Beating sugar addiction?

13»

Replies

• kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    I have been addicted to sugar most of my life and had some terrible periods of it - feeling physically addicted and needing a "fix". Biscuits have always been my vice, they last about 3 minutes in my company.

I was so fed up, I gave it all up for Lent this year: biscuits, cake, chocolate, pudding, hot chocolate, all added sugar. The only thing I have allowed is flavoured Greek yoghurt, which I have no problem with. I felt it was the only way to beat it once and for all.

I got terrible headaches and fatigue for the first 4 days. I kept reminding myself that it was the addiction getting weaker, so to push through and it's been pretty much plain sailing since as once the cravings subsided it was only getting into the habit of saying no to offers of sweet things that was the issue. I just replaced the "ooh, that looks nice" or "just a little bit" voice in my head into a really loud screaming "NO!" and that became my default response.

When the weight started dropping off, that was all the motivation I needed to continue. I'm going to re-introduce it in small controlled amounts from Sunday so I don't feel deprived and binge but I'm very very glad I feel in control again.

My advice is:
    - Either start cold turkey or start slow, whatever you feel is best. If cold turkey doesn't work, don't give up, just try reducing your intake little by little each day down to zero.
    - Make a pact to never buy anything sweet for 30 days. Tell yourself it's only 30 days and by the time that's up, you'll be much more in control.
    - Make sure you're eating well to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day. Eggs and low-fat veggie sausages for breakfast really helped me survive those first few days.
    - Fill your biscuit cupboard with fruit and water and grab that when you're feeling the urge.
    - Mark off your sugar-free days on a calendar to celebrate how far you've come.
    - If you give in and have something, just enjoy it and start afresh after that ONE item, don't turn it into a binge. Every minute is a new opportunity to do better.
    - Realise that, in reality, you DO have control over your physical body. You don't have to take yourself to the cupboard/shop and put those things in your mouth, it's just a bad habit that needs re-writing.
    - You may begin to replace the hit with something similar - sweet fruit, carbs like bread etc. but don't feel bad about this right now, as long as you're aware of why you're doing it, you can then replace that habit once the sugar one is dead and gone.

I promise, if you get through 7 days, you'll feel 100% stronger over your addiction.

Feel free to add me!