One thing you hated about the older fatter you...

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never actually was overweight, but I was getting to the top of the healthy range. There was nothing I hated about me, but I was not happy with my cholesterol and lack of energy. I decided I needed to get myself in better shape BEFORE I got fat, especially since I'm entering "middle age." I'm a big fan of being proactive.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I was afraid to approach women...
  • riley76051
    Options
    The misery of standing in a changing room and having nothing look good.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    my penis used to look so much smaller :(
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My double chin
    The inner thighs of my pants wearing out
    My protruberant tummy
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Being unhappy but wouldn't admit to myself just how big I was
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had more than one dislikes but I think the biggest one as I think back on myself was my low self-esteem and how I felt when I went out in public or seen family and friends. I walked with a slouchy back cuz I kept my head down and I even walked fast just to get to where I needed to go faster so I didn't have to deal with the paranoid feeling of people staring at me because I was overwieght and ugly (that was the low self esteem thinking). Anyways, that was couple years ago and its just getting better for me. :)
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't hate anything about my old self. When I look at pictures of her I'm astonished at the courage she had in taking the first steps and changing her life. I'm 60 pounds lighter than that person, but I wonder if I'm still that brave. I don't know.

^^This.
    I'm 12 pounds down with a lot more to go, but when I'm done, this is how I want to see myself. I'm finding that changing to a healthier lifestyle is taking more courage and determination than I realized that I even had. Its one thing to have pillow arms and a double chin (my least favorite things about myself), but if they're attached to someone that has half as much determination as the people in this thread then there is nothing to be ashamed about.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I have a lot of empathy and compassion for "the old me." I know why she was the way she was, I know how much she endured, how hard she fought to get me here today.
    QFT
  • Gworkmanii
    Gworkmanii Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That I tried this SO MANY times before and wasn't strong enough or didn't have any real goals to reach for.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Getting out of breath putting on my shoes. Thinking I had a complex gastric ailment or food allergy when, in fact, my waistbands were too tight.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The health issues...the bad eating habits...the low self esteem. :wink:

8488541.png
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Lack of self esteem and confidence. Why let something I can control have such a hold over me?!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea. I had to sleep with a CPAP machine for several years.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    everything!
    -Never getting a good night's rest (sleep apnea)
    -Always out of breath
    -Tired
    -Bad skin
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The old me was, well OLD! My body was so tired and fatigued, and hurt all the time. In my mind I was so much younger than my 49 years, but my body felt 80. There was such a disconnect between the two and it was very depressing. I was almost to the point of resignation, but not now. Heck, no, I am fighting til the end!

And Marissa^^ You simply amaze me! What a change in your life you have accomplished, and what inspiration you bring to others. Wow.
  • ChefSchnauzer
    ChefSchnauzer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I could not fit any of my jeans. And I did not want to buy new, bigger ones. And so I would squeeze into them and look terrible and feel uncomfortable. So I stopped wearing jeans altogether. And how I felt when I rode a horse. Yuck.

When I get there - I love Burberry Sport Coats and J Press suits and shirts.... I can't wait to wear normal beautiful clothes again.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Sleep apnea. I had to sleep with a CPAP machine for several years.

Oh man, everyone in my family has one of those, and I was so scared I would end up with one. No way, now. They can keep those monsters! Good for you!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    The EXCUSES that I used to offer about my weight...
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I love the fatter me. She was on the one who got her act together. and said enough is enough. She was the one who gave up the high calorie food. She was the one who got me on my feet, when it hurt to do so. I love her, she got me where I am today. Forty five pounds lighter, fitter, and near to goal.

I had good self esteem when I was fat, and good self esteem when I am slimmer. Good self esteem happens in the mind, not the exterior. I do worry about some of the young women here. They don't seem to like themselves much.

These are some great points. The old me was much stronger than I gave her credit for. And without the pretty exterior for several years, I had to find my self worth in my character, and that person was way more self-secure in many ways. My goal now is to keep the confident person I have become inside, and just make her outside a lot healthier!