Any amateur or professional Psychologists out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Xonophone - Thanks for that. And, although you are at goal - it's worth knowing what a grand job you've done to reach it ! If your friends have stopped telling you - say it to yourself, or log on here and I'll tell you every day.

Do you think you will stay on MFP to maintain your loss? I think when I finally reach my goal (still a way to go yet), I will most certainly keep with this site. Also, as suggested earlier, I've come up with some goals to aim for once I get there - all related to physical endurance but quite impossible for me at the moment. One involves cycling round an island - 60 miles - and I plan to get fit enough to cycle it in one day. Sounds easy but the coastal route is far longer - so would be about 90 - 100 miles in total.
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Shelagh - I really feel for you and understand what you mean. Suzyblues was saying much the same thing a few posts ago.

You have to do what works best for you. I think the suggestion about not seeing food as either crap or good is a sound one too - rather to think of it as fuel or indulgent, but - like you said, if you are a food addict it has the same effect as heroin on a drug addict and just signals a food binge.

It's possibly all to do with the addictiveness of sugar and fat and what the food industry WANT us to get hooked on because that spells PROFIT for them - which is why I am going to read the book suggested by Xonophone a few posts ago, as I think it might be useful to see where we fit in to picture of exploitation by the multinationals who want to keep us yo- yo'ing and on a permanent "diet" phase or "binge" phase - as both are vastly profitable businesses.

Good Luck, I've only just joined this site but so far it's been a wonderful tool and I've found it very helpful and the support from other people awesome.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Funnydream, absolutely! I plan on using MFP to keep me on track indefinitely. I tried calorie counting once a few years ago, before this website was around. I did it the old-fashioned way with a calorie count book, a calculator, a pad & a pencil. I lost 7 pounds in a few weeks, but it was so laborious and time consuming that I just didn't keep up with it. Once I stopped counting calories, I went back to my old ways of eating. The 7 pounds came back, and they brought friends. I am so grateful to have found this website, I have always believed that keeping a food diary is THE BEST way to stay accountable. One of the most amazing things that I have discovered by using it, and something the book talks about as well, is how satiated I feel after an appropriately sized meal. In my pre-MFP days I would eat immense amounts of food, simply because it tasted good, even after i already knew I was full. Now I limit myself to eat a certain number of calories and to my great surprise, I am not hungry when the meal ends. So yes, yes, YES I am here to stay, I will keep using MFP for as long as I possibly can!!

And I love your goal. It has always been a little dream of mine to do one of those charming European tours by bicycle, so who knows, maybe one day we will meet on a bike path in some exotic locale :happy:
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Xonophone - Thanks for that. And, although you are at goal - it's worth knowing what a grand job you've done to reach it ! If your friends have stopped telling you - say it to yourself, or log on here and I'll tell you every day.

Awww, shucks...:blushing: Thanks Funnydream! :flowerforyou: