Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Sargento ultra thin Cheddar. Its something like 45 calories a slice.
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    I love Feta. Even the reduced fat or non-fat variety taste good. It's about 60 or 70 cals an ounce for the full fat version I think.

I use it in everything--salads, wraps, eggs, burgers, chicken...

I love feta cheese. I use the Athenos Sun-Dried tomato stuff on my salads. Although one piece plain makes me feel like I wanna die because it is disgusting plain lol.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My two go-to cheddar cheeses are Cabot Extra Sharp and Coastal Cheddar. Walmart sells Cabot Extra Sharp in 2-pound blocks for about 8 bucks and also in 8 oz packages for a slightly higher price per pound. At $4/pound it is cheaper than the Kraft junk and it is really an excellent cheddar. Coastal cheddar can be found at Costco. It is sold in 1.1 pound blocks for about $7 so you are getting a really top notch cheddar for about $6.50/pound, a real steal. I personally like it better than Kerrygold. Kerrygold is very smooth while Coastal has a sharper bite and it has a bit of a crystalline texture which a lot of aged cheddars develop. If you are a cheese hound like me, Costco has some other good cheeses at very good prices. I am also partial to their Comte and Gruyere. Of course the disclaimer about all these is you need to be careful about portion control (my primary failing!)...

As far as lower calorie cheeses go, I did run across a low fat swiss made by Finlandia that wasn't too bad. A bit of grated romano, crumbled Feta, or goat cheese also go a long way and add a lot of flavor without needing much.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?

You have obviously never tried a good quality pepper jack in your eggs then...it will kill any defense against Kraft Singles you have.
  • dawnleanna1
    Options
    I also like the Sargento reduced-fat cheeses. You can find them in almost any major grocery and they are not crazy expensive. Also when I'm at Sam's club I pick up a big block of Cabot reduced fat white cheddar. It's about $10 but lasts a long time and is great to use in many recipes.
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    Good cheese costs money. I spend $10 for a block of KerryGold but it lasts me like 3 weeks. Worth it. :)

I totally agree with this. I understand you don't want to spend a lot of money but spending a few dollars more on good quality foods actually ends up going farther. For one, you are putting healthier things in your body. Two, you feel like you are eating like a king. Three, you learn to stretch what you buy and to buy only what you know you will use so the food doesn't rot in the fridge.

Oh yeah $10 isn't bad. I was talking not wanting to drop $20, $30, $40 on a block of cheese. I have seen many of them and I am sure they are delicious, but I refuse to spend that much. $10 isn't bad though
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really like the really thin sliced cheese, it makes it feel like I am getting more, and I am better able to portion it out for a sandwich. I think it's like 45 calories a slice. I prefer Sargento's thinly sliced provolone if I am having a turkey sandwich. For roast beef, I like Colby or medium cheddar.
  • jennhbg
    jennhbg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Land O' Lakes Naturally slender not too expensive, lower calories and has a great taste too!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    OMG, I live in Wis and wouldn't touch Kraft singles (or any processed cheese product) with 10 ft pole. Try your local deli, they have fresh sliced provolone. Muenster is another good one.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I get 2% cheese now...or "made with skim milk". I usually buy the shredded because I can use 1-2 T. and get a cheesy taste without the bulk of an entire slice. Kroger brands and Kraft has these. I really love the Mexican Blend, Mozzarella, and Mild Cheddar.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could buy something like KerryGold cheese. It's real cheese.

KerryGold? I have never heard of it. I will have to check that out.

It's awesome, it's from Ireland. I think the cows are free-range or something fancy but the cheese is wonderful.

KerryGold whiskey cheese is one of my favorite foods anywhere.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Im not one of those cheese and wine type snobs. So I get by on Kraft Singles just fine. One type of cheese I absolutely refuse though is imitation cheese, the kind that wont even melt and has plastic texture. Absolutely disgusting. How does anyone even buy that?
  • lssan
    lssan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out Lifetime Cheese. They have a website.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Gouda and Havarti are my favorites--very mild and delicious!
  • wifey103188
    Options
    weight watchers singles~its 45 calories instead of 60+
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up yogurt cheese? You make it yourself and it's considered 'clean'
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    One of my go to meals working at a desk is just a simple deli-turkey sandwich with a slice of cheese, about a teaspoon of olive oil miracle whip and two thin pickle slices(just decided the pickles should probably go since they send my sodium through the roof). Anyway. My question is whether or not there is a more nutritious cheese to use than the Kraft Singles I am using. Any suggestions?

Also I don't want to drop an obscene amount of money on a pack of cheese if I can help it.

The salt problem is from the deli turkey, not the pickles.

A whole Dill Pickle has around 250mg sodium. 2 slices is not significantly contributing to the sodium content of the sandwich.

2 oz deli turkey can have 500-700mg sodium. Even the Boar's head 47% reduced sodium has 350mg for 2 oz.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Buy your cheese from the deli. That's what we did before we started making our own.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    When I need cheese I go for really sharp, strong cheddars, feta, parmesan, blue or a slice of swiss. Much stronger and better flavours, so you can use less. Though I will say UK or even our Canadian cheese tends to be a little stronger and less plastic tasting than anything I've had in the US.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For sliced cheese I like Sargento usually swiss or provolone. I also like sharp cheddar. But most of my cheese I buy from whole foids or the fresh market. My absolute favorite is the Midnight Moon Chevre which is a goat gouda. I also get the Unika Haas reserve and the Parrano. I like strong cheese. These are not sold by the slice but I've shaved off the wedge and put on a sandwich or in grits or omelettes or anything else I would add cheese to.