Options

Replies

• zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What I did...
    - stopped eating cereals, breads, pasta, white rice
    - stopped buying prepared foods
    - got rid of all junk food in the house (too hard to have enough willpower!!)

+ started drinking more water
    + started eating more fruit
    + started eating more vegetables
    + started eating a healthy snack mid-morning (if I was hungry) or mid-afternoon
    + never went grocery shopping when I was hungry (which meant not shopping on way home after work)

I also joined a gym and started using the exercise bike, to strengthen my leg muscles because I was limping too much from a knee injury (because I was too overweight). But all you need to do get exercise is to start walking. Add time and speed as you get more fit.

Best of luck.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to vehemently disagree as well with the person who stated it's not what you eat, but how much you eat of it.

If you eat more fruits, vegetables and lean protein, these types of food are going to keep you fuller longer on fewer calories. You're going to be more satisfied than something high in carbs and sugar, which is only going to serve to make you hungrier later on.

If you eat the right things, you will consume fewer calories WHILE being more satisfied. It will be a double win.

It also sounds like you have some psychological issues regarding food - it's NOT bad in the right quantities and portions. It is meant to be enjoyed. You just have to retrain your taste buds to like the healthy stuff and track your food.

It also doesn't have to be about perfection, and don't overwhelm yourself researching all different diets on the Internet. It will give you brain overload. Lynkage posted a great menu to start out. It's also great advice to cut out all sugar soda and juice. That stuff is nothing but empty calories and serves your body no purpose whatsoever.

Best of luck to you! You can do this.
  • souperv
    souperv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've read some of your responses and I think some are pretty harsh, but who knows maybe that is what you are looking for. I suggest looking into your health care plan at work (if you have one) see if you can talk with a health coach several times a year and also email when you have questions. I think keeping it simple is the most important. I make a large pot of vegetable soup with between a 12 to 15 items, I use a low soduim bullion and put chicken in it also. I have a 2 cup serving with either a bread or crackers. This meal is typically between 300 to 400 calories. I have been doing this once a day for the last 5 weeks and I really feel like it helps me get the vegtables that I often skipped or shorted myself on. Also if I don't exercise I don't loose as fast. I have been walking or 1 hour a day 3 to 4 times a week and just included the Wii to my exercise. I don't recommend starting with that much but set a goal and build up to what you want. I started with 20 minutes when I first started walking. I am 51 and for the first time in my life am working productively to a healthier me. Good Luck. Don't over think it. Also a cheat day every now and then can help you keep going the rest of the time.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was to track everything I are on a normal day- this included my junk food and candy. Everyday I would take time to look at the food in MFP to see what had a lot of calories, sodium, carbs, etc. I looked for patterns in what I ate and why I ate them. I measured everything to see if I was messing that up (oddly, I tend to underestimate a serving size for many foods). I am still in the beginning of my journey, but I now think of food very differently. I walk through the store and think about calories vs nutrients (I do eat junk, but it is with full knowledge of what I am doing). Start reading on here- there are easy ways to make food have less calories, more protein, etc. As for the "right" way to eat- that is always debated here :-). I just try to make changes I feel good about and I know I can live with permentaly. Best of luck :-)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight eating less if you're eating caloric dense foods, you need to get a basic understanding of nutrition and food, google and youtube are great resources!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Pollan's books. You can check them out here. He really helps clear up all the confusion that mass food marketing creates. The books are also pretty easy to read.

http://michaelpollan.com/books/
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling!! I feel your pain.... it's a tough start for sure... mostly what I find works for me is trying to eat non-processed food. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, frozen if you're in a pinch... I try to stay away from canned fruit and veggies because most of them have added sugar or sodium. I eat mostly chicken breast (no bone or skin) and salmon... I'm just not much of a red meat eater... some people eat tofu as its a good source of protein.
    If you're looking for food or breakfast ideas you can add me and check out my diary. It's pretty boring though haha... egg whites for breakfast or oatmeal ...rye toast and greek yogurt for a treat, or some other combination of fruit... etc etc.
    I have only just started scaling down my bread intake, when I do have bread it's either rye bread or sprouted grain bread. It's not that I think it's bad, I just don't get a big bang for my buck calorie-wise, in other words i dont feel satisfied for very long when I eat bread-ey things....My big time weakness is crackers and chips (wistful sigh) I still have them occasionally, okay very occasionally, but hey it's a process right?
    Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling... but I hope you're not too discouraged and feel free to add me!
    PS for my activity I'm a beginner runner and I just started crossfit (and I am by far the worst one there)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think you may be having a hard time figuring out what to eat. Lot's of people don't know, so don't feel bad. Lean meats, like fish, boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast. Lean ground beef, and lean cuts of steak, (usually anything with the words "loin" or "round" are leaner cuts). Try to switch to 100% whole wheat breads, pasta, and rice, and try to cut down on how often you eat them. I use cooking sprays, rather than oil. Try to cut out any fried foods, or atleast only eat them occasionally. You can make healthier versions of fried foods, by only lightly breading them, using the spray, instead of oil, and baking them. Pretty much anything you eat now, can probably be made in a healthier way. There are really good "diet" snacks and desserts. I love the smart ones, and skinny cow ice creams, in the frozen section near regular ice creams. Other recipe sites are www.skinnytaste.com, and www.emilybites.com. Pinterest also has good healthy recipes. Zumba burns AMAZING calories. I used a heart rate monitor tonight, (got for $28 at Walmart) and burned 940 cal's tonight, in just 1 hour, and it doesn't even feel like exercise. Start lifting weights, even if you start off small, and work your way up. BUILD MUSCLE!!! Muscle burns more calories, which means higher metabolism!!! Don't cut calories too drastically, or your metabolism will slow down, (I don't care who disagrees with this, it is true for most, and why eat very little, when you can eat more, and get the same results?) Eat lots of fruits n veggies. You can often sneak veggies into your meals. Good luck!!! :happy:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing to do is figure out what your BMR (base metabolic rate) is, and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. For instance, my BMR is 1630 calories a day and my TDEE is 2100 calories per day. Those two numbers give me a basic guideline of what should be the least and the most I should eat every day (or multiplied by 7, every week - I like to vary my calories every day to keep my metabolism from getting too used to a certain number and adjusting accordingly, aka calorie cycling). Once you have that down, it's a matter of counting and logging calories so you stay within the range. And when you add in your extra exercise, meaning exercise you do above and beyond whatever your normal activity level is, you get to eat more!
  • dawgmom1
    dawgmom1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a bit familiar to me... Turning points for me? I just turned 50, was feeling the worst physically & psychologically..! Sounds weird, but for feeling like crap, I feel much younger inside than everything was reporting/showing, etc. I went for a physical with a new Primary Dr and surprise surprise, she recommended a visit to a Nutritionist. Now I feel like I've tried EVERY kind of diets, read diet program books, visited health/fitness/nutrition websites, yada yada yada... I only went to the appt because I promised my Dr (she wanted his report) & the initial consult was free. I had to keep a log over 2wks before the appt & felt I ate well/healthy. I went in very skeptical (figured he couldn't tell me something I didn't already know) but came out a bit changed! I was shocked that before even calculating up what I had EATEN over those 2wks, he pointed out that the fat & calories from creamer & sugar I was putting in my morning coffee (first thing I had each day) could add up to adding on about 30 extra lbs each year - and just from something I drank, not ate! I was stunned. He also recommended I try MFP because I could do it on my home computer & coordinate it with my Iphone. I was happy to have another place "to go" in the privacy of my home where other ppl struggled w/weight, some place I didn't have to share w/my day-to-day friends. Now I log in. Feel the difference when I don't. I've even started to walk my dog just around our block. Other than being more conscious about what & how much I eat (food diary), I try to think positive. I don't look at it as losing weight, I am trying to SHED or GET RID of it! I didn't put this on overnight, it's not coming off overnight. Have I skipped logging in or cheated. Yes. I am a real human being. But praise, don't berate yourself; every little step is one in the right direction! Try to get back on track again & challenge yourself to go longer! If you are here, you are doing the right thing!
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback! I'm going to print this stuff out and use it when I'm meal planning, glad to know that there's people out there that can explain it without being rude (:
    You will just have to overlook rude people, They think they know everything and chances are they don't know squat!! There are people on here willing to help you out. All you need to do if ask. I hope you find the answers your searching for.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    This is why I love MFP...basically only one rude person and a whole lot of encouragement and helpful advice! I'm even taking notes for myself! :). I took a break from counting calories for a bit and instead focused on getting a solid work out routine in place. Once it became routine I came back to MFP and have started focusing on my eating habits. For me, I have to focus on one thing at a time or I just drop the ball on everything. So far so good! :)
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    As far as the whole quality vs quantity...there was interesting research where a man ate only 1500 calories or so a day...but ate all junk. His overall health still improved as he dropped weight. So for pure weight loss, calories are the most important factor. But keep in mind that junk food doesn't satisfy and will leave you with cravings for more, while fruits and veggies and such will fill you up for much longer. Not to mention the long term benefits you lose through basic nutrients and such when eating junk. It's all about balance. If we try to change everything we often quit and change nothing. So focusing purely on calorie intake to start with is not a bad idea. I just shouldn't be your stopping point either. Once you have formed. routine and habit of eating correct portions, then start moving on to the next area of your eating habits...and so on and so forth. :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I friended you, I just to be 330pds, I lost 138pds (gained some back bc I had another child) Have a look at my diary that is what I have ate when I lost all that weight! This month I have lost 16 pds! Its really quite easy. If your mind is not ready to lose weight you wont!! So make sure you are really ready or your setting yourself up for failure!! Good luck! Message me if you wanna know/talk more!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    What to read?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.leangains.com
    www.alanaragonblog.com

icecream fitness youtube videos..

What to ignore?

Everyone who tells you what to do

Do I care if you follow this approach?

No.

Do I hope you'll do what I suggest instead of aimlessly following fad diets and silly exclusions?

Yes.

Read a few hundred pages and the hours you spend will save you 10 fold that amount of time of stressing and misunderstanding prioper nutrition.

Nobody is 100% right, but, ~90% of people are preaching nonsense. I just pointed you to a bit of the remaiining 10%.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Personally I just watch my calories, I think if you're just starting stick with just the calories for now or you might get overwhelmed with fat, carbs, etc. You'll find that the calories in food will often will be linked to how much fat/carbs they have anyway (i.e. you won't find some the is high in fat, but at the same time low in calories). Later when you get a hang of counting calories you can start trying to meet the fat/carbs/protein levels MFP recommends. I use to struggle to stay under my calories, but over time I've found foods that are lower in calories that still leave me satisfied.

I good rule of thumb is to divide your daily allowance into 3 (i.e 1200 cals = 3 X 400 calorie meals), that way when you're eating a 500 calorie meal you know that's probably going to put you over at the end of the day unless you burn that extra 200 calories you ate. If you want snacks in between reduce each meal a little and pick low calorie snacks like fruit (I usually try and not eat more than 100 calorie snacks between meals). This is where pre logging your food also comes in handy, you can see how many calories you have left/or are over (so you can eat something a little naughtier, or healthier).

If you are looking for recipes there's some great cookbooks out there. I love "400 Calorie Fix" which is full of recipes that are 400 calories or less and tells you how many calories are in each recipe (though I usually prefer to make my own "recipe" on MFP using the brands I prefer which sometimes ends up higher or lower than they say in the book). The book is good because 1200 calories is around the minimum a female should be eating so it's 3 meals out of the book a day (I usually make my own breakfast, and since most recipes serve 4-6 I will have the same meal for lunch and dinner for 2-3 days, which saves me cooking everyday. I think i'd get feed up of cooking something everyday). When you go shopping looking at different brands is good too, I usually like to pick the one that has the lowest calories, it also sometimes puts me off buying things that are high in calories (i.e. chocolate :P). Of course I have other books and recipes I use that I find online.

As to portions. If your are currently eating big ones, I suggest slowly reducing them otherwise it'll leave you hungry and you might end up binging/snacking too much on food. After awhile you'll get use to smaller portions and your stomach will "shrink" and you'll find you'll likely not be able to eat as much as you use too.

Wow that was long but hopefully helpful :P
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think I've posted here once before but I didn't get much feed back which I so desperately need.

I come from a fat family and I desperately want to change that, I don't want to be diabetic like my mother, or 300lbs like my Grandmother. I can understand and grasp the concept of things like Philosophy, Anatomy and Politics but so help me God I can't understand how to eat better. I'm not sure what it is that I don't understand, if not everything. I'm trying to eat realistically, such as smaller portions and limiting starches but I'm still completely lost. I seem to be GAINING weight.

Does anyone know any websites that provide generated menu plans so I can get started and have an idea of what I should be eating? THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.

Can you open your food diary for us so we can see how far off base you may be??
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't want to steer you away from healthy food choices, but losing weight is a lot more about eating less than eating "right." Of course, there are ways to feel more satiated, not crash from a lot of sugar, etc. But truly, the most important thing (for me at least) with weight loss is eating less.

Try not to get too caught up in eating RIGHT and focus on eating LESS for now. Log everything that goes into your mouth. Everything. Every. Single. Skittle. Or french fry. Or hard boiled egg. Or whatever. Just log it. Do that for a week. There is tremendous power in this simple act.

Then start making changes to your menu.

I absolutely and fundamentally disagree with almost everything this person said. If you are struggling with not eating enough (1 mega meal a day) your metabolism is shot. So you need to eat healthy, clean, natural foods. Once you are eating healthily and regularly then you can focus on calorie counting. I swear to you no one ever got fat eating only fruits, vegetables and lean protein sources. It is all the other crap they eat in addition to those things.

I do absolutely agree that you need to write down (track electronically) EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Yes the reality is Calories Out - Calories In = weight loss but until you have a realistic and healthy eating habit, don't obsess over eating less.

Stop pushing your CLEAN eating on this girl. She is struggling enough without you pushing your lifestyle on her. Give her a chance to find her own way.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!
    I don't want to steer you away from healthy food choices, but losing weight is a lot more about eating less than eating "right." Of course, there are ways to feel more satiated, not crash from a lot of sugar, etc. But truly, the most important thing (for me at least) with weight loss is eating less.

Try not to get too caught up in eating RIGHT and focus on eating LESS for now. Log everything that goes into your mouth. Everything. Every. Single. Skittle. Or french fry. Or hard boiled egg. Or whatever. Just log it. Do that for a week. There is tremendous power in this simple act.

Then start making changes to your menu.

Everything he said!!!! The biggest help for my husband and myself has been cutting portion sizes of "regular" food. And please talk to someone about you seeing all food as bad. I think that will help tremendously!! It is a slow and steady process. And it's not terribly easy at first. Good luck to you, and feel free to add me as a friend. I'm really into the mutual support on here!!!
  • sadye58
    sadye58 Posts: 55
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com & www.eatyourselfskinny.com you can still eat the things you love but a healthier version of it. Good Luck!