My Sabotaging Protein Shakes

Options
I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting. Recently, I started incorporating lifting within my workout, and have become serious to the point of doing it 4-5x a week (alternating parts).

After my workouts, I purchased protein drinks already in a bottle, around 110 calories each. I figured it was a win/win because I'm repairing my muscles and staying true to low carb.

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

I tested her suggestion and for the past few days left the protein shake. I added a happy balance of carbs and protein with my veggies and saw a drop of a half of a pound! After my workout yesterday, I purchased a small carton of chocolate milk - as suggested by my nutritionist. Yes, it's 130 calories and less in quantity than my protein drink, but it's leaner and it does the trick to repair my muscles.

Now if you're a protein drinker and it works for you, I say go with it! I wanted to be like that. But for me, it didn't work. So for those who are puzzled and aren't sure what to revamp, I'm suggesting what I have learned. If it benefits you, awesome! If not, perhaps it might get the ball running for you :)

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

If your nutritionist told you this, get a new nutritionist
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

yes
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Yep... that makes no sense at all....!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can't "bulk" while eating in a calorie deficit. A bulk is gaining muscle (and fat) while eating at a surplus of calories so your body has the building blocks to create the muscle.

Your nutritionist makes no sense.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting.

Try excess calories. That's really the only thing that will make you gain weight. Science n stuff! Yo!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting.

Try excess calories. That's really the only thing that will make you gain weight. Science n stuff! Yo!

Science, FTW!!!! :wink:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not just intolerant to one of the ingredients of the shakes you were using?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    what they said ^^^^ \m/
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Really, why? I get as much protein as I can with my "food" and if I fall short for the day sometimes I will have a protein shake just to narrow the gap. I do weights M, W & F but I'm just starting out. I do notice on the day's I get closer to my protein macro I feel better which is a good thing but I want to see weight loss too. Thanks for your input
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    Some protien shakes have TONS of Sugar!!! The premixed are the worst.. Try Visalus or GNC Lean, I love them both..
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I understand completely!! I'm doing the same thing as you were, and having the same problem!!!!!! Not sure about the validity of your nutritionist statement, but it makes sense for 'me'. I think I'll try the chocolate milk for a few weeks. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for sharing the information!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think that bodies can only use a certain amount of protein at a time and consuming more than that does no good, and can be bad. A while ago while doing a brief internet search I found some source that said your body can only use about 30 grams of protein at once. The rest of the protein you consume will be broken down into sugars, then if your body doesn't use the sugar it gets stored as fat. Sorry I can't locate my sources, but a simple internet search will bring up all of this type of discussion...and if you think about it it makes total sense. And maybe it's a reason that a lot of people who lift weights are not necessarily lean, as in have low BF%. I see a lot of very muscular, fatty men at my gym.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I am not a protein shake drinker, but nothing the OP has said is convincing me.

A loss of .5 lb is within the margin of error for a regular household scale, weighing a woman of childbearing age. Even a loss of 2 lb or more is consistent with water weight fluctuations.

And my understanding is that the body has a hard time converting protein into fat, and if you really are eating at a caloric deficit, it is damn near impossible to gain fat from protein shakes alone.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist is incorrect. If you are eating at a deficit, you can not create something out of nothing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think that bodies can only use a certain amount of protein at a time and consuming more than that does no good, and can be bad. A while ago while doing a brief internet search I found some source that said your body can only use about 30 grams of protein at once. The rest of the protein you consume will be broken down into sugars, then if your body doesn't use the sugar it gets stored as fat. Sorry I can't locate my sources, but a simple internet search will bring up all of this type of discussion...and if you think about it it makes total sense. And maybe it's a reason that a lot of people who lift weights are not necessarily lean, as in have low BF%. I see a lot of very muscular, fatty men at my gym.

Sorry but this is incorrect.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Not true!

http://dynamicduotraining.com/wordpress/15-nutrition-myths-you-want-to-knowallow-the-experts-to-tell/
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    I think you have been fed some bogus lies here... Firstly, in order to 'bulk' you need to eat well and lift big... So unless you are eating in excess of your daily calorie needs and lifting big, you will not bulk!

Protein has a number of benefits which are probably too long to list but apart from the obvious in that it helps to repair and build muscle etc it also has the highest thermogenic effect of any macronutrient meaning your body burns more calories and in addition it helps with satiety, which is a good thing if you are on a calorie restricted diet.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You aren't "bulking" on a measly 110 calorie protein shake. Secondly, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by restricting both carbs and fats. Any dietician who tells you carbs and fats make you gain fat needs not be visited again. You may be intolerant to an ingredient which caused the bloating and artificial weight gain. Additionally, you mentioned you increased workout volume. Lastly, you provide no information on sodium or stress levels. All of these can result in temporary gains in weight.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

A simple internet search is full of bull****. Proteins breaking down into sugars? The internet is bad at chemistry.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Did your nutritionist come out of the 70s?