White Potato...stay away from it or??

Options

Replies

• redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are better off going with a sweet potato. Great nutrition and they taste amazing. Scrub/wash, poke with fork, cut off ugly parts and microwave for 3.5 minutes on each side. You don't even need butter! Enjoy!

Curious as to why you feel that way? Why are they better off with sweet potato?

While the calorie and protein content are pretty much the same, sweet potatoes have a better vitamin value. AND they taste better lol. You wont even need to salt or butter them because they taste so good (and I prefer the texture of sweet over the white ones).
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes and am still losing weight! Don't deprive yourself of those delicious potatoes!

8215698.png
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Potato of any kind is my weakness ~lol~ But seriously, there is some nutritional value to a potato, just remember the key to all things yummy is moderation.... and with the potato many times it is the condiments that you put on it that are the real calorie killer :wink:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You are better off going with a sweet potato. Great nutrition and they taste amazing. Scrub/wash, poke with fork, cut off ugly parts and microwave for 3.5 minutes on each side. You don't even need butter! Enjoy!

While the calorie and protein content are pretty much the same, sweet potatoes have a better vitamin value. AND they taste better lol. You wont even need to salt or butter them because they taste so good (and I prefer the texture of sweet over the white ones).

a630093a-769e-44f8-973c-7da7c724d7e4_zps481b809d.jpg

You sure?

Edited for image size
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    They are tasty mixed with flour and doused in cheese

IMG_20130301_194509.jpg
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Nutrition wise they are pretty much the same, however sweet potatoes process slower in the body, so the effect afterwards is different. If they have no insulin issues and are not a low carber there is no reason to switch.
  • Bbcdwc
    Bbcdwc Posts: 2
    Options
    I love regular potatos!:love:
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

Holy Moses! LOL
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Stay away from white potatoes if they're on my plate, otherwise, go nuts.

Sweet potatoes taste like ****! GTFO of this thread with this nonsense!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First, white potatoes (unless they are coming from a box - then stay away!) are not refined carbs. They are one of nature's best sources of potassium and other vitamins and minerals.

Second, while diet can certainly help you lose weight - it won't help you spot reduce.

Sounds like you've been given some bad advice....
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are nutritious too as long as you don't slather it in butter or sour cream. Top it with salsa and enjoy!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Make your own fries!

Preheat oven to 400.
    Take a russet. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray them with a cooking spray (such as Pam).
    In a ziploc bag mix some paprika, parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Working in batches, put some wedges in the bag, close and shake until coated.
    Bake in oven for about 40 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through cooking time.

Yummy!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    what are everyones elses thoughts on WHITE potato?

for those of you opposed to the white potato, j'accuse...

racism!
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options

IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

Drooling! I traveled 5 hours to London (well actually 23 from Canada) to visit my favourite Italian restaurant to get their gnocchi with Gorgonzola cream sauce. This looks delish :love:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eat the potato. Potatoes are good for you. Whoever decided to start this myth that they aren't is on crack.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353881-why-are-potatoes-good-for-us/
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just another thread hating on whitey.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    hi just interested in what are people's views on this if any...i know many will say sweet potato and i've tried it and i do like it.

My concern is i'm a college student and i'm home on break at the moment and my family often cook white potato for dinner, i don't always have it but feel bad refusing it the whole time however, i'm just wondering if this is a refined carb is it bad for me?

I'm working on reducing upper tummy fat thus limiting my refined carb intake is this hindering my progress, what are everyones elses thoughts on white potato?

cX9rpXb.gif
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

IMG_20130301_194509.jpg
    JHC, this is why I love you.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I eat them with almost every meal (mashed, baked, fried, pan fried, etc.) and just make sure they fit in my calorie budget.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are nutritious too as long as you don't slather it in butter or sour cream. Top it with salsa and enjoy!

Butter and sour cream is what I used to most like about enjoying a baked potato. But I now use cottage cheese and chives.