I'm supposed to eat out tonight!

Options
So, my boyfriend's family want to take me and him to dinner because I babysat one of their grandkids. And they won't stop asking and being presistent, so I have to get it over with. And they've chosen to take us to Black Angus. A holy grail of sodium.

So, I already know that they're going to have a coupon for BA's "Campfire Feast for 2" thing, which includes an appetizer, 2 entrees, and a dessert, and expect my boyfriend and I to share it. But holy cow, their menu is just full of sodium and fat. I skipped lunch today because I wasn't feeling too great from some leftover seafood I had, so I have a lot of calories and such left, but BA's food just seems really unhealthy.

BF loves their Sampler app, which comes with shrimp w/ cocktail sauce, fried zucchini, buffalo chicken tenders, and potato skins. I'll eat the shrimp, but everything else just seems super unhealthy. For the entrees, I have a choice of a bunch of steaks, King Salmon, or 2 grilled chicken breasts (which I'll only eat one of). The chicken has double the sodium of the fish, but I don't think I can eat more seafood today x.x

The entree comes with 2 sides, all of which are terrible for you. The vegetables are broccoli w/ parmesan, green beans w/ bacon, or salad. Or some baked potatoes.

Then there's dessert, and the lowest cal one (other than a root beer float, I don't drink soda) is a "big mountain chocolate fudge cake". Sounds like death.

Any tips? :( Sorry for the super long post.

Replies

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Black Angus is a great place to eat. Meat and veggies. You don't have to eat anything else. Have fun.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Ummm - just say no - choose the healthier options.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    This may not help you, but this is what I would tell myself.

Don't sweat it. For this night, enjoy the company of family and eat what sounds good--having nothing to do what you think or know the overall health/fat/sodium values to be. Have some chicken and a little chocolate. One night of sensible tastey--albeit perhaps less than optimally healthy--choices is not going to wreck weeks of paying better attention.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    So, my boyfriend's family want to take me and him to dinner because I babysat one of their grandkids. And they won't stop asking and being presistent, so I have to get it over with. And they've chosen to take us to Black Angus. A holy grail of sodium.

So, I already know that they're going to have a coupon for BA's "Campfire Feast for 2" thing, which includes an appetizer, 2 entrees, and a dessert, and expect my boyfriend and I to share it. But holy cow, their menu is just full of sodium and fat. I skipped lunch today because I wasn't feeling too great from some leftover seafood I had, so I have a lot of calories and such left, but BA's food just seems really unhealthy.

BF loves their Sampler app, which comes with shrimp w/ cocktail sauce, fried zucchini, buffalo chicken tenders, and potato skins. I'll eat the shrimp, but everything else just seems super unhealthy. For the entrees, I have a choice of a bunch of steaks, King Salmon, or 2 grilled chicken breasts (which I'll only eat one of). The chicken has double the sodium of the fish, but I don't think I can eat more seafood today x.x

The entree comes with 2 sides, all of which are terrible for you. The vegetables are broccoli w/ parmesan, green beans w/ bacon, or salad. Or some baked potatoes.

Then there's dessert, and the lowest cal one (other than a root beer float, I don't drink soda) is a "big mountain chocolate fudge cake". Sounds like death.

Any tips? :( Sorry for the super long post.

either just eat it and enjoy and remember that one bad meal won't ruin all your progress or ask the cook to modify some things for you. ie...skip the cheese on the veggies, don't eat the app and stick to water. either you have the will power or you don't. but one meal won't kill you.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless a nice night out is going to send you spiralling back down the path of over eating, try and enjoy yourself!
    We're all meant to be making lifestyle changes here and that generally still means eating out on occasion.
    The sodium isn't going to kill you, just go hard with water over the next few days and stay away from the scale for a day or two, if you weight daily.
    Remember you don't have to eat everything served/available to you. 'Fill' yourself up on the main meal and then just excuse yourself from desert.

I think you're really over thinking this and making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Quick reply before you leave to go out! Eat a little of each, do lots & lots of talking, drink lots & lots of water, your bf certainly will be digging into the food as you're talking. Bathroom visits due to drinking all that water, lol If someone notices you're not eating much, tell them you had left over seafood earlier & it didn't sit well with you. Have Fun & I hope all goes well for you. Enjoy! :happy:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's one meal.. not the end of the world.

Plus it's free.

Eat, enjoy and start over tomorrow.. you'll survive. I promise.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    How about you just focus on enjoying the meal and the experience, instead of agonising over the calories ? Sure, you can be mindful and ensure you get some decent protein and a good portion of vegetables, but seriously, unless you plan on making this a weekly event, one high calorie meal is not going to impact the grand scheme of things. Be glad you get the chance to be taken out for a nice meal.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know it's only one meal, but it's just frustrating when I'm trying to eat healthy and I get dragged to somewhere completely unhealthy. I do make sure to treat myself every so often, but it's usually not with such a bad-for-me meal! I guess I should just eat it and enjoy it, and know that tomorrow will be a healthier day :)

I just don't want to have all that food sitting in front of me and eat everything in sight ._.
  • beatlebomb
    Options
    veggies and meat and lots of water. Have fun and enjoy. If they insist you have desert tell them you are alergic to wheat or can't eat sugar or something.... that way no pressure. You can do it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just say no and pick something healthy. I don't agree with the 'it's only one meal' thing. You should never feel forced to eat something you don't want to eat. And talk to your boyfriend and ask him to support you...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Three Words:
    TO GO BOX.

Don't feel obligated to eat everything just because it's in front of you.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much, it's just one meal. That said, none of the sides you mentioned sound all that bad. Eat slowly and stop when you're full. Take half your meal home with you and have it for dinner (or two lunches) later in the week.
  • bobbyunangst
    Options
    I just enjoyed a night out to dinner with family. We went to Olive Garden. Soup, entree, bread sticks and dessert. I have a total of 1350 calories a day. Did I go over my points? Yeah a little but we had a great night out and I won't be killing myself over it tomorrow.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Looking at the nutrition info online, I would get the shrimp appetizer (150 calories, or eat the shrimp from the combo, since it probably won't be a full portion it'll be even fewer cals), a filet mignon (320), plain baked potato (230), broccoli (140). You'd be at 840 or less for the meal before dessert. Just have a few bites of whatever dessert the two of you like, and you'll probably get out of there for 1000 calories or so. That's not terrible for a restaurant meal.

If you're not under a doctor's orders to keep sodium low, I wouldn't worry about one meal's worth. You might bloat up a little with extra water weight, but it'll be gone in a day or so.

And I sure as heck wouldn't go to a steak house and get chicken!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    So ask that the broccoli be steamed with no cheese or butter. Easy peasy. Or get a baked potato with just sour cream. You can also get the sirloin, which is lower in fat and calories if you don't want fish.

You don't have to eat the appetizers.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Looking at the nutrition info online,
    This right here is the trick to eating out. Look at the nutritional info online and decide what you are going to eat before you leave the house, you are much less likely to make a regrettable decision if you plan ahead (and stick to the plan).
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it all at once. They give you so much food, that I can usually get at least 2 more meals out of it by bringing home the leftovers.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Looking at the nutrition info online, I would get the shrimp appetizer (150 calories, or eat the shrimp from the combo, since it probably won't be a full portion it'll be even fewer cals), a filet mignon (320), plain baked potato (230), broccoli (140). You'd be at 840 or less for the meal before dessert. Just have a few bites of whatever dessert the two of you like, and you'll probably get out of there for 1000 calories or so. That's not terrible for a restaurant meal.

If you're not under a doctor's orders to keep sodium low, I wouldn't worry about one meal's worth. You might bloat up a little with extra water weight, but it'll be gone in a day or so.

And I sure as heck wouldn't go to a steak house and get chicken!

I don't really like steak, so I don't eat it very often :) I'm not too into red meat.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Looking at the nutrition info online,
    This right here is the trick to eating out. Look at the nutritional info online and decide what you are going to eat before you leave the house, you are much less likely to make a regrettable decision if you plan ahead (and stick to the plan).

I'm looking at the info online right now, and nothing really looks ideal. That's the problem. But thank you for the tip :)