Gear Question for serious runners? Nike + GPS or Garmin?

Options
I wear Nike shoes and use my nike plus with my phone but i would like to not have to bring my phone on every run which is why i am looking at the nike plus its cheaper than the garmin... but i want some opinions on people who own them

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my phone. Never used a Garmin, but people love them. I did, however, get in to the Kickstart for a new product called Bia. It should be released late summer this year. I think I'll like it (and am hoping to be selected to beta test it).

Check it out: http://www.bia-sport.com/
  • crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had one of the Nike GPS watches back when they first came out (which was maybe summer of 2011?) So take my experience with a grain of salt, as they may have fixed the bugs present in the first generation watch since then...my nike watch worked great for about a month, I absolutely loved it. Love how simple it was to use, loved how it looked, loved that it was Nike (Nike fan girl here) but like I said, after about four weeks the watch quit being recognized by my computer, so there was no way to upload or save any of my data, which was one reason I wanted the watch. Apparently, lots of people had this problem, there were forums and facebook groups all dedicated to the issue. Nike was very slow in figuring out what the problem was and getting us a fix. I eventually ended up returning the watch for a refund after waiting about 4 months for a fix. That was the nice thing, I bought directly from Nike and they didn't give me any problems at all when returning the watch, even though it was after the 3 month warranty.

Anyway, point of story, I would google and see if this issue is still a problem for people with the Nike gps watch. It's been a few years, so they may have fixed it.

I have also owned a Garmin (the old school computer on the wrist looking one) which I loved. My mom currently uses a garmin (the touch swivel model) which she hates. I currently have a Timex Run Trainer, which I do really like, except I just had to send it in to get repaired (the battery would no longer charge).

Moral of the story? I think they all have issues, like most electronic gadgets do. I would go with a price you are comfortable with that offers the features you want, and a company that has a good customer service reputation :)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin FR70 but will use it in conjunction with my running apps. The FR70 doesn't have GPS. I like the Garmin's algorithm for calculating calories.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin that has a shoe pod that tracks distance/pace/speed etc. I havent used it recently, but I loved using it. It also comes with HRM and chest strap to calculate calories burned. I LOVE it!
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is no help at all...but I use Nike+ on my phone and love it! My husband bought me an arm band that can fit the iphone with the case on it, so I don't have to take it in and out of the case.
    Anyway, a friend of mine LOVES FitBit, but I'm still all about using my phone. Have you tried the NikeTrainingClub app? I downloaded it and haven't used it yet?
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 610. It basically tracks everything distance, pace, avg. pace, elevation etc. etc. It also uploads all the info from your run to their website so you can view and compare runs. Haven't had any problems with it and i've been using it for almost a year. It works very well in wet conditions. Prior to owning the 610 i had a 405cx, it was a good unit except i did have issues with the bezel control on rain days. If you go Garmin I don't think you'd ever regret it.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the Nike app, because I have not used it, but I LOVE my Garmin. It is my biggest cheerleader! Here is just some of the info it gives you. This is from a run I did Saturday. It also gives you a map view of your run that can be changed to satellite view, too. It shows you graphs of elevation and heart rate. It is awesome! I also have the device on my bike that can be used in conjuction with the watch to track that info. Mine is the Garmin Forerunner 405. I have certainly gotten my money's worth from my Garmin.

Distance: 10.01 mi
    Time: 1:34:43
    Avg Pace: 9:28 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 6.3 mph
    Elevation Gain: 577 ft
    Calories: 965 C

Details

Timing
    Time: 1:34:43
    Moving Time: 1:34:17
    Elapsed Time: 1:34:44
    Avg Speed: 6.3 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 6.4 mph
    Max Speed: 8.4 mph
    Avg Pace: 9:28 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 9:25 min/mi
    Best Pace: 7:08 min/mi
    SpeedPace

Elevation
    Elevation Gain: 577 ft
    Elevation Loss: 583 ft
    Min Elevation: 229 ft
    Max Elevation: 421 ft

Heart Rate
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Max HR: 170 bpm
    Avg HR: 86 % of Max
    Max HR: 92 % of Max
    Avg HR: 4.7 z
    Max HR: 5.2 z

What is Training Effect?Have you ever wondered what good your workout is doing? Training Effect measures the impact of exercise on your aerobic fitness. Using your heart rate, Training Effect tells you if the exercise you do is maintaining your current fitness level or improving it. With that information, you can vary your intensity to achieve your goals.
    Training Effect is for all aerobic sports, all equipment and all healthy individuals.
    Training Effect Scale
    5.0 – Overreaching
    4.0 – Highly Improving
    3.0 – Improving
    2.0 – Maintaining
    1.0 – Minor
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    had nike+, it worked for me but then had my phone upgraded....yhey so am able to use gps which is loads better....saying that, if i could i would go for garmin:smile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike shoes and use my nike plus with my phone but i would like to not have to bring my phone on every run which is why i am looking at the nike plus its cheaper than the garmin... but i want some opinions on people who own them

Found the Nike could be erratic on distance and sometimes was out by as much as 10% depending on the type of workout I was doing. It keeps track in general and provides decent feedback.

As a more serious runner I moved into a Garmin which provides more accurate readings but less verbal feedback.

I guess the big question for you is how serious do you want to be?
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin watch with GPS
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin gps watch (the Forerunner 10) and really love it. It was only $130, so for me, reasonably priced.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use both. Garmin watch for when I can't use my phone (Tough Mudder, rainy days, etc.) and then I use the app MapMyRun on my phone as well. MapMyRun allows you to upload Garmin data as well, so you can keep it all in one place! I'm not sure if Nike+ will allow you to upload your Garmin data on their website, but you might take a look at it.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Garmin 405 and loved it, but the battery died and it's not user replaceable and the cost to get it replaced didn't make sense since my wife had an earlier Garmin and phone GPS systems were working just fine. That being said, I am slowing putting my toes back in to the market for a new watch so that I can better pace myself when running.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'll be the lone Nke+ Sportwatch fan. I love mine...no issues.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest the Nike is not even close to being on the same level as the Garmin. If you can afford the Garmin, then hands down that's what you should get. Nikes charge a lot for the brand but for what you actually get they're not comparable to other stuff in the same price bracket. Garmin and Suunto are the Rolls-Royce of HRMs/fitness monitors.
  • GBOGH_5
    Options
    I should also add that I advise running with your phone anyway if possible, especially if you are running alone. I run at 5am when it is still dark and have taken 2 spills. I've never been seriously hurt, but not having a phone to call for help is not advisable.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Found the Nike could be erratic on distance and sometimes was out by as much as 10% depending on the type of workout I was doing. It keeps track in general and provides decent feedback.

As a more serious runner I moved into a Garmin which provides more accurate readings but less verbal feedback.

I guess the big question for you is how serious do you want to be?

I am a long distance runner so accuracy is important to me. when training for a marathon last june i used the nike plus with my phone and i have a seperate watch for my HR. I am looking to combine gps and HRM together. The nike plus always said less distance than what it actually was but apparently the GPS in their watch is pretty good.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I use the Endomondo app on my phone with a Zephyr heart rate monitor. Keeps all of my data in one spot and seems to be very accurate. Can also use it when doing other cardio (i.e. treadmill) when GPS will not work and keep track of calories burned.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I advise running with your phone anyway if possible, especially if you are running alone. I run at 5am when it is still dark and have taken 2 spills. I've never been seriously hurt, but not having a phone to call for help is not advisable.

My husband is very into this with me he hates when i run trails without it. The main reason i want the watch is quite funny actually. I just purchased a shuffle for when i run 5k's so i dont have to take my phone which i carry in my fuel belt because i always get funny looks for wearing my fuelbelt to a 5k lol. But i still want to keep track of my runs when i do short runs too. I plan on doing at least a dozen 5k's this summer since i had no time to train for another marathon with getting over my torn meniscus
  • GBOGH_5
    Options

My husband is very into this with me he hates when i run trails without it. The main reason i want the watch is quite funny actually. I just purchased a shuffle for when i run 5k's so i dont have to take my phone which i carry in my fuel belt because i always get funny looks for wearing my fuelbelt to a 5k lol. But i still want to keep track of my runs when i do short runs too. I plan on doing at least a dozen 5k's this summer since i had no time to train for another marathon with getting over my torn meniscus

Definitely think that is a perfectly good reason for the watch. I run with a local group on Saturday mornings and never take my phone because I am surrounded by 10-15 people at all times. But anytime I run alone, I take my phone. I've even put it in a ziploc baggie when it was drizzling one morning and didn't use the ipod on it. Just wanted to make sure I had it in case of an emergency.