Final Straw

Options
124»

Replies

• RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a final straw, and I've always been a happy woman. I recently (within the last year) met the man of my dreams, and we decided to get healthy together. I am 5'2" and I was 343 lbs. I had no idea that I was that high in weight, where I was wearing a 22-24 pant size. Since we started this diet on jan 2nd, I am now down to a size 20 pant size and 39 lbs down. I hope to continue with this for a long while. (the boyfriend is down 38 lbs as well)
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My last straw was when I reached 254 and was dating.... I was telling my mom about this guy and friend was going to set me up with and she said, "does he know your are a bigger girl so he wont be shocked my your weight?" I never thought I was this big...... Until I seen the Christmas pictures. I look like that? I don't feel like that!!!! At 12 pounds down I felt AMAZING! My eating habits are healthy, I no longer eat fast food because I don't like the taste, I exercise.... my back pain is almost gone.... Then came a family function, a baby shower, at 12 pounds down I could tell but could my family.... Nope .... then the pictures ... I still look like a whale, I thought to myself. My face is still fat, I have more rolls than a bakery and while I do look in the mirror and see the changes in my belly and other parts of my body and in how my clothes feel... I hit my last straw everyday because I am not even close to my goal. I feel great and I am sooooo happy for making this change but even now at 17 pounds down, in pictures, I'm still that fat short girl of the family. I feel good about myself until I go out and realize how far I still have to go, its heartbreaking to feel this way.

DO NOT get down on yourself. You are making amazing progress. The other day there was a thread about when other people started noticing weight loss. The responses seemed to depend on how much you started with. For people with less to lose, it was around 14-15 lbs. For others, it was more like 20-30 (I'm not sure if I'm remembering that one correctly). However, the fact that YOU are noticing, that you are feeling better, your pain is almost gone - these are NSV's that are good. You're doing great - keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • locdin2motion
    Options
    Final straw for me was for the first time in my life I was wearing gridles, spanx whatever people call them these days with everything I wear! My face was beyond fat starting getting rolls on the side of my neck I mean out of control.Wanted the easy way out I did a second round of HCG dieting but I was just sick of eating the same old boring stuff and really wanted to do a lifestyle change with eating REAL food but in portion and calorie control Iam not going to lie I was skeptical of MFP but in just 8 days I've lost 4 lbs and I have 47 more to go. All I can say is Thank god for height (5'8)because my weight doesnt show as the number on my scale and I gain weight in my thighs and butt and tummy. Anyway nonetheless was sick of it and finally ready to do the damn thing and get this weight off me while not feeling restricted!
  • itslouiejay
    itslouiejay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My turning point was when I was in high school and had to get a physical. I was always insecure about my weight but honestly, I never put much thought into it. I remember going in to the doctor's office and them checking my blood pressure and cholesterol and everything. The doctor's comes in with the results and starting telling me "You're too fat! You have high blood pressure, and high cholesterol! What you need to do is stop eating burgers and fries and eat a salad" I sat there humiliated with my dad there listening to this "doctor" ramble on about my weight. I've never been so upset in my life. So I told myself to start losing the weight, but I wanted a shortcut so I did it the unhealthy way in the beginning. Being a senior, I wanted to look good for pictures and events so I starved myself constantly, drank herbal "dieter's" teas, and a whole bunch of harmful things. Then I get really sick and gained ten pounds around the time of my graduation! My outfit didn't even fit right! So I told myself that I had to do this somehow but I never really knew how, after my first year of college I gained 10 more pounds and finally decided it was time to get moving! That summer (summer 2012, before using MFP) I lost 30 pounds, and since using MFP, I've lost 47 pounds! I'm happy where I'm at now, more social and open and less shy, but I know I still have work to do to get to my goal!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I procrastinated for a long time.
    I think I gained 10 pounds each year I was married. - I didn't overeat, I underate, and atr the wrong things
    I kept saying I was going to lose, and never actually did.. until..

Dec 22 2013, my Drs visit, I felt bad that she had to examine a whale (5'2" and 271) and then she said I was diabetic, and something clicked.
    I was determined that I was not going to be overweight, not going to be diabetic, and that was IT!

So here I am, forcing myself to eat snacks, force myself to eat breakfast (altho thats getting easier) but it beats coffee for breakfast, nothing all day, and whatever I'm not to tired to buy/make in the evenings.

I am doing it!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I remember going to the doctor for my annual physical. She was asking me questions and I mentioned that my cycles were a bit irregular. She went on with her exam. After everything was done she said, "Your blood pressure is borderline and we are going to treat that with weight loss. Your blood glucose level is slightly elevated and we are going to treat that with weight loss. Finally, your issue with irregular cycles, we are going to treat that with weight loss. Any questions?" She gave me a printout of my diagnosis, treatment plan, and medications. My first diagnosis was obesity and all of my treatment plans were weight loss. I left that appointment thankful that I did not have any medications but quite embarrased that I was stamped obese with treatment of weight loss. I am 5'8" and weighed 251 fully clothed and wore a size 16. She even scheduled me weight checks every 8 weeks to monitor progress. She said, I wouldnt start someone on a medication without monitoring progress so why would I just let you off without monitoring you. At my first 8 week appointment I was down to 231, my blood pressure was 122/82, just slightly up. She scheduled me another 8 week check. Next time I was down to 219 and my blood pressure was 117/78 and she said keep it up and I will see you at your annual physical.

That all started September 19th. I am a little over 6 months in, lost almost 56 pounds. From 251 to right now 195. I have completed my first 7 mile mud run. I have 2 5 k's, a 4 mile mud run, and a half marathon all scheduled in the next 3 months. I have muscle definition all over and I look great!!!!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My "final straw" was so many things all rolled into one.

I started really thinking about it when I saw pictures from my birthday a couple years ago when i went to AC. I wanted to look so nice for my birthday and I didnt.

A pain in my knees and a heaviness in my chest when I walked. I had always been okay physically and when that started happening it scared me freaking straight. I didnt want to end up a diabetic like my dad.

Being the fat dowdy friend out of my group. It's not fun. Especially living in NY. It brings a lot of negative attention from random *kitten*.

Not having a date for over 3 years. Yes, I'm awesome, but the honest truth was I couldnt get a date because of my weight and how my weight made me feel. As more of the weight came off, I magically started dating again LOL.

Not being able to wear a little, strapless/backless etc. dress. Or, a bikini. I got so tired of having to shop for specific clothes from specific plus size stores that would hide my body. I wanted to see something, like it and buy it! No further thought necessary.

And finally, to get my family off my back. They have been harassing me about my weight for years. Caribbean moms will talk your EAR off!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was at the doctor's for a sinus infection. The nurse took my blood pressure and said "uh-oh". Never a good comment! I have always had low blood pressure. Very low. Now it's an "uh-oh"? The doc comes in and takes it again. Says it's alarmingly high and I need to do a full blood panel to find out why. He then says "it could be your weight, or sodium intake". I didn't have the nerve to tell him I had been eating chili verde for all my meals for 3 days. So I casually said "maybe I will try reducing the sodium, loose some pounds and then come back and see you". He smiled and nodded. I cried all the way home. I hate doctors. Or maybe the act of going to the doctor is more accurate. I realized the older I get and try to carry around all this weight the more I will have to see doctors. My body ached every morning and those poor little feet crackled like they are breaking apart when I get up in the morning. Time to change or suffer. I began at the end of January this year. My feet have stopped complaining as much. My body aches now because it's getting exercise. I feel more energetic, happier, healthier. My family has joined in with the exercise. Still complaining about the food, but eating it. My daughter asks me if this is healthy or that is healthy to help her make a choice on snacks. I am soooo very glad I made the change and now the people I love most are also benefitting from it. Slow and steady wins the race. I am in for the long haul.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    my turning point

high blood pressre
    sleep apnea,
    exercise induced asthma
    short winded,
    tires easily, unable to tie my shoes

thats all behind me, no meds, nada............aint going back to where I was..............thats my turning point......my health
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My final straw was when I had to go shopping for clothes to wear over Thanksgiving holiday. I was going through pile after pile of jeans in Old Navy looking for a size 20 and could not find a one! I saw tons of 8s and 10s and I just kept thinking to myself "you know if you weren't so damn fat you would've been in and out of here 20 minutes ago." It was so hard to find anything that made me look good let alone feel good. Then Thanksgiving came and I saw the pictures, ugh, I was even wearing a body shaper underneath! I had never, ever been that big. I decided when I got back to work to weigh myself (my bathroom scale was broken), it said 240 even (I'm 5'7"/8"). Never in my life was I ever that heavy, before kids my heaviest was 222, during pregnancy with my 9lbs 1oz baby girl I topped out at 226 and was down to 199 going home from the hospital after delivery. I was disgusted, depressed, angry, I literally felt trapped in my own body by my fat. Then my SIL got engaged and asked me to be a bridesmaid. There is no way in HELL I am going to walk down that aisle and stand next to her (gorgeous) and her gorgeous friends looking like a whale! I needed to do something. I need to do it for me, my husband, my kids, there is no excuse and no other option. I'm 30 lbs down since January 1st, I'm well on my way and there is no turning back :)

Congrats how did u do it, I mean losing the 30 pounds?

At home exercise DVDs (30 Day Shred, The Firm cardio sculpt and Ab sculpt, Wii Just Dance 4 and running/walking every now and then for cardio) and sticking to my calories like glue. I have had a few cheat days but always get right back on track the next day.
  • sheshappynow
    sheshappynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well I've had many of these moments but yet seemed to ignore all of them LOL... I'd have to say what kicked my butt into gear was not only having my very extra large ex husband cheat on me with a skinnier but ugly woman... lol this started my motivation.....I promised him when I left him that I would send him a picture one day in a bikini flipping him off with a sign that reads" Your Loss".

The next thing that was the last straw was the dreadful plane ride back home when I left the ex and I thought I would have to ask for an extension for my seat belt but was to embarrassed to do so, instead I rode five hours with a permanent indention in my belly.

My daughter will be getting married hopefully in the next year or so and I don't want to go dress shopping or walk down the aisle and look like a whale.

Most important is when I found out I had to have gallbladder surgery in January. My doctor said well it's because of you being over weight. I had the surgery and began my journey to get healthier. It's been since January 7th since I joined MFP and I can honestly say this time it's working. I've made amazing friends, had many NSV moments and the best I mean the absolute best is the now ex hubby's ugly girlfriend has packed on like 50 pounds! LOL I know that sounds mean but karma baby.

Now I can walk, bike, elliptical and lift weights and I am seeing a change in my body but best thing is the change in my heart and soul. I want to save the world...LOL literally... I want to reach out and help all over weight people and tell them that if this junk food junkie can change and start on a new healthier path any one can!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me. After a year of just not caring as much as normal I gained weight. Always trying to find a day to start dieting again. In January 2013, I did. I started. Had a great day with heatlhy food, a nice healthy salad for dinner. Ironically, that night I found myself in the emergency room being told I had a heart attack! What a heart attack?! I am 43 and was about 30 pounds overweight and have 2 little kids. I couldn't believe it. As a tear rolled down my cheek I was in complete disgust that I had let my health take a turn. What I found out a day later still in a hospital bed, after every heart attack test and procedure they do, is that I did not have a heart attack. I had a stress induced cardiomyopathy. Basically a heart attack caused by stress. My heart suffered no damage and I have no blockage. Even though this wasn't caused by a poor diet, if I kept going at the rate I was not caring about what I eat and not prioritizing workouts, it could be the real thing. Something about being rushed through the hospital in a gurnee only thinking about my kids. I was scared half to death. Never want to experience that again. From that moment forward, I have been 100% dedicated to better health. It's never been easier and I am grateful I had that experience to get me on the right track. I will never go back. It's not even an option. My cholesterol numbers were at their best ever as February 8. Just by eating clean! It's a new way of life for me (not a diet) and I have never been happier!
  • thinagain2014
    thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have had many embarrasing moments at my weight.

A few years ago, I was at an amuzement park with my daughter and tried to get on a ride and couldn't fit. She was so sad and I encouraged her to go ahead and ride the coaster by herself (she was only about 8 or 9 at the time). But that wasn't enough to kick me into gear.

A few months ago, I dropped some pennies on the floor of a crowded restaurant and tried to bend down and pick them up but couldn't get down far enough because my pants were too tight and was pinching my belly.

My daughter plays travel softball and I am always sweating while trying to carry our equipment from field to field and sometimes the other moms look at me with pity. Plus I broke 3 chairs this past summer, thankfully I never hit the ground though.

In January my sister (who is thin) told me that her boyfriend is planning on asking her to marry him. I refuse to be in her wedding in a size 22 dress! My entire family is thin so I can only imagine what the pictures would look like. No thank you!

I am thankful for this site and topics like this one:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!