Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Our girls are 3 and 1.....too funny eh?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    and your canadian too - and we are looking at the same target weight.... we're living parallel lives!
  • HopeWillard
    Options
    I tried E Harmony 4 years ago and had no luck. I went to Match.com and Plentyoffish. I had better results with Plentyoffish and its free!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com - we've been married almost 5 years and together for 7. He never showed up on my "matches" because he did not want kids and well... I had one. We met one night while we were both online and bored... he's the love of my life and I knew it the moment I met him in real life. We talked on the phone for about 2 weeks before we met in person.

A couple of months before we met he tried to sign up for E Harmony and was rejected. I have no idea WHY they would reject him... he's truly the best person I know. He's financially sound, emotionally stable, loving, caring, giving and as it turns out... the best dad a kid could ever have asked for.

On the other hand - one of the strangest guys I've ever known - was accepted on E Harmony and has had a million first dates.

I have several friends who met their spouses on Match.com and I'd recommend it to anyone. Definitely be honest about who you are and what you want. Put a recent picture on the website. Someone is either going to like you for YOU or not... better to have that all out of the way before you meet. Be picky.... google usernames... it can tell you a lot. Also... when you go to meet someone for the first time - have a "code" set up with a friend... so they know to send the cavalry if things go awry.
    The first guy I dated on Match.com took me to a mexican restaurant. I had my mom call me mid-meal. She knew that if I said I ordered the enchiladas... all was good. Tacos.... create an "emergency". Chile Rallenos... call 911. LOL - I told her it was enchiladas - with that guy it should have been tacos.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I found e-Harmony too restrictive as well. Then I went on to Match.com. I was simply looking for a blind date because I had never been on one before. After I had my mediocre blind date, I was satisfied, and went to cancel Match. It did take a few months, which was frustrating, but in the meantime started chatting with a soldier deployed in Iraq. I was getting my degree in theology at the time, and he was a Christian far from home. We became friends simply to discuss faith. This summer will be 2 years of marriage bliss that I didn't know was possible!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was on Match for about 5 years with no luck. Very few of my dates were "second-date-worthy". But, I stuck with it so long because many of my friends had success and were married from Match. For me, it was too much work to have to constantly search for people, get up the nerve to contact them, and then not really hear back...or, finally go on a date, only to realize that we didn't "fit".

Then I tried eHarmony, and for me, the difference was clear. Most of my dates were "second-date-worthy", and I am engaged to "Guy Number 4" right now. For me, the long questionnaire was worthwhile because it really made a difference in pairing me with compatible people.

It certainly sounds like what works for some people does not necessarily work for all. I would just give something a try, and know that if you are not happy with it, there are plenty of other options out there. Good luck!
  • melliz73
    melliz73 Posts: 14
    Options
    Tried eHarmony and match.com at the same time...mostly to just meet some people since I had just moved to the area...ended up hating eHarmony but met my current BF on match. We were really perfect for each other all the way around but spent the first month or so emailing and then talking on the phone. Our first date sealed the deal and we have been together for 3 years!
  • missygal
    missygal Posts: 60
    Options
    I met my husband 12 years ago from a dating thing in the paper called Introductions. (don't think its around anymore) We talked for awhile before actually meeting...then that same day he went to my birthday dinner with my entire family, a movie that evening, then church the next day! I knew I had a keeper or a stalker lol!

Been married 10 years now...very happy!!!
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I tried signing up for an eHarmony account. Being a lesbian, I was unsuccessful as they do not have a I am a "Woman"--Looking for "Woman". eHarmony is for breeders only so I was out of luck. Good thing I didn't need luck though.....I'm happy as ever now with my ex-girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, ex-girlfriend.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I tried signing up for an eHarmony account. Being a lesbian, I was unsuccessful as they do not have a I am a "Woman"--Looking for "Woman". eHarmony is for breeders only so I was out of luck. Good thing I didn't need luck though.....I'm happy as ever now with my ex-girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, ex-girlfriend.

First of all... LOL!!! Second... hmmmm... interesting what you said about "breeders" - I wonder if that's why EHarmony rejected my husband ... because he didn't want to have children? Oh well - glad that he wasn't successful on EHarmony because then I'd have never met him...
    Glad that you've found happiness!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

First of all... LOL!!! Second... hmmmm... interesting what you said about "breeders" - I wonder if that's why eHarmony rejected my husband ... because he didn't want to have children? Oh well - glad that he wasn't successful on eHarmony because then I'd have never met him...
    Glad that you've found happiness!

I don't recall what the criteria for being rejected on eHarmony might be, but when I tried it, I indicated I didn't want kids, and that didn't stop them from accepting me and wasting my time. EVERY ONE of the matches they sent me was "involved in another relationship" and "not available." When I questioned why the site would still send their names out there if they had indicated they were "off the market" I got non satisfactory information. I cancelled my membership. As I recall, there were several emails back and forth before they finally processed my request. Every time I see one of their ads, I scowl. For me it was a giant waste of time.

I am glad to hear that some have been successful with it and other sites. On match.com I met this guy who apparently was writing to so many people he couldn't keep his stories straight. I never met him. In yahoo personals, there was someone who got very hostile and threatening when I declined to meet him just because he was coming to my town. I could already tell from the IM's that there was no chance we were going to work. He smoked and that was a non-negotiable point for me. There were other things too, like him being very conservative politically, which wouldn't work for me.

I started out politely enough declining the meeting. It did conflict with something else. He didn't take no for an answer and basically told me I was "stupid" for missing this golden opportunity to meet God's gift to the female population. I wrote him back an IM that gave explicit directions for where he could stick his ego. I won't get specific here, but let's just say as large as it was, he would have found it difficult to sit down for some time to come!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As soon as I sent the message, I BLOCKED him. That was the end of that!!!

I am now registered on a site that is related to my faith, and there is no cost because I haven't subscribed. They keep matching me with people that I cannot imagine even talking to after I read their profile. I have about decided to delete my info. I am not really "looking" that hard. There isn't much of a market for middle fifties women with three canine "children."

Good luck to all!!