• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    eating out is best if you relax.
    QFT
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I just dealt with this yesterday, knowing ahead of time we would be going out. I knew I would be missing my evening workout on top of it. So, I did 2 workout videos in the morning, instead of one, ate salad for lunch and walked on my break. Ate only 1/2 of my dinner, took the rest home for today's dinner. I still enjoyed an app, and an entree, we did not go for dessert. Drink lots of water. Work out harder tomorrow to make up for it:)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't really like steak, so I don't eat it very often :) I'm not too into red meat.
    Do they know this? If so, it's odd they'd want to treat you to a meal at a steak house. If not, maybe it's time to let them know?
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the meal. If you really insist on trying to lighten things up, ask them if they'll just do steamed broccoli instead of cheesy broccoli. Ask for the green beans the same way. A lot of stuff is probably pre-made, but they may be able to leave out the butter/cheese and what not.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the shrimp cocktail (or skip the apps altogether if you have enough will power). Order whichever protein you like, don't sweat it's sodium content, with the salad with dressing on the side of the oil and vinegar variety, or get the broccoli steamed with no cheese. As for the dessert, enjoy it. The sodium will buffer out with the consumption of water (lots of water), and as always, eat when you're hungry, stop when your full. This will avoid over-eating. Truthfully, the menu doesn't sound too bad, and it sounds like you can get a nice amount of protein with your meal. So just have fun with it. They're treating you, it seems like a nice family thing to do. Good Luck!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This may not help you, but this is what I would tell myself.

Don't sweat it. For this night, enjoy the company of family and eat what sounds good--having nothing to do what you think or know the overall health/fat/sodium values to be. Have some chicken and a little chocolate. One night of sensible tastey--albeit perhaps less than optimally healthy--choices is not going to wreck weeks of paying better attention.
    qft
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't really like steak, so I don't eat it very often :) I'm not too into red meat.
    Do they know this? If so, it's odd they'd want to treat you to a meal at a steak house. If not, maybe it's time to let them know?

They know. And they know I'll just get the chicken or the fish.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If your in-laws are buying, show your appreciation by not being picky. It's just good manners. Go along with what they want and enjoy it. Say you're full and take some home. Thank them.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I would stick with the shrimp cocktail (or skip the apps altogether if you have enough will power). Order whichever protein you like, don't sweat it's sodium content, with the salad with dressing on the side of the oil and vinegar variety, or get the broccoli steamed with no cheese. As for the dessert, enjoy it. The sodium will buffer out with the consumption of water (lots of water), and as always, eat when you're hungry, stop when your full. This will avoid over-eating. Truthfully, the menu doesn't sound too bad, and it sounds like you can get a nice amount of protein with your meal. So just have fun with it. They're treating you, it seems like a nice family thing to do. Good Luck!

I'll probably end up getting the plain baked potato and green beans, or the broccoli and green beans. I'm not really in the mood for salad tonight. I'll just make sure to savor it since it'll be awhile until I treat myself this largely again :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,013 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would invite me to Black Angus tonight.:sad:

Order the lowest cal options, let BF eat more than his fair share, take leftovers home, and skip dessert (but try asking for fresh fruit or a scoop of ice cream if you want it)

Have a nice evening, eating out is part of life, so learning how to deal with it is part of any lifestyle change. :drinker:
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    If your in-laws are buying, show your appreciation by not being picky. It's just good manners. Go along with what they want and enjoy it. Say you're full and take some home. Thank them.

I'm always polite to them. I've tried to tell them they don't need to repay me for babysitting, because I know they'll just pick somewhere unhealthy regardless of the fact that their son and I are trying to eat healthy, but they're persistent. So, I have to go.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I wish someone would invite me to Black Angus tonight.:sad:

Order the lowest cal options, let BF eat more than his fair share, take leftovers home, and skip dessert (but try asking for fresh fruit or a scoop of ice cream if you want it)

Have a nice evening, eating out is part of life, so learning how to deal with it is part of any lifestyle change. :drinker:

You can take my place ;)

Yeah, I'll try sticking with chicken, shrimp, and veggies. Maybe eat a slice of fried zucchini, since I used to love that stuff :) I just wish that eating out didn't automatically mean unhealthy.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Google black angus nutrition. Check out which are the best choices
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it!!! Make this your cheat meal night. I have one every friday for ONE meal and it actually seems to help my weight loss. Enjoy yourself just don't go insane lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Just enjoy this one night or work on balancing out the week. One day/night isn't going to derail you and push your progress back. No one got fat in a day.