Log the food before you eat it?

Options

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For me its mandatory i like knowing ahead what i can squeeze in without going over!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I often log my food the night before. This way I make sure that I am eating the right number of calories, getting enough protein, fiber, etc.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I log most of my day when I eat breakfast. It keeps me from adding things in without thinking about it. I did have to adjust at lunch as someone brought in homemade chocolate chip cookies and I didn't say no, but only had one (this can be a challenge when it comes to chocolate chip cookies). I have the room, or I will when the fitbit updates when I get home!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'll log what I eat as I eat it throughout the day, but I know I slack off at night once I'm home. So I'll pre-log dinner and a nighttime snack and it helps keep me on track. I will even pre-log exercise - sometimes just knowing I already counted it gets me to the gym when I don't feel like going!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do it to an extent. Usually there's one meal (either breakfast or lunch) where I pretty much eat whatever I want, within reason. Which meal depends on the day - like on Sundays, I go have lunch with my husband when he's at work, and we don't have access to a microwave or anything, so i usually pick up sammiches or something. Then I plan dinner and my day's snacks around that.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do! I like to log most meals the night before as much as possible. It makes food prep a snap and I don't have to use too many brain cells before I walk out of the door in the early AM.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I usually log my days the morning of or the night before. It helps me plan my day out and know what I can/can't have. I normally put in my breakfast, lunch and dinner before then I know what I have "left over" for snacks. Occasionally I do make changes, like sometimes I'll get to dinner time and what sounded good the night before no longer seems appetizing so I change it.

However, I do not log my exercise until I actually do it. Exercise is the hardest for me to get motivated for and stay motivated to do so it's more of an accomplishment for me to get it done. If I get in the habit and do it several days straight, then i'm good and on it but if I get out of the habit, it takes me a lot longer to get back into it.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food the night before in the next day's diary ie: tonight I will put everything I plan to eat tomorrow in Wednesdays diary - then I just make any changes and cut and paste my meals over as I eat them and then delete everything out from Wednesday when I am done. Sounds confusing but I am a creature of habit and watch my macros closely, so it takes a lot of guesswork and time out of the equation for me.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do my grocery shopping on Saturdays. So every Friday evening after dinner, I spend some time sitting down and planning my menu for the entire week. I plan my Breakfast, Mid-Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner and Evening Snack. I write these down on a white board I keep on my refrigerator. This helps me to know exactly what I need to pack for my lunch the night before and to avoid the grab and go that I did before that got me to this weight. It also helps my budget, by not having to go shopping several times a week ( I do a produce run twice a week).

I pre-log what I am going to eat the next day the night before after I have packed my lunch. In my particular case, I do leave the house every morning at 7AM to take kids to school and then I go to work.

Also, by planning ahead I know if I need to take meat out of the freezer for dinner, etc.

As for exercise, during the week I pre-log since I am pretty rigid in my schedule. Weekends, I do not since they are hit and miss if I exercise.

For me this works. I found that I NEED a schedule. It keeps me accountable and keeps me from guessing. And I keep a little spiral notebook in my purse to record any food I did not plan for. I do have to have impromptu lunch meetings quite frequently for work.

Hope this helps!
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually try to log everything (food and exercise) for the day and sometimes even the week 1st thing in the morning. I find when I do that then about 98% of the time I stick with it and make no changes. Helps keep me on track
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I only prelog if I am trying to accommodate a dinner out with someone. Otherwise I do it as I go.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    On days that I work I will log in what I'm having for breakfast and lunch the night before. This keeps me on track while I am at work and stay way from foods that I don't need to be eating.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Every morning, I weigh myself, log food and exercise. I like to weigh myself as it stops me from stuffing things into my mouth as I will have to "face the scale" the next day!! I know I can gain/lose multiple lbs of water weight but... this has been a success for me. I am always amazed at how fast calories add up. I look up restaurants and food ahead of going someplace to know what I am going to order.
  • sammyh0505
    Options
    I always log my meals the night before because it helps me see where I can sneak in little treats throughout the day! :happy: (If my sugar and calories allow it) I don't log exercise until I actually do it though, because I don't want to overestimate what I am going to do during the day, even though track practice is the same this every day haha.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I track everything the night before as much as possible. It makes it easier for me to adjust my daily menu to meet my macros and calorie goals.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I log ahead because it keeps me on track.

I would be embarrassed to go back and alter it.

Plus this way I can look at it and say "Wow! There is still so much more I get to eat".
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I pre log the lunch I pack to work so I know what I can eat for dinner and plan for gym time if I can go. On my days off I just eat when ever I am hungry and I dont plan ahead.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i log everything in the morning, Then i know if i can have some treats or not
  • kmk_natasha
    Options
    I don't log exercises beforehand, but I do log food; especially when I make my lunch the night or mornng before.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes always as much as is possible as soon as I know I'll be going to have it. Sooner it's logged the better so you don't go searching for what to eat when you are hungry.