Do BMI's seem unrealistic to anyone else?

Options

Replies

• Pink9874
    Pink9874 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'8 and to be in the healthy range I would need to be between 164 and 121. I know from personal experience that if I go under 150 I look emaciated.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Obese.

B6BA6044-4B6F-45CD-9AEB-7DD51F4CF109-9544-00000FAAF42DF898_zps4874724b.jpg

We get it, you have large boobs and are "curvy", you carry more weight although it is well proportioned. It still means you have a higher weight per your height than average.

Why so harsh? I think she looks great. Curves aren't bad.

Here we go with "looks" again. Yes, she looks great, yes she thinks she looks great. It has nothing to do with BMI once again. It's not how you look, it's weight to height ratio. It's really simple math. Not sure why you have such a hard time understanding that. Close your eyes, your BMI is still the same no matter how you LOOK!

Wow girlfriend bring it down a notch.. you are waaaaayyyy more into this than you should be. Why in the heck do you care how I feel about myself? You have commented on my rants more than anyone else. Am I fat, am I obese, am i in denial? Could be all of the above. But you my dear need to chill it really isn't that big a deal. I'm over it at this point. accepting my fate to be classified as obese. you should too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'8 and to be in the healthy range I would need to be between 164 and 121. I know from personal experience that if I go under 150 I look emaciated.

But you wouldn't have to go under 150 to be in the healthy range.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Ive heard african amercian women carry weight differently, and don't always look as big based on weight, but I didn't dare post that here. Ive been beat up enough... :sad:
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    It seems pretty realistic to me. I am 5ft2inch tall, and weigh 132 lb (started my weight loss at 144). Right now my BMI measures 24.1. At goal weight (130) it'll be 23.8. Both BMIs are in the high range of what's considered normal weight. I am in good shape because I work out and hike many miles each week, but I am by all means not thin at this weight, so for these reasons I believe it's overall realistic.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Obese.

We get it, you have large boobs and are "curvy", you carry more weight although it is well proportioned. It still means you have a higher weight per your height than average.

I'm not debating that I am overweight, but at a BMI of about 31 in this photo, I would be classified as obese, but competing regularly as a national team athlete. Just debating the general statement of BMI as an indicator of health.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not read through all the replies.

Yes it is. Look at the England rugby team, all over their BMI's but some of the fittest people about and not fat!

I dont think its fair either that doctors use it when they dont agree with them. When you need an operation and you have to get to your target BMI to have it i think its just to put people off as its too unrealistic! Saying that it goes the other way and if you are really big you have to be over a certain BMI to get any help!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Obese.

I'm not debating that I am overweight, but at a BMI of about 31 in this photo, I would be classified as obese, but competing regularly as a national team athlete. Just debating the general statement of BMI as an indicator of health.

BMI doesn't care how you think you look. BMI doesn't care how you feel about the word 'obese'. It simply means that you're at a higher risk for health issues than someone with a lower BMI. You don't have to like it or agree, but that doesn't change it...

For example, professional football players - how many live to be 80, 90 or older? Very, very few. Sure they were incredibly athletic at one time, but that doesn't mean they weren't also at higher risk for disease because of their larger size, which, over time, is more taxing on the heart than a smaller person.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Ive heard african amercian women carry weight differently, and don't always look as big based on weight, but I didn't dare post that here. Ive been beat up enough... :sad:

Oh, come on. First of all you did post it here. Second of all, you clearly enjoy the arguing. You know as well as everyone else that a measurement doesn’t have anything to do with how one looks or carries weight.
  • JuneBetty
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's realistic, my current BMI is 25.54, I am 5"10 and I weight 178lbs.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    BMI doesn't care how you think you look. BMI doesn't care how you feel about the word 'obese'. It simply means that you're at a higher risk for health issues than someone with a lower BMI. You don't have to like it or agree, but that doesn't change it...

This isn't exactly true. A higher BMI means you may be at a higher risk for health issues. While it should be a red flag that other factors need to be looked at or tested, BMI alone is not indicative of health risk at the individual level.

But you are correct that the other factors would not include how you feel or think you look.
  • denezy
    Options
    Hi, I am Obese.

For example, professional football players - how many live to be 80, 90 or older? Very, very few. Sure they were incredibly athletic at one time, but that doesn't mean they weren't also at higher risk for disease because of their larger size, which, over time, is more taxing on the heart than a smaller person.

Really? One of the most violent sports with known significant risks of head injury is your example?

I do understand the basis of what you're saying, but using professional football players are a terrible test subject.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

This isn't exactly true. A higher BMI means you may be at a higher risk for health issues. While it should be a red flag that other factors need to be looked at or tested, BMI alone is not indicative of health risk at the individual level.

But you are correct that the other factors would not include how you feel or think you look.

semantics.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Hi, I am Obese.

Really? One of the most violent sports with known significant risks of head injury is your example?

I do understand the basis of what you're saying, but using professional football players are a terrible test subject.

haha ok fair enough. it was just my example based on athletes who are huge... but you could do the same with pretty much any athletes outside of maybe tennis, soccer... and other endurance based sports.

it's a big misconception but athletic =/= healthy
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

So then don't go under 150. You said you need to be between 121 and 164, so set your goal to be "under 164 but above 150".
  • bcattoes
    Options

semantics.

"are at risk" and "may be at risk" is a little more than semanics.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If your waist was 32" in the 90's, you wouldn't wear an 8 now. Mine is 28" and I'm in a 6 now. I gained a couple pounds over the winter and in July my waist was a 27 and I was a 4. I know the sizes have changed, but not THAT much from the 90's.

Chill. It was a JOKE. I think vanity sizing is stupid, so that was a tongue-in-cheek comment.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

semantics.

"are at risk" and "may be at risk" is a little more than semanics.

lol "risk" is already an uncertainty. just because you're at risk doesn't mean you'll develop a condition.

to say "may" be at "risk" is just stupid legal jargon. thus, semantics.

just because doctors and pharmaceuticals have to follow the legal guidelines doesn't mean I have to while having a discussion on the internet...
  • denezy
    Options

haha ok fair enough. it was just my example based on athletes who are huge... but you could do the same with pretty much any athletes outside of maybe tennis, soccer... and other endurance based sports.

it's a big misconception but athletic =/= healthy

I will totally agree with that and also point out that there is a huge misconception that endurance athletes =/= healthy.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am only looking to move from obese to overweight on the BMI chart and then I will be happy, my "ideal" weight will be way to low for me