eHarmony experience?

Options
Since you all are one of my new networks I figured there may be some insight out there into eHarmony. Has anyone ever tried it out? I have read that there can be challenges stopping your subscription or matches not being there once you sign up. Any insight or reccomendations? Thanks!

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    i just joined match.com yesterday.
  • CSimpson
    CSimpson Posts: 20
    Options
    I used eHarmony a couple of years ago and did not have a good experience. I was matched with individuals who might have seemed like a good fit on paper but in reality were people I would never date. I'm sure other people have had the opposite experience but I met my current boyfriend on Match.com. The only thing with that site that you have to watch out for is that a lot of the people on there are just looking to hook up and many of them are not interested in pursuing relationships. There definitely are some genuine people on Match and maybe you'll meet someone.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have tried it and had great success and later married the people they are met. All of them still going strong. My roommate and I joined about a year or two ago. Neither one of us had good luck. Like a previous post it was a lot of people who I wouldn't really date. A lot of them were looking to hook up as well. Kinda weird people would pay that kinda money just for a hook up. I found the daily matches very overwhelming. If you couldn't get on for a day or two you were bombarded with about 100 matches to go through and choose if you wanted to contact or not. I also didn't like the million different "phases" of communication. I know that's how they match you but it just seems tedious. Maybe it's because I'm an inpatient person and this is just my experience.I know there are lots of people who have had great luck. Good luck to you!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I used lavalife.com 5 years ago, I married the man of my dreams and we have two beautiful girls together. I knew the minute we were matched that he was the one...and so did he!
    Dreams can come true....
  • lecarter
    lecarter Posts: 15
    Options
    Was it hard to cancel your account when you decided to stop?
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I signed up at EHarmony during one of those Promo Free things, and I did not have anyone to match with me :( I tried a few more times and same thing..Maybe I am just strange and they didnt have any matches for me LOL..I didnt like the million questions u had to go thru in the beginning only to be told at the end of the long drawn out process that they had no matches..

I would just say, like with any online dating or singles site, be careful and check them out first before handing over money..

Good luck
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    No you just have to go online and do it. Just do it before the billing cuts off. They called me after I canceled my membership. Wanted me to rejoin. I still get emails for special "offers" and they even sent me stuff in the mail which kinda ticked me off. Seems like if you don't meet someone they wont leave you alone.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    i hated eharmony. too many questions and then they denied me. i met my last boyfriend (and a few other good guys on yahoo personals). i'm trying match this time. what is lavalife?
  • squoozyq
    Options
    Just went in and deleted my profile and to be honest, I didn't even have to pay. My now husband 'smiled' at me and we started emailing, then the one phone call and we met and here we are! (he paid for his membership)
  • jsturman
    jsturman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I met my "now" husband on Match.com 7 years ago (at age 44).............................dated for 2 years and now married for 5, and still very happy! My best advice is to be very honest (especially with your photo!), and email/talk on the phone often before meeting for coffee or a drink.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    I agree with the photo thing 100%. Take a very current and honest picture! A lot of people post pics that are several years old! If you have time and patience for all the questions go for it. What's it going to hurt? You don't like it cancel it.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    My mother and my brother both found their SO's on Match.com.....and they both really liked it.

(I met my love on here...totally by accident!...lol)
  • Rev_no_Boosh
    Options
    My Mom had good and bad experiences on eHarmony. She met my step-dad on Match.

The good: The database matched her and my dad at one point (her ex husband) and her and her brother. So it really does look at age and values, but maybe a little too well.

The bad: A couple of the guys she met on there were nothing like their profile described. It only really works if you're honest and/or self-aware enough to know yourself.

@Erica: I randomly met mine on here too! Weird. :wink:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I know some people who have met their spouses on eHarmony. I have tried it and, for me, I felt like it was too restrictive. I didn't like the way it forced me into a very slow, methodical approach to contacting people. Like, first you send a notification that you are interested, then you send each other four or five pre-determined questions to answer, then blah blah blah. I wanted to exchange a couple of messages and then meet for coffee pretty quickly because it doesn't matter how great someone seems on paper or in an email exchange, if their mannerisms in person make them seem like a total creep, I am not interested. I felt like on eHarmony, I was going to spend a lot of time just getting to the stage where I could even find out that they were a weirdo. But, that's just me. I think it is a good site especially for those who are a little hesitant about the idea of meeting someone online and want to approach it very cautiously. I'm not so hesitant, so I got impatient.

I met my boyfriend on OkCupid. I had a lot of so-so experiences before meeting him, though.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My mom tried eHarmony. She ended up dating a schmuck.

Then she tried lavalife, and ended up dating a schmuck-and-a-half. She's done with internet dating.

However, I used dating.com (before it became a pay site), and I met my husband there. He kept showing up as a 94% match for me and I finally thought "y'know, if he emails me, I'll know that he's the one". The next day I had a letter... we spent a few months chatting online and on the phone (we lived in different cities), and then I moved to my current city (where he lived) for my second year in university, and that was it. Met him that day, met his family that day, and we've been together ever since. Nearly 9 years together, now.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    haha Ive never tried any actual "dating" sites, but I did find my current bf (and the one before him) on myspace.
    I dont know if they still have it, but you used to be able to search for people with certain interests in a certain distance from your location.
    My current and I have been together on and off for 5 years (of course, we were broken up for a year at some point, but as soon as we started talking again there was that attraction again lol)

So....I dont know if dating sites are worth paying for if youre willing to randomly message people that seem interesting :P
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've been married to the guy I met on match.com for five years this September. We lived 180 miles apart when we met.

My friend married her guy from EHarmony. She is super super picky and that site worked for her.

My other friend has been in a long term relationship (7+ yrs) with a guy she met on match.com.

I found match.com to be fun.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    married to a guy I met on Lavalife - 6 years this October, 2 princesses :heart:
    I dated a lot of jacka$$es, liars, narcissists - about a year before I met my husband.
  • squoozyq
    Options
    married to a guy I met on Lavalife - 6 years this October, 2 princesses :heart:
    I dated a lot of jacka$$es, liars, narcissists - about a year before I met my husband.
    How funny is it that I met my husband on lavalife and we have two daughters too! Hmmmm.......strange.
    We married October 10th....and have been together 5 years......wow, weird man.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Awesome - we married October 23rd :)
    How old are your girls?