my knees hurt!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well actually I exercise barefoot because I'm at home on the carpet should I be wearing sneakers? Would that make a difference?

YES! It makes a world of difference. The cushion will absorb the shock that your knees and spine are taking at the moment. I recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you for the right shoe for your body type and gate. Tell them what you want to do with it, try a jump with the shoe on and then again with it off, then you will be able to tell the difference. If you can not afford to do that, then at the very least, get a shoe that is a half or a whole size bigger than your dress shoe, this helps your ankles, knees and back. I just wish I would have found this information out before I was 32 and had already done damage to my body.

Good luck!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Well actually I exercise barefoot because I'm at home on the carpet should I be wearing sneakers? Would that make a difference?

YES! It makes a world of difference. The cushion will absorb the shock that your knees and spine are taking at the moment. I recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you for the right shoe for your body type and gate. Tell them what you want to do with it, try a jump with the shoe on and then again with it off, then you will be able to tell the difference. If you can not afford to do that, then at the very least, get a shoe that is a half or a whole size bigger than your dress shoe, this helps your ankles, knees and back. I just wish I would have found this information out before I was 32 and had already done damage to my body.

Good luck!

and i completely disagree with this one, specifically for squatting. in order to get the right form for squatting, you should either be doing to barefoot, with minimalist style shoes or completely flat shoes. those types of shoes (or lack of a shoe) allows you to keep the weight in your heel, which is where it's supposed to be. when you are down in squat position, you should be able to wiggle your toes or even lift them off the ground. if you have a cushioned heel, you won't be able to do that as well.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I too have RA in my knees. I really enjoy Zumba but sometimes all the jumping hurts my knees so I do HIIT on the elliptical which is easier on the knees and helps burn fat.