Easter survival strategy

Options
Hey,

Is anyone else feeling the urge to splurge - everywhere I go there seems to be chocolate already.

Do you have a plan on making sure that you stay on track and avoid the temptations?

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My splurge will be less the candy and more the mounds of food (and maybe a slice of angel food cake). I don't plan on eating until I can't move like I have in years and holidays past. I think for the most part that's my plan.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I specifically asked my wife to buy me only one Easter treat for me this year: the traditional box of peeps. That should keep me on target.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foodz !!!!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I too asked for only a little chocolate from the bunny. I don't have self control when there is stuff I love around.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a goodie bag. Put in it however much candy you want to eat, what ever mixture. So drop one candy bunny (smaller one, not the 20 pound chocolate one), a few chocolate eggs, some jelly beans and then that is it. That is all the candy you get on Easter. Or...make yourself some healthier Easter cupcakes (they are out there, just search for the recipes).

Holidays don't happen every day, and it is okay to spoil yourself in a moderate way on those days.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Ate my favorite thing out of the Easter basket sent to me, left the rest at my boyfriends house. He joked that I'm sabotaging him with jelly beans :P
  • Newflabuless
    Newflabuless Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We always have a big Easter breakfast at church that has everything from traditional breakfast food to sweets, fruits and everything in between. My plan is to take only small portions of the foods I really want and not go back for seconds. We have a family dinner that afternoon and again I plan to watch my portion sizes and hopefully get in a nice walk since the weather is supposed to be decent for a change.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Planning on skipping the chocolate if I can, anything I do get am likely to take to work and dish out, I don't need it and if the guys at work want it they can have it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday. How many times a year is there a holiday that really tempts you? My advice is to pick some things you really like and enjoy them without tripling your calorie intake
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've been craving Cadbury eggs, but that's about it!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Easter isn't one of the holidays that is really tempting to me. The only things that are really calling my name are Cadbury Eggs, so the day before Easter I usually buy a couple of boxes and eat them gradually over the next couple of weeks.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nothing is really jumping out at me. Ham sounds good. I never cook it so it is a treat to me.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have to go to In-Laws for Easter meal. There's always all kinds of yummy food there, but especially the home made kielbasa. Mmmmmmmm kielbasa...

I plan to keep the portions small and the trips to the food to 1 maybe 1 and a half. ;-) and then go for a long walk. (supposed to be sunny and moderate here for the first time in a long time.)

Good luck!
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday. How many times a year is there a holiday that really tempts you? My advice is to pick some things you really like and enjoy them without tripling your calorie intake

That's what I want to do and then plan something in for each day literally until I get bored of it or change my mind. It's worked so far.

Hubby isn't having any of it though :( I might just get stubborn on this one - silly him anyway for thinking that you can ever deny anyone chocolate, pft
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The only thing I get excited about is ham. Except this year. I'm not really getting so excited about ham.

Wow. I think I just bummed myself out. :frown:
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I go through phases - sometimes I am fine with having the stuff about, then if it hasn't appeared in a while and I haven't asked for it to be 'mine for later' from the cupboards then I do nothing but want more - so selfish! Sorry I am cringing writing this but it is unfortunately true :noway:
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I been pretty good at staying away from he candy...so I plan to just eat easter dinner and use portion control. I don't want to eat till I throw up.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I LOVE those Reese PB Eggs but have resisted them so far this year. I may ask for one (not the pack of 4 like I used to eat) to satisfy my craving. I am cooking a turkey dinner on Sunday so I am in charge or what we all eat. Wont be crazy high fat foods. Then making turkey soup from the leftovers on Monday!! Yummmmmm!!!!!! :tongue:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm good 95% of the time, so holidays are a no-diet zone for me. I love deviled eggs and plan to demolish (er, eat) them on Easter! Oh, and the honey baked ham.....and chalah bread....YUM.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My strategy can be broken down to two words. PORTION CONTROL.

I'm not a big candy craver anymore since I pretty much cut it out of my life last Septemeber due to my inability to use self control with it, so that's not a big factor. All the yummy dinner type items I'm going to enjoy in moderation.

I am not on MFP because three or four holidays a year I tend to over do it. I'm here because I over do it every freakin' day! LOL