Why am I getting the shakes so badly?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat for quite a while now, but just realized that was only living the illusion that I was eating well. I was eating less food, but the food that I was eating was loaded with sodium (Lean Cuisine is a farce btw.) and other crappy ingredients. Anyway. Now that I am actually eating good food, thanks to this site, I am finding that I get the shakes before my first large meal of the day.

I used to have things like from-concentrate orange juice with a pop-tart (Terrible--I know) or some other sugary cereal etc.

I am now having a glass of Strawberry-Banana Naked juice and an english muffin with some fat-free cream cheese.

Am I going through sugar withdrawls because I used to eat really crappy stuff or am I just not getting enough to eat? I am having a snack before dinner as well which is usually some vanilla yogurt with granola or like a Cliff-Bar.

Hope I gave you all enough information to at least point me in the right direction. I am on a computer all day so the shakes are pretty bad to have.

Thanks everyone!
    How is 29 grams of sugar at 160 calories (Naked Juice) much better than 194 calories and 13g sugar (Poptart) pasteurized juice isn't that healthful also considering they enrich it... meaning they add back the vitamins they strip from it to make it shelf stable. Sodium isn't bad for you. I think you've been duped by things people label as "healthy" and "not."
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    No idea what to add. Clearly you didn't want to hear anything anyone else already said because you've already explained why none of it can possibly be right. You win. Move on.

.......all I did was rule out possibilities.....I was just tested for hyperglycemia so it is possible, but unlikely. I eat enough protein so I am safely assuming it isn't that. I have been all ears here. I was just ruling out possibilites that are unlikely.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am going at about 1500 calories per day
    Found the problem...

I get the shakes most days if I am under 2400 calories...... You're a man, so eat like a man.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,035 Member
    Options
    No idea what to add. Clearly you didn't want to hear anything anyone else already said because you've already explained why none of it can possibly be right. You win. Move on.

Get out of my head. :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Get out of my head. :laugh:

I apologize for infiltrating your mind :bigsmile:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    low blood sugar or in other words hypoglycemia could be the problem. Eat some toast or drink some juice.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Probably not withdraw from sugar. I don't think I ever shook to the point of worry when cutting out gross sugary foods. Caffeine withdraw, yes I shook. Did you cut out caffeine? Do you have a lot of stress? I shake really bad when I'm stressed out too.

Only probably I could see with the sugar idea you have is low blood sugar. Otherwise, no idea. Go to the doctors if it is bad enough to worry about.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    don't drink juice, eat the fruit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You clearly need to eat pop tarts again. God hates you for cutting them out of your diet.
  • dollada06
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat for quite a while now, but just realized that was only living the illusion that I was eating well. I was eating less food, but the food that I was eating was loaded with sodium (Lean Cuisine is a farce btw.) and other crappy ingredients. Anyway. Now that I am actually eating good food, thanks to this site, I am finding that I get the shakes before my first large meal of the day.

I used to have things like from-concentrate orange juice with a pop-tart (Terrible--I know) or some other sugary cereal etc.

I am now having a glass of Strawberry-Banana Naked juice and an english muffin with some fat-free cream cheese.

Am I going through sugar withdrawls because I used to eat really crappy stuff or am I just not getting enough to eat? I am having a snack before dinner as well which is usually some vanilla yogurt with granola or like a Cliff-Bar.

Hope I gave you all enough information to at least point me in the right direction. I am on a computer all day so the shakes are pretty bad to have.

Thanks everyone!
    How is 29 grams of sugar at 160 calories (Naked Juice) much better than 194 calories and 13g sugar (Poptart) pasteurized juice isn't that healthful also considering they enrich it... meaning they add back the vitamins they strip from it to make it shelf stable. Sodium isn't bad for you. I think you've been duped by things people label as "healthy" and "not."

Very very possible. I am not a nutritionist by any means. I read on different sites that there is a difference in the type of sugar and that the sugars in natural fruit juices are actually not bad for you. They still need to be in moderation, but they aren't bad like if it were from high-fructose corn syrup. I don't blindly follow everything I read on the internet, but I guess it did make some sense to me when they say sugar from fruit isn't the same as sugar from a pop tart or something with corn syrup. I really don't know. WasI duped here?
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sounds like blood sugar issues, or possibly thyroid issues! Personally I'd get it checked out.
  • dollada06
    Options
    don't drink juice, eat the fruit.

I do eat fruit as well I don't want to make you all think that me drinking a fruit juice is an entire substitute for my fruit intake.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar. However, eating a piece of fruit also gives you fiber and it less processed than juice.
  • dollada06
    Options
    Probably not withdraw from sugar. I don't think I ever shook to the point of worry when cutting out gross sugary foods. Caffeine withdraw, yes I shook. Did you cut out caffeine? Do you have a lot of stress? I shake really bad when I'm stressed out too.

Only probably I could see with the sugar idea you have is low blood sugar. Otherwise, no idea. Go to the doctors if it is bad enough to worry about.

If it gets bad I will certainly go back to the doctor. It really isn't unbearable or anything like that. I guess I phrased my title a little on the extreme side. They aren't uncontrollable or anything like that. They are just new to me.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have hypoglycemia to me. You need protein at every meal to keep your blood sugar levels balanced. Try greek yogurt or eggs for breakfast and don't wait too long before you eat in the morning and also don't go too long of a stretch between meals.
    So eat protein, eat/drink less sugar, and eat often. See if that helps.

^^^^ this. I've been there. I have to stuff down protein before my 6 a.m. spin class in the morning or I'll spin myself right off the bike! :happy: Also eat good stuff all.the.freakin.time. People make fun of me at work but I pretty much eat all day long (fruit and veg) so I don't get tingley. ( my shakes = tingles)
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options

.......all I did was rule out possibilities.....I was just tested for hyperglycemia so it is possible, but unlikely. I eat enough protein so I am safely assuming it isn't that. I have been all ears here. I was just ruling out possibilites that are unlikely.

It sounds like you may need help beyond what MFP alone can offer. I also agree that you should talk to a doctor (or a nutritionist at least). Remember that "enough" for protien (or any other item) is not defined by this website. Your body has specific needs that a general calculator may not generate accurately. Look at your calorie intake (you probably shouldn't have a defecit of more than aroun 500 cal), and I always go over the site number for protien. But seriously, go talk to a professional, getting the shakes isn't normal. It could also be something non-diet related that has surfaced now. I'm actually kind of worried for you. Also, some have said you're kind of negating possibilities. I'm not saying that's the case, but if you shell out for an individualized expert opinion of someone who's seen your bloodwork, you'll certainly be more likely to take what they have to say to heart. Best of luck to you, and I really suggest you get this checked out before whatever's going on with you worsens.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be getting low blood sugar overnight. This could easily be the result of your diet. Honestly, it still seems like you are eating too much sugar. It might help to replace the juice with whole fruit, pick a bread with more fiber, and switch from fat free to either low-fat or regular cream cheese. Right now it seems like almost all of your calories are coming from processed carbohydrates. Even naked juice is processed - all of the fiber has been removed! Aim for a balanced diet where you are getting approximately the same number of calories from carbs, fat, and protein. This should help keep blood sugar levels stable throughout the day.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    FYI, the strawberry banana naked juice has more sugar than the same amount of OJ.

Yeah, but it isn't the same kind of sugar. It is the "healthy" sugar. From-Concentrate OJ is just plain sweetened sugar.

No.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Very very possible. I am not a nutritionist by any means. I read on different sites that there is a difference in the type of sugar and that the sugars in natural fruit juices are actually not bad for you. They still need to be in moderation, but they aren't bad like if it were from high-fructose corn syrup. I don't blindly follow everything I read on the internet, but I guess it did make some sense to me when they say sugar from fruit isn't the same as sugar from a pop tart or something with corn syrup. I really don't know. WasI duped here?

OJ, even from concentrate, and Naked Juice both get their sugar from fructose. Neither one includes the natural fibers - that is probably more significant than the sugar source.

However, as far as I know, no one has ever done a study comparing eating a piece of fruit to drinking a similar portion of glucose and fiber.

The same goes for Lean Cuisine - they aren't whole foods, but they aren't aren't a farce, as they never claimed to be the healthiest alternative, just a reasonable attempt at portion control. Certainly no worse than what they do to make fat free cream cheese.

To reiterate, as a young male of undisclosed height, 1500 calories may be too few to keep your body properly fueled. The fact that you seem to be making arbitrary decisions about what is healthy may also mean that your diet is unbalanced.
  • sremarie
    sremarie Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't appeal to our "expertise." Appeal to your doctor's.

Agreed!