How Important Is Your Music to You Workouts?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run.

I'm about 50/50 when I workout, doesn't really make any difference for me.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I cannot work out without music, at all what-so-ever.
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    Totally important. The music they pump into my gym is crap to say the least. Definitely need my ipod so I can get some high tempo tunes going. Nothing worse than trying to workout to ballads!

I notice it at spin class too, especially when they have us doing sprints. One instructor has just the right songs to beast it to, it winds up pace wise so before you know it, you're flat out! Awesome.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I lift in what used to be my photo studio. I still have my computer equipment in there (It's still my space, no matter what I'm doing with it), and have Spotify installed and listen to it fairly regularly, given the variety of music I can put together on playlists.

The router needed to be rebooted, so there was no internet connection, the newest playlist had not been switched to be able to listen offline, and it all just stopped. It sucked the fun right out of my workout, and believe me, I don't sing well when I'm trying to squat heavy, LOL...

Much depends on the mood I'm in, so I run the gamut of 80's new wave to Hollywood Undead, and some other bizarre stuff in between.

No music, no workie...

ETA: The actual point was that if the music dies, so does the workout... :wink:
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it always helps me step it up when there's some upbeat music to work out to. That, or watching some extreme weight loss show on TV while I cycle (I have a stationary bike in front of the TV). Anything that gets you going! 80's music or just about anything with a solid dance beat usually gets me going.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I turned around and drove home once when I realized my mp3 player was dead after getting to the gym. lol.

I'm not that much of a slack-*kitten* anymore, but yeah, have to have some music.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Music is VITAL! To the extent I customize my playlists on a weekly basis. Using EDM for Cardio & Hip-Hop/Reggaeton for Weights. Essentially whatever gets you hyped for each...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I like music for high intensity workouts and for low intensity workouts I load up on the audio books. I get lots of free classics off librivox.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I have done this.:smile:
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally depend on music for a good work-out.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Can't work out without it the faster the tempo the faster and longer I run. The angrier the music the harder I push.
  • jada_analynn
    Options
    Music is very important to my workouts!! I find hip hop, latin pop, and reggae music boosts my energy to stay on the elliptical or treadmill for a longer period of time. Loud, angry music gets my blood pumping so I go faster.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to watching scary/action filled tv shows on Netflix while I do my cardio. I have been watching Supernatural, Walking Dead, and now Jericho.... an episode on Netflix is about 45 minutes. I totally get into it....when the action is high, I forces myself to push harder. Strange maybe, but it works for me.... I am also addicted to Zombies, Run when I run outside... so there is probably a connection.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the same!

No music, no workouts will happen.

Old music, boring workouts will happen.

New music, great workouts will happen. :)

^^ This. Unless I'm on the elliptical - Then I just watch tv.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if we were in the year 2002? Why are you guys getting tired of your own playlists when you can just listen to thousands and thousands of different and new songs through Pandora or some other internet radio? I haven't listened to my own music in a couple of years and don't plan on it anytime soon.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I can lift without any music or whatever is playing at the gym.
  • malou1985
    malou1985 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I cannot work out without music, at all what-so-ever.

i agree completely
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The option/need for music usually only comes on the days I run, since I go for at least an hour. After about 10 minutes, the sounds of other people in the gym, or my feet on the pavement is a bit stale, so that fills in the monotony.

On the other hand, the days that I do weight training, I never use music. I find it difficult to count while focusing on the music. Apparently I can't multitask lol
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    No music = not a real workout
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Gave up music on my long runs. Either I go without or I listen to. . . messages from a church I really dig on the West coast. I like to be able to concentrate of my breathing and cadence, and it's too hard when the beat of the music butts in all the time. :-)

But, when I race long distances, music. . .driving beats. . .really do give me a lift.