weekend, and I never want to log it in, especially if its a rest day! But when I do I usually find that I haven't gone over by too much, so I can get rid of that guilty feeling! Dont beat yourself up, just do a little more in your next workout!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    the mfp data base says oil popped popcorn is 55 calories per cup. Look under "snacks, popcorn" Or just popcorn and scroll way down until you come to this listing under "s" for snacks. If you can estimate the number of cups in the bowl you'll have your calorie count. Of course if you added butter you'll have to figure that in too.

Let go of the guilt and shame. It's just food. Nobody is perfect. Going over your goal by a few hundred calories once in a while is not going to make you gain.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    haha pretty much whenever I eat pizza because I end up eating a ton of it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever don't like to log something is if I've made cookies or zucchini bread or something else I don't want my sister to see. Because she will then expect me to bring some over and share my goodies and I'm selfish. Hope she doesn't read this post then check my diary. I just baked. (Don't worry I run to earn these treats!) :laugh:
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I can relate....but be warned the last time I got lazy about logging I quit for a year, and gained it all back :/ Be very careful it doesn't become habit. I was so diligent for 6 months weighing everything. Then gave up and just couldn't get myself back into it. If I had stuck to it I would be at my goal weight instead of starting over with more to lose this time.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    not yet.. knock on wood
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    I have a special meal called Cheats and Rewards just so I can log those moments I indulge in a special treat. No guilt logging it because it is acknowledged as a random event rather than a ongoing sneaky addition.
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All the time and guesstimates don't make me feel better so I jis skip it like it didn't happen and jis remember it was an occasional treat not a dietary staple.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Nope. My diary is private so I don't feel anxiety regarding logging something. If I go over I can look back on it, go "oh well," and do better the next day. As for just being too lazy to figure something out, it takes me 10 minutes to log everything I put into my chicken enchiladas, but I do it. I'm only cheating myself if I don't log something. If I'm not sure, I estimate and "quick add."
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ALL THE TIME. But it helps to log everything. I went through a phase of not logging alcohol on weekends because it was just too depressing but now I log it all. It's better to know, I find I drink much less often or I earn my guilty pleasures through tons of exercise.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Nope...I log it all. Sometimes its hard to figure out how to log something and that puts me off because its a pain in the butt, but I do the best I can. Not logging something just hurts me...and in all reality, even if I didn't log it, I know in my head that it should be there. I say just log it...that's why we DO log things....to be accountable to ourselves (not others).
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    All the time! Anything that's difficult to measure! It is one disadvantage of calorie counting for me, that it's so much easier if you eat portioned, packaged food. Recently, my scales have been playing up which makes it even more difficult. I wish I had some sort of scanner built into my mouth which would just measure it all and upload it to MFP for me.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey, logging is your choice, thing is that unlogged calories don't actually disappear!

I tried a week or two pretending that wine and cider didn't need logging. It worked, they magically disappeared from my diary. Hooray!

But where did the 2lb gain in the scale come from? Totally unfair cos my diary shows I was good all week!

I'm back to truthful, however unpalatable.

:drinker:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I do a rough estimate (and I usually tend towards a higher than lower estimate) and quick add. I did that the other day when I was cooking for my son's birthday--I kept licking spoons and all that. Who knows how many calories I actually ate? I just quick added 500 to cover it. I don't care if anyone on MFP sees that I had something "naughty" or went over my calories. Logging is for ME to know what I ate and what I didn't, not anyone else. I don't use my food diary to give people some sort of impression of how well I can refrain from eating certain foods, or how good I am at staying within my macros and calorie goals. I kept it private until a friend messaged asking me to open it as she thought she'd find it helpful to how I eat. That's fine, so now it's open to friends. I only had one weird MFP friend who got judgy at one point (over whey protein, of all things), but I deleted her. Problem solved. :drinker:
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yeah last might, started of not to bad, ate a piece of carrot cake logged that and from then on went down hill, oops
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    oh hell no. i log EVERYTHING. living in denial only has gained me... 50+lbs! so no more denial for me.