Am I eating badly??

Options
Check out my food diary. I looked through this forum and people say not to eat any processed food/sugars. OK so that's impossible for me, completely impossible, and I refuse to do that. 52 g of sugar from Special K cereal, yoplait nonfat yogurt, skinny cow ice cream sandwich, a lean cuisine meal, and whatever else I forgot. I ate under my calorie budget though and under my fat budget. I might snack later tonight but w/e.
I don't really have the patience or willpower or desire to cut out sugar and salt and everything yummy. I guess I'm annoyed with this forum. Everyone's obsessed with keeping their counts to the gram perfectly.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried that you've only net 950 calories.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    People will say lean cuisine and stuff isn't good and to eat more whole foods. But I don't think there is anything to wrong with it once in a while.
  • cdt4717
    cdt4717 Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't really have a choice I have to eat processed foods it's just easier and that's how my mom cooks
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a choice I have to eat processed foods it's just easier and that's how my mom cooks

Sooooo, are you really 18? Because if you were, you most definitely have a choice to go out and get a job, buy some groceries, and cook some food.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary. I cook the majority of meals at home, but still eat fast food, pizza, drink beer, wine, margaritas....you'll find Girl Scout cookies, See's chocolates, plenty of Starbucks, cereal, good ol' white sugar and flour, potatoes, white rice, etc, etc, on my list. Been eating 1800+ calories of all kinds of food for over a year and have done quite well.

I eat "the good stuff" most of the time, but still enjoy some processed stuff. I don't cut anything out entirely - this is for life, and I'm going to continue to enjoy what I like, and by exercising and eating well most of the time, I can do that and still lose the fat. :drinker:

Edited to add: Although I will say, if you can get off those Lean Cuisines or other types of frozen prepared meals, do it! They are loaded with sodium and not that great. There are healthier choices out there. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a whole lot of veg in there...like one serving. Where are your nutrient dense foods? You can most definitely lose weight eating ****ty food and maintaining a deficit...but you won't necessarily come out on top health wise. That's not to say you can't have some junk food from time to time...I'm an IIFYM guy, but I also eat a lot of nutrient dense, whole foods. This has made the difference from being on the verge of an early heart attack and having completely normal blood work in 6 months time.

But whatever...it's your body, do what you want.
  • cdt4717
    Options
    I didn't put the fruit in my diary, I didn't think it mattered. I've eaten cantaloupe and blackberries today.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    We all have choice. Fruit and veg is easy to come by and prepare. Most of it can even be eaten raw if you're not great in the kitchen but you'll need to learn if you're going to fend for yourself in a healthy way. Foods like porridge are easy to make and healthy too. Why not take over the kitchen once a week and cook healthily for the whole family?

'Easier' won't cut it with us lot! ;-)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried that you've only net 950 calories.

This - you need to eat back your exercise calories :happy:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking the question when you already seemed to have formed an opinion?

I think the more important question is, what is your goal?

Do you want to be healthier? If so,..healthier than what? Are you unhealthy now? What kind of problem are we dealing with?

Mostly it sounds like you just came to bait people into an argument. I apologize if that's an incorrect interpretation.
  • cdt4717
    Options

Sooooo, are you really 18? Because if you were, you most definitely have a choice to go out and get a job, buy some groceries, and cook some food.

All right I see your point here. I AM 18. I'm not going to get a job. I don't need to. My mom and I usually eat pasta, breads, frozen things like pierogies, or rotisserie chicken, salads, whatever. What am I supposed to eat, freaking quinoa or something?
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Before you changed your response, you said you "have to work with the lifestyle you got." - Honestly, with the money you're putting towards processed foods, you'd save buying cleaner, whole foods, chicken, turkey, etc.

And yes fruit does count, there's typically heaps of sugar in them plus including them in your food diary helps accurately calculate the calories, macros, and micros.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are necessarily saying don't eat sugar and processed food, but more along the lines of don't make it all that you eat. All though some folks do follow a life style where they don't eat processed food.

Personally, I eat what I want for the most part.. but I eat a serving size and put it away. I don't eat a whole bag of chips, a gallon of ice cream, etc in one sitting. I follow what most call "moderation".
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options

All right I see your point here. I AM 18. I'm not going to get a job. I don't need to. My mom and I usually eat pasta, breads, frozen things like pierogies, or rotisserie chicken, salads, whatever. What am I supposed to eat, freaking quinoa or something?

I hate teenagers these days.....
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't really have the patience or willpower or desire to cut out sugar and salt and everything yummy. I guess I'm annoyed with this forum. Everyone's obsessed with keeping their counts to the gram perfectly.
    Also - with this attitude, you're probably going to have some asinine rebuttal to every informed criticism.

1304256792347_4253719.png
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking the question when you already seemed to have formed an opinion?

Do you want to be healthier? If so,..healthier than what? Are you unhealthy now? What kind of problem are we dealing with?

Mostly it sounds like you just came to bait people into an argument. I apologize if that's an incorrect interpretation.

Yes. The last sentence in particular.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    I didn't put the fruit in my diary, I didn't think it mattered. I've eaten cantaloupe and blackberries today.
    cookbooks are great. My mom cooked but she really didn't like to. when she learned that I could read a cookbook and follow directions she gladly bought what I need to make new dishes. good luck!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Yes. The last sentence in particular.

ETA: I mean the OP's last sentence
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary. I looked through this forum and people say not to eat any processed food/sugars. OK so that's impossible for me, completely impossible, and I refuse to do that. 52 g of sugar from Special K cereal, yoplait nonfat yogurt, skinny cow ice cream sandwich, a lean cuisine meal, and whatever else I forgot. I ate under my calorie budget though and under my fat budget. I might snack later tonight but w/e.
    Not impossible you just choose not to get a job and buy your own food.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say ..bad... but a LOT of processed foods, cereal, lean cuisine , subway. I have subway here and there but not many heat up meals except if im closing at work. You will lose weight but its not the best food for your body. Plus a lot of sodium so you may not show a loss on the scale. eating clean doesn't have to to $$, try eggs, whole wheat, chicken, veggies.
This discussion has been closed.