Options
2»

Replies

• Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    girls squatting wouldwife/10

This.

But only if they go down to parallel and use a barbell (or are doing goblet squats)
    Why stop half-way???
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Why not try doing weighted squats? They're fantastic!

what kind of weights? like hand weights or does it have to be a barbel at the gym?

Bodyweight squats--GOOD
    Dumbbell squats--BETTER
    Barbell squats--BEST

I've just recently started free-squatting with a bar because my gym just got a squat rack (finally!) and in 3 months I've gone from squatting 70 lbs to 185 lbs for 6 reps. You can get strong really quickly with squats, and there's nothing better for your legs...

Oh and I don't think crunches are pointless either. I spend 10 min 3x a week doing a variety of crunches and other ab work. I haven't done a plank in 20 years and don't plan on starting back....(planks are good though, I just hate them--I don't want to be accused of "plank-bashing") ;p
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Abs are just another muscle group. I personally work them as such. I only have 1-2 Ab days and honestly I only do straight-leg lifts and crunches just enough to get my upper back off the floor. I do leg lifts to failure then immediately go to crunches till failure x3. Occasionally I'll do a Power 90 Ab Ripper 100 session just to hit all of the core ab groups. Abs are all about BF%. The lower your BF% the better your abs look... PERIOD! Exercising your abs builds strength in your core.

Squats: ALL about correct form. Like others have said, start with no weights and get your form perfect. Then add the barbell and weight. Squats hit so many muscle groups all at once it truly is one of the best exercises ever. Also ladies, you want that round, toned bottom? SQUAT HEAVY!

Dead Lifts: Again a great complex movement targeting several muscle groups. BUT... GET YOUR FORM PERFECT or you risk screwing up our back and then you are hosed for a very long time. I personally added Romanian (straight-leg) deads with dumbbells. Hit's the lower back and really stretches out the hams. I've become much more flexible doing them.

No matter what you do, FORM IS EVERYTHING. Better to go a little lighter and have perfect form than try and 'bro' out massive weight. You will see better results with correct form. Quality over quantity.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Why stop half-way???

Full ROM squats with very heavy weight is a risk of injury. If you are going light then a few ROM sets can be great. I can't imaging trying to ROM 200lbs. LOL.

If you have a bad back try box squats.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    squats and planks

squats - 5-8 reps to failure

planks - keep going until failure
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    Why stop half-way???

Full ROM squats with very heavy weight is a risk of injury. If you are going light then a few ROM sets can be great. I can't imaging trying to ROM 200lbs. LOL.
    Agreed. But wanting the full benefits of squating, instead of mainly targetting the quats, you should go full ROM. The weight you put on is secondary.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do weighted squats as part of my lifting routine. I do with 40lbs (2 20lb dumbbells). 5 reps, 3 sets. Love it.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Right now I am only doing body squats, but I have used to, and will soon, do them with the bar.
    I do crunches, reverse crunches, bicycles.
    I do planks- many. Until I puke.

Everything has a place, depending on what you want.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Squats - if done w/weight and at or below parallel are one of the best exercises you can do.

I recently read an article in a magazine (Fitness RX I think?) about EMG studies and the ab crunch is one of the top exercises for ab activation. Traditional floor crunches don't do much but when you add weight, cables, decline bench and/or a stability ball it really fires the ab muscles as good if not better than any other exercise for the abs.