Log the food before you eat it?

Options

Replies

• fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yea. I sometimes log before, during or after a meal. But I prefer the first 2. I consider it a good thing when I log before hand though.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Heckk yes. That way I can spread my calories and calculate how much I have leftover. Then, add other foods to fill up my caloric needs
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, you get to make the better choices that way. Like most people here, left to my own devices I'd make fatty choices or have to big a portion so it's really helpful to log it a head of time.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I usually log in early or test out meal ideas, to see how I am doing in protein intake or calories for the day. I strive for maximum accuracy though. I need to know how I am doing. It's very important to spread my calories around so I don't get hungry in the evening. The only thing that will screw me on calorie goals is to eat too much early in the day and then have only 50 calories to spread out over the last three hours of the evening. Not going to feel good!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I pre log my food but not my exercise because knowing me I'll eat that slice of cake, then get home and not exercise :P
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    usually prelog leftovers so they dont go to waste
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just planned through Thursday. LOL and I'll mostly stick to it.

I have a ton of food to get through this week. I buy a lot of veggies that I can't afford to toss, so I eat and I plan so I use it all.

Destresses my day since between work,gym, child, boyfriend and other stuff I need to do.. Meals are one thing I don't have to worry about figuring out (unless I forget to take the meat out of the freezer! EEK!)

strawberries next week! can't wait!!
  • southernboho
    Options
    I, too, have eaten too many calories too soon in the day - I went on unplanned walks to earn some more for dinner! Pre-logging helps me avoid that now.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I try to log most of mine in the morning so I can see were I am. I plan our menus for dinner for the whole week every Friday so I know whats for dinner already for the whole week. then I work my other meals around that
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I log ahead all the time. It helps me "budget" calories, and plan exercise.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used to check my calories ahead of time until I got pretty much what my calories were.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    All the time.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    yep I log food in advance but not exercise.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I log as I go, but sometimes when I know I'll be busy and pack everything I'm going to eat, I log it ahead. Today, I went out to eat with friends. I looked up what I was going to eat online, logged it ahead of time and then I felt obligated to eat it, even when the french toast was calling! I also will use it to figure out what snacky stuff I can eat and still be on track, or which meal I should make myself and stay on track.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I find pre-logging my entire day is the best way to stay under goal. It's so much easier to resist In'N'Out (like I failed at miserably today! lol!) if I have a delicious home cooked meal all planned out. I will log snacks that I allow myself, and half the time I don't even eat them.
  • GaJavaGirl
    Options
    YES. During the work week I log my food the night before when I prepare my lunch and snacks. I plan my breakfast and dinner the night before, too. If I know I am going out to eat, I try to look at the restaurant website for nutrition values when available. It helps me stick to my plan. I make adjustments throughout the day if necessary, like if I'm extra hungry and add a fruit or something, or if I decide not to eat an item I delete it. I don't log my exercise until I actually do it, though. Good luck and welcome :)
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always log before dinner to see if I can keep a decent amount of calories at the end for sweets.

Also, if I know that I'm going out to eat with my family that day, I'll go on the restaurant's website beforehand and look at the nutritional info and find the lowest calorie meals so I know what I might like to order instead of going there and ordering something that sounds healthy and it turns out to be like 800+ calories.
  • YankeeDel
    Options
    I just started doing that a few days ago. It really has helped me keep on track knowing the amount of weight i can lose (MFP estimate at end of entry for day) at the end of 5 weeks. When I didn't plan ahead it kept fluctuating and I was a bit discouraged, Planning the meal ahead keeps you on track, at least for me it does. Keeps me motivated. Good Luck with your fitness goals.
  • LadyBlueDragon
    LadyBlueDragon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do this with supper, I have already eaten some of my calories and I use this to see what & how much I can eat.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always log ahead and just amend it as needed. Helps me plan what I'll eat over the day and also to get my macros nice and close to target. Of course, not every day ends up working out the way you intended but I find it helps me a lot.