How much money do you spend on food weekly?

Options
124»

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    About £50 a week, £25 at the store and the rest on eating out (about once a week) and snacks while I'm at uni.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Usually around 40$ a week. Whether it be a food restock, or protein/supplement restock.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Family of 6 plus pets here.
    I spend around 80-100 Euro (100-130$) per week on grocery shopping.
    (2 adults, 4 kids, 2 cats & 1 snake)
    :bigsmile:
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I only shop once every two weeks, but I usually spend about $100-$130.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe how little some of you spend!

We spend $130-150/week for two adults (myself and my husband). Some months we've spent $600-700! That includes everything we buy at the grocery store though (toiletries, cleaning supplies, cat litter, etc.).

I live in Canada where groceries tend to be more than you lucky people in the States :) A 1 lb bag of frozen shrimp costs $10 and 4 lb box of frozen chicken is easily $25-30 (if not on sale).

I try to buy generic store brands vs. brand names and I try to buy things on sale but it still all adds up!

Ouch, that IS pricy. I make my own soap and shampoo, so I don't really need to buy that stuff. The other things I buy in bulk once every great while :)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Less than $50 per week for me (preggo lady), husband, and 3.5 year old; with $75 for the first week of the month. (this includes non-food items like toilet paper, cat litter, etc, but diapers and such are purchased through Amazon Sub-n-Save and are a separate line item in the budget).

We eat a lot of beans, rice, potatoes, and chicken. The only frozen foods we buy are veggies (in the winter), ice cream, and frozen strawberries (bribe for the preschooler).
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).
    I'm a family of four and we usually come it at around $60-$75/ week. I do a lot of couponing so I can get things much cheaper. We also go to Sam's to buy things like chicken in bulk for much cheaper.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'll be the outlier. Just my husband and I at home, except when college-aged son is home on break. We spend $130-150 per week for food for the two of us (includes cleaning and paper products). That goes to fish three times a week, chicken twice, vegetarian and beef both once per week; fresh vegetables and salad-fixings every night; fresh fruit every day for both of us. Also usually buy gluten-free crackers/snacks, greek yogurt, milk, eggs, cheese, nuts, few condiments. We do not eat any meals out -- including lunches; he works from home and usually has the left-overs while I pack salad stuff. I make home-made granola, hummus, breakfast bars. We're very lucky that we can afford to eat this way, but I am always amazed at how little some folks are able to spend on healthy foods. Maybe living in New England has something to do with the prices?

You just made me feel better. We spend about this much for 2 people in NC too. We buy a lot of organic for dinners, frozen meals for both our lunches since it is cheaper then eating out every work day. Plus we buy all natural cleaning products too which ups our bills. It can be expensive but I feel better knowing I am doing my part for mother earth.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    About $100/125 a week for a family of 5.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I spend about $100/week for myself and a 6 year old. I buy fresh Salmon every week and a ton of fruits and veggies.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    About 80-100$ (CND) a week for a family of 4. Sometimes a bit more if there is a really great sale on a certain item, Like chicken breasts. :)
    meal planning, shopping sales and cooking from scratch helps cut down the cost for us.
    ( for 2 adults, a teenage boy and a 10yr old girl :) )
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I spend over $600 /month on average (2 people & 1 small dog who eats raw :-)

I buy mostly all organic produce, grass fed meats, organic dairy etc.

Health is well worth the investment!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm almost disgusted with how much I spend based on the above answers. :-/

I spend on average £120-£200 every 7-10 days for 2 Adults which is $181-$303.

I buy all my meat in bulk from a special supplier who caters for Athletes. I only eat Grass Fed Beef & Lamb and we only eat Free Range Chicken and Outdoor Raised Pork. We also only eat Organic/Free Range Eggs. This is probably £120-£180 a month dependant on what we buy.

We don't eat out on a regular basis, maybe once a month someplace high end rather than take out/fast food etc so this budget is for 3 meals a day for 2 adults, including snacks.

I don't buy pre-prepared meals, this is just for raw ingredients and we buy a shed load of organic vegetables & exotic fruits (Not really Apple eaters in our house).

I wouldn't be, I hope I don't get hate for this, but I think food prices are a good bit lower in the US. I live in Canada "near" the border and us Canadians often make special trips to the US to buy gas, canned goods, even milk, etc. I know the price difference has evened out since the Canadian and US dollar became close to par, but it is still so much cheaper in the US.

I spend about 80-100$ a week on just myself. I don't eat very much red meat, if I do it's treat on the weekend and it's grass fed organic. I eat organic as much as possible and avoid processed foods which definitely makes the total higher.

I feel so much better now. I was thinking the food must be pretty cheap in the US if you all can spend what you do on groceries.

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know how much the essentials are if anyone could help me out. Would be great for comparison. :)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I spend over $600 /month on average (2 people & 1 small dog who eats raw :-)

I buy mostly all organic produce, grass fed meats, organic dairy etc.

Health is well worth the investment!

I spend about half that a mnth on 4 people and we eat organic, grass fed also. Good health does not have to be the investment. I invest my time to make the most of our money. I grow and can or freeze our own veggies each I summer to use all year round. and since I live in a milder climate I can grow winter veggies also. I belong to a organic crop share for other things that I can't grow as well on my own. We buy our meat from a local organic farm by the half cow and pig. They also have poultry. My neighbor has chickens and we trade yard work for her eggs each week. And while it may sound like I live n the country with neighborhood chickens and veggie gardens I don't. I live in the city just outside seattle.