Need a Low Carb / Low Sodium Pasta, any suggestions??

Options
Trying to put an Italian dish together. I got lean meat, veggies, and found Cucina Antica - Tomato Basil Cooking Sauce, but having trouble finding any good pasta that is low carb/low sodium? Or any other ideas to add to the dish, don't want just meat and sauce.

Thank you.

Replies

• Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Instead of using traditional pasta, try using Spaghetti Squash!
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tofu noodles are very low carb and low calorie and it has a very similar taste to regular pasta. I dont know if you live near Publix grocery stores but that's where I purchase from.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    ****aki noodles. Not tried them but worth a shot, other than that just a small amount of pasta with tonnes of veg and plenty of meat! Think I'd rather have the real thing or nothing! Lol.

Zara :-)

Lmao... Shi taki (one word) also called miracle noodles.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    is whole wheat pasta lower? I thought it was, could be wrong, or buckwheat?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    is whole wheat pasta lower? I thought it was, could be wrong, or buckwheat?

Buckwheat soba noodles are def not lower cal or carb.

Try the spaghetti squash.
    Or Ronzoni smart taste, not lower carb or cals but has more fiber...
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Veggie pasta or spinach pasta. I believe they are lower carb and taste really really good. Its my new favorite pasta.
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is awesome...season with garlic and cracked pepper while cooking adds tremedous flavor...better than any pasta...
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles or spaghetti squash....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Trying to put an Italian dish together. I got lean meat, veggies, and found Cucina Antica - Tomato Basil Cooking Sauce, but having trouble finding any good pasta that is low carb/low sodium? Or any other ideas to add to the dish, don't want just meat and sauce.

Thank you.

There is no real substitute for pasta, at least if you care about the taste of your food. If you don't shirataki all the way
  • kylacarroll
    kylacarroll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Zucchini long shreds can turn into nice pasta, and Shirataki noodles are good. Just make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse them and cook them in the sauce you're using for at least 2 minutes, no longer than 7-ish or they'll get soggy.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I shred zucchini!!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    shirataki pasta...
    I'm not a huge fan of the taste of these, they work ok in asian dishes, but never tried them in an italian dish. Some brands are NoOodles, Miracle Noodle and they are ready cooked, kept in a bag of water. simply rinse and add to your dish.

If you're going for italian, I highly recommend spaghetti squash. I also love using zuchini or yellow summer squash in lazagna. I've heard eggplant can be used too.

I'm unsure of sodium content in noodles, but basically, any noodle made with wheat (whole wheat, bleached wheat, whatever) is going to have a fairly high carb count. Gluten free noodles have the highest carb counts that I've seen. Unless you use shirataki noodles, no noodle dish is going to be low carb.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

THIS and it adds flavor and is great for you.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Also just looked up egg noodles they are about half the carbs
  • mrswoodstock
    mrswoodstock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i use Dreamfields pasta. the calories is about the same but the fiber is high so the carb count is like 5 per serviing as opposed to 30 something. i get it at walmart or kroger in the pasta isle. its usually on the top shelf adn costs about 1.98 per box. my family cant tell the diff between it and "regular" spaghetti
  • 21alpine
    21alpine Posts: 41
    Options
    Dreamfields pasta has 5 net digestable carbs per serving. Black box and be found @ Hannafords, Market Basket and some Walmarts. Not sure about anywhere else.

I might also suggest an alternative to pasta. I julianne cabbage and steam or boil it and serve it with my homemade spaghetti sauce. I'm trying to stay away from pasta. I find it very tasty :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The beauty of pasta is that is a pure carb. Don't destroy beauty.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Spaghetti squash is yummy :)
  • blkenigma8
    blkenigma8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Use Zucchini strips. OOORRRR I found this new pasta I haven't tried yet. Its called dream fields. It's only 17g of carbs vs. real pasta at 50g of carbs.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Another vote for shirataki tofu noodles. Some people complain of the fishy smell, but that's because they did not rinse and parboil them. I just made some tuna casserole with them yesterday, tastes amazing!