Less Meat

Options
13»

Replies

• crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    . But I have tasted some vegetarian meals and some are tasty. I was thinking of getting a vegetarian cookbook to try out some recipes.

They really are very tasty! Today I had a Vegan meal for lunch. It was Mayan Harvest Bake by Kashi and had plantains and stuff in it, honestly one of the best lunches I've ever had! And that is Vegan so limiting what you eat even more. If you are only looking at vegetarian stuff you have so many more options. Many of my favorite foods are naturally vegetarian, such as Mac n cheese, Peanut Butter and Jelly, fettucine alfredo, and bruschetta. Those are just a few of the things I loved even while eating meat full time.

I also realized that my family would often toss meat into certain recipes that didn't even need it. Like having spaghetti, and we throw ground beef into the sauce.... honestly there wasn't much need for that to be there. The sauce is tasty enough, and it just adds texture. If you want the added texture add mushrooms! There is like this whole new world of food opening up for me and I love it!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly vegetarian meals but do eat meat (general term) 2-3 times a week. I do not call myself a vegetarian because I am not and "semi-vegetarian" can be confusing to others, if someone asks I tell them "I just don't eat a lot of meat." Still a bit of an oddity for Texas.
    Social gatherings can be awkward but that mostly comes when you or the host makes too big a deal about it. If you scout out what might be served you will probably realize there are things for you to eat. Depending on your preferences and motivations you can remove the meat from a dish like picking sausage off pizza. Or offer to bring something. A lot of restaurants will accomodate you if you ask for a vegetarian meal even if you don't see it on their menu. It might not be up to par with their meat offerings but I don't think you'll go hungry.
    Beans and lentils are great and I currently get a good bit of my protein from dairy (not sure what your take is on that.) You can absolutely get the nutrients you need from a diet with minimal meat intake but you should pay closer attention to your macro and micronutrients to make sure you do not become deficient.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Geniune question here, not trying to be awkward, what's the difference between flexitarian and onivore?

A flexitarian, as I see it, is someone who is consciously choosing to replace some meat based meals with veggie meals.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Not going full blown vegetarian, but after watching a few documentaries on netflix, I've decided to at least reduce my meat intake. Over the last 2 weeks I have only had meat twice, and I don't really miss it. I am really enjoying vegetarian recipes, and it turns out beans taste really good and are filling!

I've heard that if you stop eating meat, after awhile your body will no longer be able to process it and you'll get sick if you try to eat it.... anyone ever heard the same?

if you eat it once a week, a couple times a week, whatever, that's not rarely enough to give your digestive system issues. good for you man!