When I can't eat all my calories...

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    guys the OP couldn't give two ****s about any of this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Way to make her diet far more complicated and harder to adhere to than it needs to be...you know..for this ' standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight"...even if it were correct.

I don't see how this makes it more complicated. to me it seems easier to make a decision if you understand why you are making it.

What, eating 44g carbs? Really?
  • bexboxxx
    bexboxxx Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm just dizzy from all the quotes!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

For once I have to agree with you, but this is very entertaining.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Have a cookie!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    assuming you hit your protein and fat goals... u should fill the remaining cals with carbohydrates it would be the most optimal choice.

I disagree, I have found that carb loading does not work as well as consuming fat. When you consume good fats, your body does not stop the fat burning process to get rid of all the extra glucose carb loading would provide.

the opposite of what you said is true ive done lower carb dieting as well... especially for anyone who does anaerobic exercise like weight lifting. if you have trouble consuming enough calories, fat should be consumed because its more calorically dense and easier to hit calorie goals.. at age 50 i would just balance it out thru the day and have a balance with all macros and increase all of them im talking from an athlete/bodybuilder standpoint where carbohydrates would be much greater metabolically.
    Who says she's doing a lower carb diet? Who says she's an athlete/bodybuilder? Perhaps she's just a standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight?

LOL if weight loss is the goal it doesnt matter what she eats... if she exercises AT ALL it would be better to eat carbs... sheesh its not complicated

This makes no sense to me, how did you come to this conclusion?

.. u can eat twinkies and lose weight if ur still in a deficit, and carbohydrates are more optimal for energy and is better used by the body for better workouts with having more glycogen.

Your body has little room to store glycogen, but unlimited room to store fat. If you consume more foods that turn to glucose in your body, and it is more than your glycogen stores can hold, it gets turned to fat and stored. Look up the chemical process of insulin and lipoprotein lipase. Its there so you don't die of high blood sugar. This is why your body stops burning fat when you eat that way.

How limited are your stores and how common is DNL in humans?

Curiously enough, protein and calorie matched diets have non significant differences in fat loss, amazing how that happen when your body supposedly stops burning fat according to you

These studies may prove helpful

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/48/2/240.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/737.abstract

granted not all carbs are the same, but most refined carbs will quickly put you over your limit.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Way to make her diet far more complicated and harder to adhere to than it needs to be...you know..for this ' standard American woman who's nearly 50 and trying to lose some weight"...even if it were correct.

I don't see how this makes it more complicated. to me it seems easier to make a decision if you understand why you are making it.

Why is this bad or surprising to you?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

i agree so let me just restate to the OP... it doesnt matter what you eat as long as you are still in a deficit
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

i agree so let me just restate to the OP... it doesnt matter what you eat as long as you are still in a deficit

Agreed!!! x1000
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

For once I have to agree with you, but this is very entertaining.

QFT-squared?

Wait? Is the universe intact?
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Think that if you wish, but I still disagree. What you eat matters almost more so than the number of calories you consume, if not at least the same amount.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Think that if you wish, but I still disagree. What you eat matters almost more so than the number of calories you consume, if not at least the same amount.

yeh but ur probably still on the info that was out 5 years ago.. things have changed now man almonds, brown rice, broccoli, and chicken breast arent so holy any more you gotta read the new books, studies, info.
  • ghughes1022
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem! I only eat around 700 calories when my goal is 1300; I'm not sure if I need to eat more or if it is okay...
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    for weight loss with health as an afterthought: eat whatever you want in a deficit

for health with weight loss as an afterthought: eat "clean" whole foods as the majority of your diet

the choice is yours
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Seriously? smh
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    don't stress. go over on your fat today. macros are guidelines, not hardcore rules. I go over or under my macros all the time. being exact isn't necessary. hitting your calories is MORE important than hitting your macros.

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to created a calorie deficit via exercise and food intake in order to lose weight. Then when all these other variables such as macros get thrown in, I get really frustrated and defeat/confusion/frustration starts setting in. Gonna focus on my calorie intake making sure I'm not jeopardizing all my hard work. Hopefully over time I can balance things out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why is this bad or surprising to you?

It is not surprising coming from you to be honest, but suggesting that adherence will not be a challenge, assuming it was even necessary, is incredibly naiive imo.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    don't stress. go over on your fat today. macros are guidelines, not hardcore rules. I go over or under my macros all the time. being exact isn't necessary. hitting your calories is MORE important than hitting your macros.

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to created a calorie deficit via exercise and food intake in order to lose weight. Then when all these other variables such as macros get thrown in, I get really frustrated and defeat/confusion/frustration starts setting in. Gonna focus on my calorie intake making sure I'm not jeopardizing all my hard work. Hopefully over time I can balance things out.

absolutely! that is goal #1. screw the rest of this stuff until you've got a good handle on that part. you'll be fine! good luck! :)
  • briggsf
    briggsf Posts: 28
    Options
    Oookayyyy, let's play nice. I am just an almost 50 yr old woman trying to loose weight:)) I haven't being paying all that much attention to my Macros, just when they are in the red. I'll start though. Or should I pay more attention to calories?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Oookayyyy, let's play nice. I am just an almost 50 yr old woman trying to loose weight:)) I haven't being paying all that much attention to my Macros, just when they are in the red. I'll start though. Or should I pay more attention to calories?

calories are priority number one.

once you feel you've got a good handle on that part, you can start playing with macros.