People are dropping like flies

Options
I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in every day since I joined, but I have logged in regularly. For a lot of people the realization that you can't eat McDondalds whenever you feel like it is a deal breaker.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in every day since I joined, but I have logged in regularly. For a lot of people the realization that you can't eat McDondalds whenever you feel like it is a deal breaker.

Lol. I still eat at McDonalds regularly. I've found that if I log my food, eat a modest healthy breakfast and lunch I can still enjoy a big mac and fries after work. Honestly, It was the thought of giving up burgers that put me off dieting for so many years. I didn't realise that you can still eat what you love to eat, just not all the time!
    It's Burger King that I avoid now. Have you seen how many calories/fat are in a double whopper with cheese? 976 cal/ 61g fat. Ouch.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In my battle with weight, I have found that if you cannot get motivation from yourself, you are going to have problems. I know it sucks... but you have lost weight already, just use that as motivation. 25lbs is a good amount, you can probably see the effects of it being gone. You remember how good you felt losing that first 10lbs? How about the next ten? Use that to keep pushing.

Good luck to you and happy weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

Sounds like you joined at the beginning of the year. Obviously, that is a popular time for people to want to get healthier/stronger, so just like gym memberships increase at that time, so does the membership of this website. And just like the gym starts to have less and less returning members, a lot of the people that joined here start to dwindle as well.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works well but it is a two way street. You can get support from your friends but you have to be there for them too. I check my friends list daily to see who hasn't logged in in 3 days and send a message to them asking if everything is okay and offering to bend an ear.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You're bound to find people who will want to stay friends with you and motivate you. Give it time. Congrats on your weightloss!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I joined in January and I'm still here. I've only lost 18 pounds and my goal was 20 but I've lost 2 sizes and a lot of body fat. I haven't gone anywhere.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is my third or fourth health & wellness site and I've found that's pretty common. Weight loss and overall health is one of those things that people will come and go from. Some people come and go several times a year, some people show up once and stay for the long haul. I try to just review my friends list and keep in touch with people, but you'll always have to add new if the social aspect is really important to you.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I've been here over a year now. I find for me I'm not motivated by others. I find motivation in myself and what I want to achieve. Set small realistic goals that won't make you feel overwhelmed. i do 5lbs at a time.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I lose some and gain some every year. I love my consistent friends but give new ones the benefit of the doubt. It happens....:flowerforyou:
  • dmkirk28
    dmkirk28 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good for you for sticking with it! Keep it up!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • hiiamamie
    hiiamamie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awsome!!! I'm committed 100%, I'm not going anywhere. You go!!! :)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I've been here for 3 years and can tell ya that people come and go, some even come back after a while.....some it's because they are overwhelmed by the drama of the forums.....some because it's bad for their relationships, and the others who realize they don't need this place to succeed, and others because they realize they really DO need this place to stay on track....\m/

RAID-SPRAY.jpg
    or someone is spraying this....\m/
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Logging my intake was the single best thing I have done. I am accountable for those calories and my eating habits. This has reallyyyyy made me aware of my emotional and boredom eating habits. I do this every day...for everything...and it works!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Once I got off the junk food for about 30 days I found I did not want it anymore. And I am a junk food junkie. Having said that.. when I DO get a craving I indulgs a small amount, but only if I am willing to either work off the calories or not add something else LOL.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am hit 90 days today. Friends on here go through cycles. I tend to go and look and see who hasn't been active in awhile and just delete them. I have failed many times but I plan to succeed. I can't blame someone who failed because I have been that person many times over.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have been logging on since early March 2012. Was too hours to late on 9/28/12 after I had surgery, so they docked me a day. Still here, still motivated, not going anywhere anytime soon. I have learned that people do come and go and not everyone is a good match, support wise, for me. I have friends who have been with me since the beginning. And yes, encouragement and support are two way streets. If you stick with it, you will find those friends who are right for the support you need. Me, I had weight loss surgery on 9/27 and a few friends were offended, so they are gone. I find that there are just so many good hearted people out there. Good luck!
  • fliegel1
    fliegel1 Posts: 1
    Options
    That is a great weight loss.Keep up the good job.I know it is really hard to loss weight as it has been a great struggle for me. I am down 45 lbs. and am stuck need to lose 55 more pounds. Incourage:happy: :smile: ment is a great feeling.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Motivation is the number one thing we all lose, its hard to stay motivated and on track , its interesting especially since thats why diets fail , i have a lot of support from home , time to time, it depends on the day ,

Combined between me my husband and my step daughter who moved in with us , we have over 350 lbs to lose...
    so there's definitely incentive, but keeping with it meal to meal minute to minute can be hard , as we all know, and ultimately, i joined this site last year in June/July, i have yo yoed, but not gotten down any real (to me measurable) amount since then , and still i fall down pick my self up and dust off constantly , i reset my goals and re dedicated , but i know the best best best way to do this is with support,

truthfully , MFP has replaced Facebook for me , that's how important losing this weight is ...
    and that might not seem like a big deal , but i work on my computer all day , 90% of that time online
    and that means a lot to me , i manage 3 separate FB pages, my work , a couponing page and one of my sick twisted humor.. not to mention personal too..