Squats Make You Fat

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    While working out at a Planet Fitness in PA in 2007(on vacation at Hershey's Park), a "PT" told me that the way I was curling (I was in the same stance as a barbell row, but doing curls with my elbows isolated) wouldn't result in better biceps.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Running WILL make your uterus fall out, so don't do it until you are done having kids!

Unfortunately this asinine reason or something similiar was used for many years to prevent women from competing in distance running

Do they think it's just bouncing around in there loose or something? This kills me.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    squats made me so fat.......

0_o
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Someone actually toldme that if you don't shower right after you work out/sweat that your skin will reabsorb the fat that came out along with the sweat you produced. Gotta love that advice....

Hmm noo but you may get pimply :)
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I don't have a single quote to contribute, but this thread is hilarious!!! :noway:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    My marathon running coworker won't lift weights because they make her slower.

I've told her she can put them down before running, but no avail.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    An older family friend came over when i was working out and saw me deadlifting. She said that if i keep lifting that much weight i will never have babies. I didn't ask for an explanation why.

It's cause your girl parts will fall down and turn into boy parts, just like your fat is turning into muscle and your getting all bulky and stuff.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I was told I didn't need to worry about losing weight to decrease my chances of diabetes because I was TOO YOUNG to get diabetes. I'm in my 30s.

Illnesses don't ask for ID.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was also told by my co worker that running would make my uterus fall out. And he was serious.

If that were true, wouldn't there be a bunch of uteruses all over the road after a marathon????
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I was told:
    - You have to eat breakfast or your metabolism will slow down
    - Can't absorb more than 20 grams of protein in one sitting
    - Lifting weights makes you bulky (anything but!)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

My mom is worried that I'm going to hurt myself because "deadlifts are dangerous".

They ARE dangerous if you lift with improper form. Deadlifts need to be treated with the utmost respect. Just sayin'...your mom is right as usual.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    A "trainer" approached me and gave unsolicited advice about how I should never ever do weights above 5 pounds because "they will make me bigger"

Instant credibility destruction.

He was creeping
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I was also told by my co worker that running would make my uterus fall out. And he was serious.

If that were true, wouldn't there be a bunch of uteruses all over the road after a marathon????

LMAO! :laugh:
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes you fat because the water is cold. So you store more fat. You know, like a polar bear or Seal :/

Doesn't seem THAT fat to me...
    tumblr_m1b0dyQu7V1r01bb2o1_500.png

OMFG nearly fell out of the chair.... <3 swimming
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Running WILL make your uterus fall out, so don't do it until you are done having kids!

My MIL is an RN and she told me that it makes everything inside drop like your uterus. It kind of scared me a little bit coming from a nurse. I don't plan on having kids but I don't want anything falling out haha.

Ha ha, love this thread! I was told by older women in the gym when I was pregnant that I was NOT supposed to workout when I'm pregnant. Then when they see me again they stare me down and give me the evil eye! Had 5 healthy babies and was at the gym the day I went into labor with 3 of them. : )

Good thing I didn't hear crazy advice like that. I circuit trained until I was about 8 month pregnant. Thank god I did - or I never would have had the stamina for delivery!!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes you fat because the water is cold. So you store more fat. You know, like a polar bear or seal :/

I actually read a book recently which cited some studies that found that elite swimmers had higher body fat percentages on average than elite athletes in other sports where the other athletes had similar resting heart rates and VO2 max.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options

My MIL is an RN and she told me that it makes everything inside drop like your uterus. It kind of scared me a little bit coming from a nurse. I don't plan on having kids but I don't want anything falling out haha.

Ha ha, love this thread! I was told by older women in the gym when I was pregnant that I was NOT supposed to workout when I'm pregnant. Then when they see me again they stare me down and give me the evil eye! Had 5 healthy babies and was at the gym the day I went into labor with 3 of them. : )

Good thing I didn't hear crazy advice like that. I circuit trained until I was about 8 month pregnant. Thank god I did - or I never would have had the stamina for delivery!!

No kidding right!!! People think you need to train for a marathon but you should lie around for 9 months and then have push through the hardest workout you will ever experience!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Huh, my Dr told me squats and deadlifts would make my uterus fall out. I guess uteruses just delicate all around.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Had one friend tell me once that people were fat in America cuz they eat more red meat than in other countries and that red meat is bad for you cuz its high in fat, Lean Red meat is actually good for ya. while most people think that red meat is packed with artery-clogging saturates, around half the fat in red meat is actually heart-healthy monounsaturates. In particular, red meat contains oleic acid, the same type of fat that’s found in olive oil.

And red meat is packed with a wide range of vitamins and minerals, especially iron. Around 40% of women aged between 19 and 34 have such low intakes of this nutrient that they’re at risk of suffering from anaemia, a condition that causes extreme tiredness, lack of energy and shortness of breath when exercising.

Also that if you lift weights you will bulk up instead of lose weight. That's not true, how many female fitness instructors that workout with weights do you see that are huge and fat looking. None of em.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    OHP is bad for the shoulders and squats are bad for knees.