greek yogurt anyone?

Options
dandandee
dandandee Posts: 301 Member
I've never been a huge fan of yogurt.. the texture and taste is just weird to me. But I keep hearing how great greek yogurt is because of it's high protein content (which I totally need more of) so I bought some today. I got President's choice's Plain greek yogurt.

Are there any brands that you like better than others (regarding taste, health or whatever)?? Also, how do you guys eat it? On it's own, mixed with stuff, in recipes?

Any recipes or combos you guys may have would be SUPER appreciated :)

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I use plain in sub for sour cream or mayo. The plain has a sour cream taste to it. I do usually buy a big tub of the plain then a few of the smaller tubs of vanilla that I usually eat with fruit or on their own. Or I make pudding out of it with my shakeology.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I like Wegmans Greek Yogurt, it seems to be the lowest in Calories and Sodium. I eat the plain because it has less sugar and I add 1 tbsp of Pure Maple Syrup, 1 tbsp Wegmans Crunchy All Natural Peanut Butter, 5 grams unsweetened toasted Coconut, 13 grams ground Flaxseed, and 28 grams Almonds or Walnuts.

Maple syrup is just above Agave Nectar on the glycemic Index, but is lower in calories
  • Sandreeuhh
    Options
    My favorite is Light and Fit Greek Yogurt. 80 Calorie goodness <3
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like Fage or Chobani 0%. The Greek Gods brand is lower in calories, but really goopy and gross.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    chobani or fage every day. sometimes multiple times a day. Mostly I'll have it plain so I can add fruit, etc. My favorite is plain chobani and dill seasoning as dip for cucumbers.
  • dandandee
    Options
    I use plain in sub for sour cream or mayo. The plain has a sour cream taste to it. I do usually buy a big tub of the plain then a few of the smaller tubs of vanilla that I usually eat with fruit or on their own. Or I make pudding out of it with my shakeology.

Ya I did find it had a bit of s sour cream taste to it.. I added a tbsp of peanut butter (and some toppings) and the weird taste went away :P I'll try vanilla next time
    I like Wegmans Greek Yogurt, it seems to be the lowest in Calories and Sodium. I eat the plain because it has less sugar and I add 1 tbsp of Pure Maple Syrup, 1 tbsp Wegmans Crunchy All Natural Peanut Butter, 5 grams unsweetened toasted Coconut, 13 grams ground Flaxseed, and 28 grams Almonds or Walnuts.

Mhm, I don't think we have wegmans here. I like your recipe idea though, I'll try it, thanks! :)
  • dandandee
    Options
    chobani or fage every day. sometimes multiple times a day. Mostly I'll have it plain so I can add fruit, etc. My favorite is plain chobani and dill seasoning as dip for cucumbers.

that actually sounds delicious with dill seasoning. good way to get some protein with your veggies! thanks!
  • nyroeon
    nyroeon Posts: 14
    Options
    i've just barely forced myself to enjoy chobani plain (at first i couldn't stand it at all, then i got accustomed to peach, now i can do plain) and i have to say, i feel like i'm eating sour cream. which means i don't need to buy sour cream anymore! but seriously, i wish i could find 1% or 2% fat instead of 0% :(
  • elemkc
    elemkc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are trying it for the first time, I say go for something a little sweet. My kids LOVE the chobani champions. i personally liked the chocolate chunk and vanilla orange for a morning treat. It's a good transition for someone that might not be used to the texture of greek yogurt, I actually like it though because it seems creamier. The kids stuff also comes in a tube, really yummy frozen as a late night "ice cream" treat.
    For myself, I like the Stonyfield organic vanilla greek yogurts. O% fat and only 80 calories for a 4 oz cup. Sometimes I eat them plain, other days I add whatever fruit or extra cereal we have in the house, also a few dark chocolate chip sprinkled in is good.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt! My favorites are Kroger brand, Chobani, and Trader Joe's. Usually I just get plain and stir in a little stevia and cinnamon, and top it with some fruit and cereal (my latest obsession is frozen blueberries and Nature's Path Flax Plus cereal)
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of yogurt.. the texture and taste is just weird to me. But I keep hearing how great greek yogurt is because of it's high protein content (which I totally need more of) so I bought some today. I got President's choice's Plain greek yogurt.

Are there any brands that you like better than others (regarding taste, health or whatever)?? Also, how do you guys eat it? On it's own, mixed with stuff, in recipes?

Any recipes or combos you guys may have would be SUPER appreciated :)

I tried soooo many kinds. I disliked all but Yoplait Greek yogurt. But then I discovered CARBmaster from Kroger. It is high in protein but only 60 calories and only 3g of sugar. I do use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and Mayo in recipes.
  • dandandee
    Options
    thanks everyone! Chobani seems to be a popular vote among most of you and I'm pretty sure I've seen that one at my grocery store, I'll give it a try. (honestly, I picked the one I picked because it was the "sale item" for the week :P)

I like the idea of using it as sour cream or mayo too!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I like Fage! I usually mix in vanilla bean paste and some splenda, then add homemade granola (the current batch is cherry apple, yum!)
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options

I tried soooo many kinds. I disliked all but Yoplait Greek yogurt. But then I discovered CARBmaster from Kroger. It is high in protein but only 60 calories and only 3g of sugar. I do use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and Mayo in recipes.

I saw that in the store recently and the flavors sounded delicious but the way it was labeled "cultured dairy product" instead of yogurt made me scared to try it. So it's good then?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt non-fat plain 1 cup
    1 cup almond milk unsweetened
    1 cup frozen berries + blender= win plus about 25 grams of protein for about 250 cals :)
  • Razzlebari
    Razzlebari Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I buy the Chobani 0% Plain yogurt, which has the most protein per cup that I've seen (22g). Since I'm no fan of plain jane yogurt, I add a tsp or so of strawberry jam, raspberry jam, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, etc. Whatever I'm in the mood for.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Fage 2%. That little bit of fat adds texture.
    I eat it plain with granola. It has become one of my staples.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    32oz of Fage 2% a day w/ 2 tbls honey.
  • YankeesG2
    YankeesG2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Oiko's especially the kind with honey. GOOD!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love Fage. I add berries in from time to time.