For those of you who like Yoplait "Greek" Yogurt...

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I get my 0% Fage 32 oz container at Costco $5.99

(this means even if your costco doesn't carry it yet, they can get it because it has been sold to costco before. go bug the people at the front desk and they will bring it in for you, I know this works because my mom did it at her costco)
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I thought I'd just share with you that you can make your own 'greek yogurt', if you'd like to! Tends to be cheaper, and you can use your favourite plain yogurt to make it (that way you can get organic if you'd like).

Greek yogurt is just strained yogurt, which removes the whey. Just line a colander with a cheese cloth or dishtowel, and set it up over a bowl to catch the liquid. Throw it into the fridge until you get the right texture, and you're set to go! Yummy.

Or you can get fancy and make your own yogurt to begin with...!

Oh, and Kraft is disgusting... You think by not buying cigarettes you aren't supporting the industry? Well, Kraft's owned by Phillip Morris. I don't know much about MPC, but it seems like no one else does either... it's imported, not regulated, and pretty sketchy.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Is Milk Protein Concentrate the same as whey?

Good lord I hope not!

Good question though. I don't think they are the same. Whey comes from seperating the milk into curdles and something else...can't remember it all. MPC is the icky byproducts left over from all the processing....like the random bits of animal left over after butchering.

Well kraft cheese is suppose to say it contains MPC, but it doesn't. Not even on the mac n cheese. The common ingredient that the two have is Whey, which is the only thing of each that comes from a by product. Whey -It is a by-product of the manufacture of cheese or casein and has several commercial uses.

I know Kraft got in trouble years ago for not having MPC on their lable, but wouldn't they have corrected that problem already?

Also, in Yoplait regular yogurt, not Greek yogurt, it does not contain MPC and does come from milk.

I looked on both Kraft singles (sliced cheese), Kraft 2% singles, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese box over the weekend and they all said Milk Protein Concentrate which is MPC. So I'm not sure where you are looking and not seeing it, but I saw it on multiple Kraft products over the weekend.

As a matter of fact, here is the ingredient list directly from the Kraft website:
    MACARONI AND CHEESE - MACARONI & CHEESE DINNER - FAMILY SIZE
    Ingredients: ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE [IRON], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE:mad: , SALT, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CITRIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE). CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK.
    Size: 14.5 OZ
    Upc: 2100065894

KRAFT SINGLES - KRAFT SINGLES - AMERICAN 24 CT
    Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE:mad: , SALT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, VITAMIN D3, CHEESE CULTURE.
    Size: 16 OZ
    Upc: 2100061526
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I thought I'd just share with you that you can make your own 'greek yogurt', if you'd like to! Tends to be cheaper, and you can use your favourite plain yogurt to make it (that way you can get organic if you'd like).

Greek yogurt is just strained yogurt, which removes the whey. Just line a colander with a cheese cloth or dishtowel, and set it up over a bowl to catch the liquid. Throw it into the fridge until you get the right texture, and you're set to go! Yummy.

Or you can get fancy and make your own yogurt to begin with...!

Oh, and Kraft is disgusting... You think by not buying cigarettes you aren't supporting the industry? Well, Kraft's owned by Phillip Morris. I don't know much about MPC, but it seems like no one else does either... it's imported, not regulated, and pretty sketchy.

I have already tried this when I first started low carbing back in 2003. It is not the same. Yes, it does thicken things up a bit, but it is nothing like Fage.

I think the Greek yogurts are a lot more natural than anything Dannon, Yoplait or anyone of these Mainstream companies can produce. Have you all looked at the chemicals in the yogurts that are sold in the typical dairy case............

Fage is very basic on the ingredients. No modified food starches, preservatives, etc............
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Ok, reading up on MPC, it is GROSS.................and causing problems in our country, another reason to buy milk = buy American.
    Buy products manufactured in the US, but with MPC in it, means buying an imported product.............
    Milk protein concentrates are created when milk is ultra-filtered, a process that drains out the lactose and keeps the milk protein and other large molecules. The protein components are then dried and become a powder. That all sounds relatively benign - until we learn that those "other large molecules" can include bacteria and somatic cells; that virtually all MPCs come from other countries, most of them with very poor food safety records (China, India, Poland, the Ukraine); and that the milk used to make MPCs is usually not cows' milk. More often, it is from water buffalo, yaks, or other animals common to the countries where MPCs are manufactured.

Taken from this website..................... http://www.ethicurean.com/2009/03/10/mpcs/
  • pdshopdrop
    pdshopdrop Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a new greek yogurt - Athenos Strained Greek Yogurt. Sold at Walmart in my area. The container did not say anything about live cultures. Does anyone know if this product contains live cultures. I have been searching on line all evening and cannot find out anything from Kraft or any other place on this. Thanks
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a new greek yogurt - Athenos Strained Greek Yogurt. Sold at Walmart in my area. The container did not say anything about live cultures. Does anyone know if this product contains live cultures. I have been searching on line all evening and cannot find out anything from Kraft or any other place on this. Thanks

I'm pretty sure I bought a tub of this once on the fly. Not knowing it was made by kraft. It has mpcs in it I believe and it does NOT taste like real Greek yogurt.

Also, of a yogurt container doesn't say anywhere on the tub that it has cultures, then it doesn't. It would be in the ingredients and most yogurts have a little blurb about it elsewhere as well.
  • brittneydora25
    brittneydora25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yummy idea for Greek Yogurt-

Mix about 1/2 a cup with about 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and a dash or two of cinnamon.
    Makes for a great fruit dip.
    I like dipping bananas and apples! :smile:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I bought a tub of this once on the fly. Not knowing it was made by kraft. It has mpcs in it I believe and it does NOT taste like real Greek yogurt.

Also, of a yogurt container doesn't say anywhere on the tub that it has cultures, then it doesn't. It would be in the ingredients and most yogurts have a little blurb about it elsewhere as well.

I tried Athenos strawberry greek yogurt yesterday. BLECH! It was not nearly as good as Oikos. I had to add sweetener to it just to choke it down. Didn't realize it was made by Kraft (which I boycott due to them adding milk protein concentrates) or I wouldn't have bought it.

A VERY enlightening article about Greek yogurts: http://hungryhungryhippie.com/2011/04/11/its-all-greek/
  • Elssha
    Elssha Posts: 5
    Options
    any word on dannon's light and fit greek? My family just got a box of the 80cal packs from costco.
    It's not fage (my usual eat)... but the packs have a third less calories than the Fage I was buying... so I'm on the fence >_<
  • AmandaLipphardt
    AmandaLipphardt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Elssha, first let me take a moment to geek out over your avatar. I love Captian Hitsugaya!

As fas as Dannon I don't know about the nutritional quality but the taste is definiely not as good as Chobani or Fage. Its better then the Yoplait though. I think the best of the Greek Yogurt is the black cherry one that comes out of Trader Joe's (if you have one near you) but Chobani is my close runner up. I'd say the Dannon is okay but you should spring for Chobani or Fage if you can.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the added sugars and sweeteners.

Stick with Fage, that stuff is gold.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have to laugh. This thread has been resurrected every year at about this time since 2010:drinker:

I love my Oikos
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How have we gotten to three pages without a mention of Greek Gods Honey Greek Yogurt? You may keep your Fage; I'll have that instead! :happy:
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I thought it tasted like artifical crap too!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How have we gotten to three pages without a mention of Greek Gods Honey Greek Yogurt? You may keep your Fage; I'll have that instead! :happy:
    I'm currently eating Fage with honey on it! Never heard of your brand of choice, do they sell it in the UK?
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have Dannon 80 calorie because it was cheapest.... I MIGHT try Fage this week
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Concentrated protein sounds good to me - both for strength and general fat loss!

Whey used to be considered just waste product from making curd based cheese.

Now they can use it to make whey powder, which sells for a lot more per kg than cheese does!
    (Though of course it takes a load more whey-juice than that to make it.)
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat the Yoplait "Greek" until I learned it's not really Greek yogurt, only "Greek Style". No thanks! I am not completely in love with Chobani and I'm never going back to the cheap imitations!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat the Yoplait "Greek" until I learned it's not really Greek yogurt, only "Greek Style". No thanks! I am not completely in love with Chobani and I'm never going back to the cheap imitations!

"I am now completely in love with Chobani"---typo, oops. i need more coffee.