Mascara Suggestions. Please HELP!!!!

Options
So here's the deal. I got a sample tube of Esteé Lauders 'More than Mascara' from my awesome aunt and fell in love. unfortunately I am down to the last bit and dont have the money to go spend $22 for a new tube. (As much as I want too... My bf would kick my a**). Anyway, I was looking at some mascaras today and became overwhelmed almost instantly. I didnt know there were so many choices!!! (My sample tube lasted four years and my mom bought my first tube.. I hated it) I want a mascara that not only offers great length but also gives some decent volume. I really dont wanna spend over $10.. $5 would be preferred. Anyone have a mascara they swear by and would recommend for a makeup novice like me? I would much appreciate it. :)

Replies

• milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    you should never keep a tube of mascara for more then about six months b/c it can grow bacteria and cause infections.

I use eye makeup every day, I change my look based on my mood. I use Colossal Cat Eyes by Mabelline if I am going for a longer, thinner lash that is more subtle, and I like the Falsie Volume Express if I am going for dramatic length and volume.

You can check my profile for pics, the devil horns one is the Falsie, and the one in the red lipstick is Cat Eyes.
  • rebeccamikkel
    rebeccamikkel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I second the Volum Express Falsies! That and L'Oreal Voluminous.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Ohhh... I love the falsies. I think that pic might have made up my mind. :) The cat eyes mascara is smokin hot too. A few more suggestions before I decide but I have read great reviews about falsies. Does it clump or flake??
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Sally's Has great Mascara!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I recommend you go and get an account for makeupalley.com, they have TONS of reviews on everything. I always go to them first. You can filter results by age, skin type, hair type, basically everything type.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I like the "eye make up kits" wallgreens sells. Plus if you catch them at the right time they will have them on sale for 2$ so they aren't a huge investment

I usually use cover girl for general eye liner And mascara though
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Ohhh... I love the falsies. I think that pic might have made up my mind. :) The cat eyes mascara is smokin hot too. A few more suggestions before I decide but I have read great reviews about falsies. Does it clump or flake??

I have never had a problem with flaking, I find that the longer I have it the more likely I am to get clumps, but I just make sure to get the one that isn't water proof, then I wet a q-tip and just seperate the lashes that way.
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of L'Oreal Voluminous. (And the suggestion to check out MakeupAlley.com, as well!) Always a great standby for a little drama. However, I recently picked up Covergirl's Clump Crusher due to so many rave reviews, and I love that, too. No clumps whatsoever thus far! I'm usually not a big CG fan, but I think they did well with this mascara. :)
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My HG mascara is Benefit's They're Real, but I think it's $26 a tube. Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes is great for a fluttery look but I think it's in the $20 range. My favourite drugstore mascara is L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes. I think is $8-$9 a tube.

Edit: I'm surprised to see so many votes for Maybelline's Falsies. It seriously might be the worst mascara I've ever used and I'm a bit of a makeup junkie.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    MAYBELLINE FALSES!!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I like Maybelines colossal volume express - it doesn't clump and has a good brush. There is a neutrogena one in a silver tube with a blue cap that is more natural looking that I like for 'lighter' days.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    In a pinch - the maybeline green and pink tube does the job just fine. It is NOT expensive and if you layer your coats you will get volume. However, and this is a big however, I use false eyelashes as often a I can. I wear them almost every single day. I love them. Try them with the clear or even better with the black liquid glue - it goes on like black eyeliner - then you put the lashes on top and they look fabulous. Beware - once you see how good you look in false eyelashes - you will be hooked. Good luck. Theresa
  • bkjj1229
    bkjj1229 Posts: 22
    Options
    My fave is Clinique's High Impact Mascara. Amazing stuff!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    yeahhh don't use mascara for that long.. its bad for you plus didn't you realize it was like empty? probably every mascara will seem better since it actually has some left in the tube hahaha.
    I like the lashblash line from covergirl - all of them are good - I like the purple one its the length and volume one, but recently i just tried clump crusher and i like that too. I also really like maybeline's falsies as well!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I use to wear mascara and I've tried sooo many. I love the maybellines pulsating one. It vibrates
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Honestly if you're looking to spend only $5-$10, you're not going to be getting the best quality mascaras. There's going to be some clumping and flaking with ALL mascaras in that price range, though some are certainly better than others. That being said, I usually use drugstore mascaras in that price range (Maybelline Falsies is one of my faves too) and only sometimes treat myself to more expensive, nicer mascaras. The cheap ones work fine for me for my regular day-to-day routine. Many are pretty decent mascaras, considering their low price of course! But just know what you're getting yourself into. You get what you pay for.
  • allikat93
    Options
    I use to wear mascara and I've tried sooo many. I love the maybellines pulsating one. It vibrates

Oh man.. I could be soo bad with this post but I think for the sake of saving face I shall hold my tongue. :D

Keep 'um coming girls... This is a huge help!!! Hopefully will get to put all this info to use tomorrow :)
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the department stores in your area. You can usually get a free makeover and sometimes score some free samples.
  • allikat93
    Options
    yeahhh don't use mascara for that long.. its bad for you plus didn't you realize it was like empty? probably every mascara will seem better since it actually has some left in the tube hahaha.
    I like the lashblash line from covergirl - all of them are good - I like the purple one its the length and volume one, but recently i just tried clump crusher and i like that too. I also really like maybeline's falsies as well!

I just wanna say... Although I have had said mascara for years.. I RARELY wear makeup. Maybe 10 days a month if that. So it really did take a long time to run out. They pack thoses sample tubes lol.
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For budget brands, I've had good experiences with most mascaras by Rimmel. There was one in a big red tube that smudged really easily. I forgot what it was called, but I've really liked the other 4 or 5 I've tried over the years.