People are dropping like flies

Options

Replies

• desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've logged in everyday since I started, MFP is probably my most frequently visited website.. I'm obsessed. ;)

I too had most of my early friends drop out, but there are still a few sticking there with me and I've made plenty more.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I joined in January and I'm still here. I've only lost 18 pounds and my goal was 20 but I've lost 2 sizes and a lot of body fat. I haven't gone anywhere.

You've lost 18 just since January?:drinker: I'm jealous! I've only lost 13 since August. :grumble: But here I am plugging away. I've signed in religiously EVERY SINGLE DAY. I don't always log all of my food, but I sign in and read the forums where I gain inspiration, knowledge and many laughs. I also try to offer support to my friends when I feel I have something to offer.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Many get caught up in the initial enthusiasm and the fun of inviting friends. Then they find out adding friends is easy... losing weight is hard. They probably just aren't ready. I hit 60 before I was ready. Consider your FL as "fluid." Congrats on your weight loss.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works well but it is a two way street. You can get support from your friends but you have to be there for them too. I check my friends list daily to see who hasn't logged in in 3 days and send a message to them asking if everything is okay and offering to bend an ear.

^^^I send friends messages that haven't logged in, too!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

oh you added a bunch of the January resolutioners....that happens...it's ok....they will be back when they have a wedding in 2 months, or need that bikini body in two weeks or just before Thanksgiving/Xmas and if not at any of these junctures they will be back next New Years, bright and early.

Congratulations to you for swimming through all the swimmers and making it to the big pool....
    This. For many* people a New Year's resolution is on par with buying a lottery ticket as a plan to get rich. They just do it because it's a fad or what other people do, and aren't very serious about it or putting real lasting effort into it. You can try looking for friends now, and look for ones that have been around a while. You might want to hurry, beach season is coming up and the next wave of fad dieters will be showing up soon. :wink:

*Many does not mean all. If you are here now you are probably one of the exceptions. Thanks for understanding the difference.
    I certainly hope nobody is losing weight to placate some internet friends they have never met irl...
    What? You mean there's other reasons? Riiiiight.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Monday marked 2 years for me on MFP

I have had a huge cycle in friends...

I feel sad knowing some of my original friends deleted me without reason ( I have been active every single day since I joined)

You will find some people are just in a fad - and others are in it for the long haul

Add me if you like - I am not going anywhere : )
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it. A lot of people drop out because they're not ready to do what it takes to lose the weight. It took me a long time and many tries and giving up many times before I was really ready to do it the right way. So, yeah, people are going to drop out. But there are a lot of people here who have stuck with it and lost the weight and kept it off, or are committed and still in process. You'll find them if you look.

Ultimately, though, you have to be willing to do this for you, which it look like you are. So, keep up the good work!
  • belleparis
    belleparis Posts: 111
    Options
    Add new friends!!! See who is always posting or join a group and find active people there. I draw motivation from friends as well as these awesome supportive forums. Keep going..25lbs its 1/4 of 100!!! Thats a lot! Keep going! :)
  • KEHAOMAI
    KEHAOMAI Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I need serious motivation, and people to encourage as well. Lets get together and conquer this battle!!! Please feel free to friend me. :)
  • AllOfTheStars77
    AllOfTheStars77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think as a new member it is nice to hear that you do this. Obviously if a person isn't truly ready then they will dwindle but to have someone check in then maybe it will make a bit of a difference..
  • AllOfTheStars77
    AllOfTheStars77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with him....you are right on track
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair MFP isn't going to be the right fit for everyone and there are other sites that offer similar tools and also have community such as sparkpeople and whatnot. Or maybe some decide they don't want the community after all and just switch to a standalone calorie tracker. I mean, who knows, really?

I personally like it here. Getting my physical act together wasn't a new year's resolution for me, just the timing of things made it seem that way I guess. Either way, I'm committed. However, MFP is probably going to be a temporary thing for me too. It's unrealistic to expect a site like this to have true permanence for anyone, and so I would use the words "long term" very loosely in this context. But just because people quit MFP doesn't mean they quit themselves or their goals.

I've been dropped from friends lists (not sure why, been logging in daily since I started ... and I do use deodorant) ... and in turn I've dropped people that hadn't logged in a while and that I don't know in real life so I have no idea what they're up to. So? Who cares? Sometimes someone you think is a good fit for a support system, won't be, just like in real life. I'm happy to have found a group of gals with similar interests, and that's where I hang out more so than my news feed. I have most of my notifications turned off because I didn't want to clutter up my news feed or that of others with unnecessary things. I'm more interested in what people have to say so I can respond and be supportive.

But even in the groups the attendance is fluid. If you're expecting permanence where there is none to be had (since this is the interwebs, after all), then perhaps adjust your expectations. People come and go all the time. That's just life.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    you know, it's nice to have people cheer you on, but they don't have to live in your body. alot of people in any self improvement group drop out. MFP gives you some wonderful tools, but if you're really not ready to commit, you ultimately drop out. If it worked for everyone, then we would see society getting thinner. Obviously, that's not happening...

You just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in every day since I joined, but I have logged in regularly. For a lot of people the realization that you can't eat McDondalds whenever you feel like it is a deal breaker.

The truth has been told!
  • nataliedrake3
    nataliedrake3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is so great to see all the responses on people's struggle and victories!! Everyone has their own way of dealing with their weight loss, and I think you can get inspired to keep on track when you see others so happy that they are winning the battle of the bulge :) Keep up the great work everyone!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    some just stay till they lose it , then are gone, i am here always, anyone can add me.
  • BrayLanAusMom
    BrayLanAusMom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very Nice! 25 Pounds WTG!! Self Motivation is priceless...
  • 9JANE
    9JANE Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YOU GO NOBODY CAN STOP YOU!!! You can do it by yourself and you can get some people to help. I have been on here since 2009 and I have a few friends.:smile:
  • AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people come here for a quick diets when it really needs to be a lifestyle. Last summer i started biking here and there and was super stoked about it....but i was still eating crap food and not working out daily or anything. It took me seeing that change wasn't going to be a quick fix to get serious about it. I log every day, and find my friends on MFP motivating, not just because they are on daily but watching their struggles, and triumphs helps me see that I am not alone in this journey. MFP is the same as any other relationship, it takes dedication, and hard work. Keep it up, and find new friends. I am always looking for more motivating friends, and i enjoy cheering others on!!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

Add me.