Why am I getting the shakes so badly?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FYI, the strawberry banana naked juice has more sugar than the same amount of OJ.

Yeah, but it isn't the same kind of sugar. It is the "healthy" sugar. From-Concentrate OJ is just plain sweetened sugar.

sugar is sugar, sorry to ruin it for you. but sugar ain't the devil, so it's okay.

put me in the camp that believes you're undereating in general. diary is closed so it's just a guess. but based on your comments amount snacks and sugar i'm betting you're way light on daily cals
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am going at about 1500 calories per day
    Found the problem...

I get the shakes most days if I am under 2400 calories...... You're a man, so eat like a man.

Im with this guy!!!! EAT!!!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia and that happens to me if I eat to many carbs and not enough protein. I can't see your diary but I bet you eat a lot of processed carbs. Have protein with every meal. When it happens I have a spoonful of peanut butter and it goes away within 15 minutes.
  • ndirish4life
    Options
    Don't appeal to our "expertise." Appeal to your doctor's.

THIS times A THOUSAND.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    FYI, the strawberry banana naked juice has more sugar than the same amount of OJ.

Yeah, but it isn't the same kind of sugar. It is the "healthy" sugar. From-Concentrate OJ is just plain sweetened sugar.

Please tell me more about this healthy sugar.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't appeal to our "expertise." Appeal to your doctor's.
    Agreed...it sounds like low blood sugar to me as well (as I have this problem too), but you keep responding"no, its not that" to everything everyone is suggesting here.

There's clearly something wrong..go see a doctor. Good luck!

I am only saying its not a lack of protein and not hypoglycemia. I eat enough protein since I am above and beyond what myfitnesspal recommends and I was tested for hypoglycemia. I'm not trying to say people dont know what they are talking about. I am just helping rule things out.

MFP is actually low on the protein calculations unless you have gone in and manually changed your macros.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am now having a glass of Strawberry-Banana Naked juice and an english muffin with some fat-free cream cheese.

Am I going through sugar withdrawls because I used to eat really crappy stuff or am I just not getting enough to eat? I am having a snack before dinner as well which is usually some vanilla yogurt with granola or like a Cliff-Bar.

All of these things still have loads of sugar - Naked Juice, vanilla yogurt, granola, cliff-bar.

Can you try sugar alternatives? No juice, plain yogurt, homemade protein bars with very little to no sugar etc. And fill up on tons of vegetables and protein.
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options

sugar is sugar, sorry to ruin it for you. but sugar ain't the devil, so it's okay.

put me in the camp that believes you're undereating in general. diary is closed so it's just a guess. but based on your comments amount snacks and sugar i'm betting you're way light on daily cals

I kinda think the same. Just for my own knowlege would you mind running me through an average meal day. If I am getting the shakes by 10am does that mean I haven't eaten enough up to that point or does that mean i'm not eating enough as a whole because when I eat they go away and I don't get them again the whole day. Just around 10ish each morning at work.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have hypoglycemia to me. You need protein at every meal to keep your blood sugar levels balanced. Try greek yogurt or eggs for breakfast and don't wait too long before you eat in the morning and also don't go too long of a stretch between meals.
    So eat protein, eat/drink less sugar, and eat often. See if that helps.

It's not that. I was actually tested for hopoglycemia at my last physical. That and hyperthyroid.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    You clearly need to eat pop tarts again. God hates you for cutting them out of your diet.

:flowerforyou:
    a.w.e.s.o.m.e.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    I had to increase the fat content as well as the protein content of my breakfasts to keep from getting hungry and shaky before lunch. It doesn't take a lot of fat for me; a couple pieces of bacon OR a piece of sausage OR a small handful of almonds, etc, but if I cut back too much on the fat, it's a problem.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I obviously don't know how to quote. you can't be "tested" for hypoglycemia because typically you aren't always hypoglycemic. The only way to know for sure is to have your sugar tested right when you are having the symptoms. Otherwise, it won't tell you the full picture. I have normal blood sugar most of the time but if I keep my carbs and sugars high and my protein low I get hypoglycemic. shakes, sweats, unable to concentrate, etc, until I eat again and it stabilizes.

I've found if I keep my protein at least around 100g I can avoid this. I have to have lots of protein early in the day. I would swap out the English muffin and juice for maybe eggs, milk, greek yogurt, etc. Something with a lot more protein and see if you feel any better.
  • dollada06
    Options
    I am now having a glass of Strawberry-Banana Naked juice and an english muffin with some fat-free cream cheese.

Am I going through sugar withdrawls because I used to eat really crappy stuff or am I just not getting enough to eat? I am having a snack before dinner as well which is usually some vanilla yogurt with granola or like a Cliff-Bar.

All of these things still have loads of sugar - Naked Juice, vanilla yogurt, granola, cliff-bar.

Can you try sugar alternatives? No juice, plain yogurt, homemade protein bars with very little to no sugar etc. And fill up on tons of vegetables and protein.

I am not saying you are wrong in any way here, but I have kept my daily suggested sugar intake according to MFP below what it suggests. Is that number still too high? or am I just getting that sugar from the wrong stuff (ie juice and such)?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    do you live in an earthquake prone area? Do you own a shakeweight?
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Found the problem...

I get the shakes most days if I am under 2400 calories...... You're a man, so eat like a man.

Yep, you're (edit) probably... not eating enough. For a few days, add a few hundred calories back to your diet and see if you still get the shakes. I will bet that you don't. Meaning, you're not eating enough and your running on empty by the time you do eat.
  • dollada06
    Options
    Sorry, I obviously don't know how to quote. you can't be "tested" for hypoglycemia because typically you aren't always hypoglycemic. The only way to know for sure is to have your sugar tested right when you are having the symptoms. Otherwise, it won't tell you the full picture. I have normal blood sugar most of the time but if I keep my carbs and sugars high and my protein low I get hypoglycemic. shakes, sweats, unable to concentrate, etc, until I eat again and it stabilizes.

I've found if I keep my protein at least around 100g I can avoid this. I have to have lots of protein early in the day. I would swap out the English muffin and juice for maybe eggs, milk, greek yogurt, etc. Something with a lot more protein and see if you feel any better.

I know nothing about the process. The vampire lady came in. Took my blood and "tested" it for hyper and/or hypothyroid because it runs in my family. When I was told about the results they said that in addition to not having thyroid problems I wasn't hypoglycemic. Now--whether they meant AT THAT VERY MOMENT I have no clue. I know nothing. They said I am not hypoglycemic and I said "Woo Hoo" inside and assumed I wasn't.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It may not be simply protein or sugar, but how you combine them (or don't) that is the problem. If you combine fruit with protein and fat, your blood sugar won't rise as rapidly, and subsequently crash.

You may want to do some reading about the glycemic load. It's a little more complicated than glycemic index, but in the meantime you can get some good information here about the glycemic index:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Hope you find the right answer.
  • dollada06
    Options
    Found the problem...

Yep, you're not eating enough. For a few days, add a few hundred calories back to your diet and see if you still get the shakes. I will bet that you don't. Meaning, you're not eating enough and your running on empty by the time you do eat.

Thank you for being sensible. All the people saying "OMG GET TO A DOCTOR YOU ARE HYPERGLYCEMIC AND YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" were getting irritating. I was assuming it was because of the change in my diet, but I was trying to hammer down exactly what.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    Found the problem...

Yep, you're not eating enough. For a few days, add a few hundred calories back to your diet and see if you still get the shakes. I will bet that you don't. Meaning, you're not eating enough and your running on empty by the time you do eat.

LIKE I SAID on page one. EAT MORE.

A man shouldn't be eating under 1800 - ever.

A man who has any kind of job shouldn't be eating under 2100 - ever - unless he is morbidly obese, and even then the low recommendation is still 1800. Eat more and you will stop shaking.

Peace, out. Good luck.

Here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree, try adding protein to your meals. I think it would help, especially in the morning when you are eating on an empty stomach. It would keep you from having such drastic highs and lows on sugar, irregardless of "diagnosis". As I've gotten older, this is just a common sense judgement call I've had to learn to make to stay balanced.