When I can't eat all my calories...

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but I Was going to post a similar question. I'm having this problem also and the frequency is beginning to worry me. I try to plan my meals, but exercise throws me all off. Right now I have 543 calories left. I've met my fat macros, but I am under my carbs by 65 and protein by 70. So anything I could possibly eat make up the 545 will throw off my fats. I'm really confused. I could have some cashews (one of the few nuts I can eat) but that would screw up my fat intake. I need some 'dense' foods that are not avocados or almonds because I cannot eat those. I am not trying to under eat or jeopardize myself.

what is your fat set at? %-wise?

I recently changed my goals to meet 40/30/30. I only recently started logging on MFP. Was using another website and having the same issues.

Carbs: 131g
    Fats: 44g
    Protein: 98g

In my opinion I would switch the number of grams of carbs, for the number of grams of fat.

A little more protein wouldn't hurt either

I wouldn't go QUITE that far - that would put her in ketosis, which isn't the greatest idea for just anyone to do without doing a lot of research beforehand.

40/30/30 is good. I was worried you were doing something like 10 or 15% fat. but 30 is ok. Personally I do 55%, but it took me a while to get to the place where I realized that was ok and wasn't going to do me harm. In fact, it's done the opposite and my body fat is lower than ever.

if you just need carbs and protein, chomp on some fruits for the carbs, and do you have whey or another powdered protein to make a shake with? those are always nice in a pinch - ala my earlier comments
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Why not bank it for the weekend and then enjoy yourself with some wiggle room a drink or an appetizer? Cheat meals aren't cheat meals if you plan for them. If you're way under, drink a protein shake and take a multi-vitamin. Don't over-perfect this unless you are a fitness competitor. Learn how to be a normal eater unless for some reason you can't be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    assuming you hit your protein and fat goals... u should fill the remaining cals with carbohydrates it would be the most optimal choice.
    At her age? I disagree.

But first, I'd like to see her diary. What's she eating? Is she eating sugar laden low fat foods? I'd suggest going for the real thing... etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't immediately jump to "eat carbs".

What do you mean 'at her age'?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Try to eat more calorie dense foods, but also try to eat that which will hit your macros. If you are low on fats, cook with oils/butter or have some nuts/avocado. if you are low on protein, and eat meat/fish, have some less lean meat/fish or eat/drink full fat dairy.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    assuming you hit your protein and fat goals... u should fill the remaining cals with carbohydrates it would be the most optimal choice.

I disagree, I have found that carb loading does not work as well as consuming fat. When you consume good fats, your body does not stop the fat burning process to get rid of all the extra glucose carb loading would provide.

the opposite of what you said is true ive done lower carb dieting as well... especially for anyone who does anaerobic exercise like weight lifting. if you have trouble consuming enough calories, fat should be consumed because its more calorically dense and easier to hit calorie goals.. at age 50 i would just balance it out thru the day and have a balance with all macros and increase all of them im talking from an athlete/bodybuilder standpoint where carbohydrates would be much greater metabolically.
    Who says she's doing a lower carb diet? Who says she's an athlete/bodybuilder? Perhaps she's just a standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight?

LOL if weight loss is the goal it doesnt matter what she eats... if she exercises AT ALL it would be better to eat carbs... sheesh its not complicated
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options

I disagree, I have found that carb loading does not work as well as consuming fat. When you consume good fats, your body does not stop the fat burning process to get rid of all the extra glucose carb loading would provide.

the opposite of what you said is true ive done lower carb dieting as well... especially for anyone who does anaerobic exercise like weight lifting. if you have trouble consuming enough calories, fat should be consumed because its more calorically dense and easier to hit calorie goals.. at age 50 i would just balance it out thru the day and have a balance with all macros and increase all of them im talking from an athlete/bodybuilder standpoint where carbohydrates would be much greater metabolically.
    Who says she's doing a lower carb diet? Who says she's an athlete/bodybuilder? Perhaps she's just a standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight?

LOL if weight loss is the goal it doesnt matter what she eats... if she exercises AT ALL it would be better to eat carbs... sheesh its not complicated

This makes no sense to me, how did you come to this conclusion?
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but I Was going to post a similar question. I'm having this problem also and the frequency is beginning to worry me. I try to plan my meals, but exercise throws me all off. Right now I have 543 calories left. I've met my fat macros, but I am under my carbs by 65 and protein by 70. So anything I could possibly eat make up the 545 will throw off my fats. I'm really confused. I could have some cashews (one of the few nuts I can eat) but that would screw up my fat intake. I need some 'dense' foods that are not avocados or almonds because I cannot eat those. I am not trying to under eat or jeopardize myself.

I recently changed my goals to meet 40/30/30. I only recently started logging on MFP. Was using another website and having the same issues.

In my opinion I would switch the number of grams of carbs, for the number of grams of fat.

I wouldn't go QUITE that far - that would put her in ketosis, which isn't the greatest idea for just anyone to do without doing a lot of research beforehand.

40/30/30 is good. I was worried you were doing something like 10 or 15% fat. but 30 is ok. Personally I do 55%, but it took me a while to get to the place where I realized that was ok and wasn't going to do me harm. In fact, it's done the opposite and my body fat is lower than ever.

if you just need carbs and protein, chomp on some fruits for the carbs, and do you have whey or another powdered protein to make a shake with? those are always nice in a pinch - ala my earlier comments

I had 2 scoops of protein powder today after my work out w/ lactose free skim milk. I could make another one with water because 2 scoops has 90 cals BUT it has 1 g of fat. My fat as of now is 0. Going over 1 shouldn't hurt right? << my concern.

I found some fat free yogurt hiding behind the kale..woo! Gonna have one of those @ 60 calories. I have some bananas..they look a lil green but I don't think they will hurt me. Maybe I can make some kinda concoction with 1 banana, yogurt and protein powder. That gives me an additional 260 cals. Leaves me with 281cals, 21 carbs and 51 protein. Oy vey!
  • monty619
    Options

.. u can eat twinkies and lose weight if ur still in a deficit, and carbohydrates are more optimal for energy and is better used by the body for better workouts with having more glycogen.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

lol
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    give me some
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    said Crankstr NEVER.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I compromised and mixed my protein shake mix in my cottage cheese just now. ;^)

I suppose if I needed more fat I could mix it with some ice cream...
  • digitalsteel
    Options

.. u can eat twinkies and lose weight if ur still in a deficit, and carbohydrates are more optimal for energy and is better used by the body for better workouts with having more glycogen.

Your body has little room to store glycogen, but unlimited room to store fat. If you consume more foods that turn to glucose in your body, and it is more than your glycogen stores can hold, it gets turned to fat and stored. Look up the chemical process of insulin and lipoprotein lipase. Its there so you don't die of high blood sugar. This is why your body stops burning fat when you eat that way.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol

another useful post from acg! lol
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I compromised and mixed my protein shake mix in my cottage cheese just now. ;^)

You made protein vomit...congrats...:sick:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Your body has little room to store glycogen, but unlimited room to store fat. If you consume more foods that turn to glucose in your body, and it is more than your glycogen stores can hold, it gets turned to fat and stored. Look up the chemical process of insulin and lipoprotein lipase. Its there so you don't die of high blood sugar. This is why your body stops burning fat when you eat that way.

Way to make her diet far more complicated and harder to adhere to than it needs to be...you know..for this ' standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight"...even if it were correct.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I had 2 scoops of protein powder today after my work out w/ lactose free skim milk. I could make another one with water because 2 scoops has 90 cals BUT it has 1 g of fat. My fat as of now is 0. Going over 1 shouldn't hurt right? << my concern.

I found some fat free yogurt hiding behind the kale..woo! Gonna have one of those @ 60 calories. I have some bananas..they look a lil green but I don't think they will hurt me. Maybe I can make some kinda concoction with 1 banana, yogurt and protein powder. That gives me an additional 260 cals. Leaves me with 281cals, 21 carbs and 51 protein. Oy vey!

don't stress. go over on your fat today. macros are guidelines, not hardcore rules. I go over or under my macros all the time. being exact isn't necessary. hitting your calories is MORE important than hitting your macros.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How limited are your stores and how common is DNL in humans?

Curiously enough, protein and calorie matched diets have non significant differences in fat loss, amazing how that happen when your body supposedly stops burning fat according to you
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Way to make her diet far more complicated and harder to adhere to than it needs to be...you know..for this ' standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight"...even if it were correct.

I don't see how this makes it more complicated. to me it seems easier to make a decision if you understand why you are making it.
  • monty619
    Options

yeh but do you even lift??? srs

body wont store fat unless its in a surplus... listen i was once like you with the anti-carb pro-fat thing then i read a lot more and tried it with my own life, carbs are absolutely fine for you to consume unless you have built up some sort of insulin resistance or are diabetic..