weight loss challenge (bet w/ co-worker) - any suggestions??

Options
124»

Replies

• rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. I hope you win. I'm overly competitive whenever anyone else sees my progress and starts to follow a little bit. I can only imagine if money were to get involved. It doesn't sound like youre looking at it unhealthily, so long as you don't lose yourself in the process. :D And if you do, I'm sure all the MFP trolls will be here to I TOLD YOU SO to death.

thanks - I too wish people were a little more polite. many here have been, both pro and con my initial suggestion. I'm bowing out on this positive note. the two trolls can have a party in here if they want. they know they are both right so can take turns dropping internet memes on each other and high-fiving...

also....to all the people who have PM'd me and commiserated about the trolls hijacking this thread - I really appreciate your thoughts - thanks!!!

To all the trolls - I will make sure I hire a lawyer before posting something next time...as well as run spellcheck, and make sure I insert footnotes to clarify thoughts which are hard fact against those that are mere blue sky pondering.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

good luck with your pathetic life as a troll denigrating others and acting like a pompous know-it-all phuk.

:laugh: Have fun!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look up the definition for trolling. Disagreeing and pointing out flaws in something =/= trolling.

OP, you just got upset because you wanted people to help you figure out how to win. Obviously putting money on this (as well as pride) has made you frantic. Realizing that there really isn't any safe way to win (and most likely not any way in which you'd keep the weight off long term) is making you take your disappointment out in people who are actually knowledgable and supportive.

Not all support is going to be, "hey, yeah, you can do this". The best support, a lot of times, comes from the people willing to speak up and stop you from hurting yourself and failing.

.5-1.5lbs a week loss is healthy. Pushing it farther may not be. Especially depending on how far you do so (w/o doctor supervision) and the methods you go about doing it.

And let's not forget- weight loss isn't linear and the scale fluctuates a lot (as I am sure you are aware since you were going to try to con the system at the start).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

The definition of trolling from Urban Dictionary. Decided to post it because I am nice like that.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    if in the end all you want is money, you'll find a way to get it. You could always just try to eat better and get moving and focus on long term goals. Wouldn't it be great if after all of this you could keep the weight off?
    ''

again - wow - you guys must be from some alternate reality where no one ever has a health weight loss challenge at work....they are pretty common actually, for your information. I've been at this for sometime, and lost quite a bit of weight, but here I found an opportunity to shake my system / and mind. up get my co-workers to basically help me. And as per money, I'm risking losing money if I don't stay clean, but your post sounds like I'm trying to scam something off the black market? ....sheesh....it was just a buddy system thing, and I'm pretty sure its a fairly positive thing......but thanks for your useful post.

Sorry I came off as mean. I meant to say that if you're working hard already, you know what you need to do and please don't do anything potentially dangerous just for the money (such as fasting of cleansing like your friend might do) because that will only get you nowhere. I think you can definitely win as long as you keep going at it the right way. Also, I think eating and drinking plenty of water right before the weigh in is a good idea if you want to get the upper hand.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.