New to jogging - Any tips?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am using c25k as well. Currently on week 4 day 1, I am afraid that I am not going to be very good at it though. I have asthma, and as soon as I feel like I can't breath I start freaking out! I know it's probably my pace, but I'm not going very fast! walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0.....i need advice too! lol
    You may need to slow down your running speed. Your lungs will get stronger and then you won't have the breathing problem. I am short and was running at 4.5 but it felt like knives in my lungs. I then dialed it back to 4.0 for week 4, 4.1 for wk 5, 4.2 for wk 6 and I am know at 4.3 for wk 7. The stabbing feeling is gone and I'm have very little trouble with my asthma. I'm going to increase my speed slowly for the next several weeks and then move to running outside.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Here are all my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

I can't emphasise enough point 1:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

And here's some extra stuff I sent a friend who's training for her first 5K:

There IS a speed everyone can run, you just need to find yours. Sometimes I barely get above walking speed, it doesn't matter. And in RFL there will be runners who haven't trained and stop dead, and walkers - I promise you won't be last!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783

Everyone will tell you to get fitted for proper running shoes. While this is important in the long run (pun intended) it's a huge investment when you first start out and not that vital. I ran in cross-trainers for the first two years. Though proper running shoes do make a huge difference when you do swap.

More important is style. You may feel proper running is "heel to toe" but this can lead to painful shin splints and achy knees and feet. Let your legs swing naturally under you and land under your body (not in front as that will act as a brake), and land mid-foot. YouTube proper running technique or running mid-foot landing to see examples.

A great sports bra, however, IS vital!

The RFL website has its own training plan, and I used an early version when I first started out. However, the joggers' plan starts at 2 min running sessions, which can be a bit tough at first. Given you've got plenty of time, check out Couch 2 5K (C25K). This site has all the versions for use with a watch, apps or podcasts. One will suit you:
    http://www.c25k.com/

If you find a week hard, don't panic, just do it again the next week, but slower! You'll get through it.

I love the Zombies, Run! app, and there's a 5K training version. However, it can be a little distracting, which is good when you've been at it for a while, but you need to concentrate on how you feel to find your best pace when you start.
    https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

The next step is just to get out there (yes, even in this weather!). Keep all your MFP buddies updated with your progress! You'll do fine. :flowerforyou:

One final point. Start calling it running, not jogging. Then, voilà, you're a runner!

Wonderful blog post. Thank you.
  • nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thank you for all your help!

One other question, the website recommends doing 3 runs a week with a break in between. What if due to my schedule I do 2 days running, 1 day break, 1 day running or even worse 3 days on the trot - will this hinder my results?

Keep the advice coming guys :) And feel free to add me :) x.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not at all. If you need to modify it, do so. As long as you are getting out there and running. Also, start with running outside, it is very hard to start on a treadmill and then outside.
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll add - I run 3 - 4 times a week & STILL, that first mile is the hardest. Its getting your body used to a change from the normal day - so stick it out, even when it feels tough. Get through that first mile & then your lungs adapt & its easier.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    One other question, the website recommends doing 3 runs a week with a break in between. What if due to my schedule I do 2 days running, 1 day break, 1 day running or even worse 3 days on the trot - will this hinder my results?
    At the early stages, you might be able to handle a few days in a row, but you might find you're nursing a few aches as you get on to longer running intervals. If finding time is an issue, I'd actually spread it out over a longer time rather than cramming them closer together - say do session one on a Saturday, two on a Wednesday and three on next Saturday rather than running Saturday, Sunday and Monday to get all your week's running in.

This way you're more likely to learn to love running and stick with it than find it punishing and want to give up!
  • nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - annoyingly my best free days where I can actually allow time to run are Mon, Tues, Wed so I may end up with a pretty off workout routine!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Start out small, 10-15 minutes per day if need be and work your way up. And make sure you push yourself until you feel like your legs can't go on. "Your mind gives up before your legs do"
    Also, make sure your arms stay below your heart at all times, as if your arms are above your heart then it has to work harder keeping them raised high also.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    When I was fully into running (I'm not really obsessed now) I was running 7 days a week. No problems with doing that either. It depends on you.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice guys & gals. It seems everyone rates the C25K approach. I've had a look on my android play store and there are so many apps for this! Can anyone recommend one they use which is any good? Thanks :) x

My personal favorite is the Zombies, Run! 5K Trainer. You get a fun storyline with your training, it handles the interval timing for you, too. :)
  • degan2011
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thank you for all your help!

Keep the advice coming guys :) And feel free to add me :) x.

I run 4-5 days per week, Mon-Tuesday and Thur-Fri and currently (because my sister and I are planning to walk a half marathon in may) I am walking over 8 miles on Saturdays (with some jogging thrown in) to help train. My distance and time and both improved incredibly since I started out in January! I couldn't run/jog more than 2 blocks before I needed to walk. I just kept jogging when I felt I could and walking to catch my breath... Now I can run 7 miles at 11:41 avg pace without stopping. For me that is a major accomplishment. Stick with it... You can do it!
  • degan2011
    Options
    I'll add - I run 3 - 4 times a week & STILL, that first mile is the hardest. Its getting your body used to a change from the normal day - so stick it out, even when it feels tough. Get through that first mile & then your lungs adapt & its easier.

For me, that first mile or so, my legs are tired, and I feel like i want to quit or walk like I used to... haha! I have to push through that initial stiff muscle feeling and then it is like my legs remember they like running. :)