I'm not tough - who still sleeps with a teddy bear?

quirkytizzy
quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
So a poster has this as their avatar:

teddy-bear-protector.jpg

And it got me thinking. I'm 32 years old and still sleep with my stuffed animal.And old, beat up bunny rabbit that's missing an ear and it's nose has long since fallen off. It's been with me since I was 14. None of my lovers have teased me about, which is nice, but I have to wonder - do other adults still sleep with their stuffed animals?

(My BF says it's because I'm a girl and thus I can get away with it. I don't know how valid that is.)

I'm kind of nervous posting about this, because of teh lame it might be, but I'm also really curious.

What childhood habits are still with you, decades later, as a form of a safety blanket?

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    I dont have any of my stuffed animals any more but when I had my cats I would sleep with them. When the GF is over I like to cuddle with her.

When neither are present it feels kind of empty. Pillows are not quite the same
  • quirkytizzy
    I get that! If there are nights when for some reason I can't find my stuffed bunny, I'll grab one of the cats and hold them until I drift off. The BF does, too, actually. They protest, but it helps!

Yeah, pillows just aren't comforting enough.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    I'm not afraid to admit that I do. It's a Koala Bear. I bet the monsters are confused by his cute Aussie accent.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I still sleep with a blankie. Luckily, my mom knitted me a new one when my daughter was born so I didn't have to sleep with my ratty old one anymore. I've never had a man protest about it. They have all thought it was cute...or at least that's what they told me to my face.
  • quirkytizzy
    It makes me smile to know I'm not alone. Thank you guys! And I wish my bunny had an accent! :laugh: My BF jokes that if he could talk, he'd be complaining about his missing ear.

My sister - 30 years old this year - still sleeps with her baby blanket. She says for her it's better than an stuffed animal because it was given to her for her specifically. That it was very directly connected to childhood. That made a lot of sense to me!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    I sleep with a stuffed sting ray and a stuffed black halloween cat. No judgement here.
  • quirkytizzy
    I sleep with a stuffed sting ray and a stuffed black halloween cat. No judgement here.

Stingray! That's neat!! I'll bet very comfortable, too. I <3 cat stuffed animals. I have a huge chunk of the Beanie Baby cats collection!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    No teddy bear, but I am 46 and REFUSE to sleep ANYWHERE without having at least one of my two down pillows that I've had for as long as I know.
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    I have a Build A Bear named Trina that my daughter says I must sleep with ever since I got divorced almost 3 years ago. I now feel off when it's not there. Especially when she is at her dad's house. It always makes it to my bed no matter where it has traveled to
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    I don't anymore but I slept with my stuffed dinosaur all through college. It was so comfy... then I turned 24 and thought that it really needed to stop, haha.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    My bear has a permanent spot on my bed. The boy tried to move him - it did not go well.

You leave Mr. Bear alone!
  • my two jack russells :)
  • quirkytizzy
    This is so reassuring guys! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :love:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    some very tough ppl sleep w/ teddy bears

deannap_zps72b06f5a.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    some very tough ppl sleep w/ teddy bears

deannap_zps72b06f5a.jpg

LOVE!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    My teddy bear is sitting next to me as I type

and sleeps with me every night :)
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 704 Member
    Holy Sh1t!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    I love that poster. I finally gave up my much loved stuffed "rattledog" to my son when he was in 6th grade and having a tough time of it (he did not take it to boot camp or overseas, but he asked me to keep it safe for him when he left home).

Now I sleep with a dog and a husband, both of whom show striking similarities to teddy bears.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    I am 46 and REFUSE to sleep ANYWHERE without having at least one of my two down pillows that I've had for as long as I know.

Me too! It takes up a third of my backpack when I travel, but hey! It means I'll sleep well while I'm gone.
  • dkmuzzy
    dkmuzzy Posts: 12 Member
    43, and just bought my first teddy bear about six months ago. After my dog died, my bed was so empty, and as others have said, hugging a pillow just didn't work. I'm not in a position to adopt a dog right now, and won't be for a while yet, so I got a teddy bear. It's made a world of difference. Sometimes I just hold its paw... honestly! Sometimes it's just there next to me, and that's enough. For me, it's about comfort, and that's a necessity regardless of one's age.