My Sabotaging Protein Shakes

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting. Recently, I started incorporating lifting within my workout, and have become serious to the point of doing it 4-5x a week (alternating parts).

After my workouts, I purchased protein drinks already in a bottle, around 110 calories each. I figured it was a win/win because I'm repairing my muscles and staying true to low carb.

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

I tested her suggestion and for the past few days left the protein shake. I added a happy balance of carbs and protein with my veggies and saw a drop of a half of a pound! After my workout yesterday, I purchased a small carton of chocolate milk - as suggested by my nutritionist. Yes, it's 130 calories and less in quantity than my protein drink, but it's leaner and it does the trick to repair my muscles.

Now if you're a protein drinker and it works for you, I say go with it! I wanted to be like that. But for me, it didn't work. So for those who are puzzled and aren't sure what to revamp, I'm suggesting what I have learned. If it benefits you, awesome! If not, perhaps it might get the ball running for you :)

Good luck everyone!

FYI, "nutritionist" is a meaningless term. There's no certification or standardization or education required to use that term. It's not regulated. "Dietitian" requires a degree and certification.

Your nutritionist is an absolute quack and has no idea what he or she is talking about. He's literally completely wrong and giving you bad advice that is 100% counter to reality.

Never go to this nutritionist again.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I think that bodies can only use a certain amount of protein at a time and consuming more than that does no good, and can be bad. A while ago while doing a brief internet search I found some source that said your body can only use about 30 grams of protein at once. The rest of the protein you consume will be broken down into sugars, then if your body doesn't use the sugar it gets stored as fat. Sorry I can't locate my sources, but a simple internet search will bring up all of this type of discussion...and if you think about it it makes total sense. And maybe it's a reason that a lot of people who lift weights are not necessarily lean, as in have low BF%. I see a lot of very muscular, fatty men at my gym.
    A simple peer-review journal search would disprove otherwise. These elderly women were scarfing down, absorbing and utilizing far greater than 30 grams in their pulse feeding meal.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/6/1202.long#T3
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yep, excess protein will cause weight gain. I read if you are trying to build muscle for bodybuilding and whatnot you are supposed to get your body weight in protein along with quite a bit of lifting. But unless thats not the case you just need about half your body weight in protein for some pretty standard muscle gain.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yep, excess protein will cause weight gain. I read if you are trying to build muscle for bodybuilding and whatnot you are supposed to get your body weight in protein. But unless thats not the case you just need about half your body weight in protein for some pretty standard muscle gain.

Excess calories cause weight gain not excess protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not just intolerant to one of the ingredients of the shakes you were using?

This seems quite likely
  • kandienicole
    Options
    If you are weight training, do not step on the scale more than twice a month. You will gain muscle and lose fat...thus not much change on the scale. Instead, try using a pair of non stretch jeans or pants and use a measuring tape. I have added weights as well as low sugar protein shakes and have had amazing success. The key is creating a calorie deficit while still feeding your muscles! I agree with the others...get a new nutritionist!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yep, excess protein will cause weight gain. I read if you are trying to build muscle for bodybuilding and whatnot you are supposed to get your body weight in protein. But unless thats not the case you just need about half your body weight in protein for some pretty standard muscle gain.

True. But usually anything in excess isn't good.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

True. But usually anything in excess isn't good.

I posted a link in this thread a few posts above yours. The body will still use the protein. Take a look at what some of the experts are saying about that topic.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think that bodies can only use a certain amount of protein at a time and consuming more than that does no good, and can be bad. A while ago while doing a brief internet search I found some source that said your body can only use about 30 grams of protein at once. The rest of the protein you consume will be broken down into sugars, then if your body doesn't use the sugar it gets stored as fat. Sorry I can't locate my sources, but a simple internet search will bring up all of this type of discussion...and if you think about it it makes total sense. And maybe it's a reason that a lot of people who lift weights are not necessarily lean, as in have low BF%. I see a lot of very muscular, fatty men at my gym.

I genuinely wonder how the human race has survived so long with our bodies being so fragile and all.

So I guess we must have hunted bison, taken a couple of bites and then had to wait a few more hours and hunt another one?

Or maybe all cavemen were fat . . . ?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

If your nutritionist told you this, get a new nutritionist

Why? Are you one?

You don't know anything about her medical back ground or what is going on with her body. For someone like me who has PCOS causing them to be insulin resistant, I have to watch carbs and other things.

Everyone has a different body and they have different things going on with them. So maybe what her nutritionist told her is right for HER.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can)

:cry:

:grumble:
  • kandienicole
    Options
    Exactly. The problem, in general, is lack of activity and excess calories, plain and simple, not your protein shake. If you added a protein shake and did not cut calories from somewhere else in your diet, then it is no wonder you did not see a change. A simple look at all the women who use protein shakes along with a balanced diet and a regime of weights and cardio tailored to their needs will give you all the proof you need.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Why? Are you one?

You don't know anything about her medical back ground or what is going on with her body. For someone like me who has PCOS causing them to be insulin resistant, I have to watch carbs and other things.

Everyone has a different body and they have different things going on with them. So maybe what her nutritionist told her is right for HER.

Then she should state any medical issues in initial post. You're assuming just as much as the rest of us.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Why? Are you one?

But then she shouldn't be posting that tailor made advice on here saying it applies to everyone. I wouldn't post that everyone shouldn't eat nuts because they'll kill you, just because I'm allergic to them.

Excess calories make you fat not an excess of one macro.

I love my protein shake after my weights workout and aim for 30% of my cals from it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Why? Are you one?

snow_zpscc20e5ac.jpg
  • kandienicole
    Options

Why? Are you one?

But then she shouldn't be posting that tailor made advice on here saying it applies to everyone. I wouldn't post that everyone should eat nuts because they'll kill you, just because I'm allergic to them.

Excess calories make you fat not an excess of one macro.

I love my protein shake after my weights workout and aim for 30% of my cals from it.
    . Agreed!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Why? Are you one?

Medical background?

Nutritionists have no medical training, can't diagnose illnesses or disorders, and have no idea about anything medical. Nutritionist is an unregulated term. I could hang a sign on my door right now and suddenly be a "nutritionist."

It would be a doctor or a dietitian diagnosing that sort of thing, not a nutritionist.

BTW, if you could name any disorder where protein intake causes significant weight gain while on a calorie deficit I'll eat my hat.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting. Recently, I started incorporating lifting within my workout, and have become serious to the point of doing it 4-5x a week (alternating parts).

After my workouts, I purchased protein drinks already in a bottle, around 110 calories each. I figured it was a win/win because I'm repairing my muscles and staying true to low carb.

I tested her suggestion and for the past few days left the protein shake. I added a happy balance of carbs and protein with my veggies and saw a drop of a half of a pound! After my workout yesterday, I purchased a small carton of chocolate milk - as suggested by my nutritionist. Yes, it's 130 calories and less in quantity than my protein drink, but it's leaner and it does the trick to repair my muscles.

Now if you're a protein drinker and it works for you, I say go with it! I wanted to be like that. But for me, it didn't work. So for those who are puzzled and aren't sure what to revamp, I'm suggesting what I have learned. If it benefits you, awesome! If not, perhaps it might get the ball running for you :)

Good luck everyone!

You dropped your cals by 110 cals a day and you lost 0.5lbs a week. Sounds about right.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Agree with the main point here...

Excess Protein WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT
    Excess Fat, WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT
    Excess Carbs WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT

Excess Calories WILL MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT! Simple!

Of course, I will state that if someone added more protein, and DID NOT adjust the other Macro's, then yes, it will cause a gain in weight, but, suprise suprise, that's more down to the fact in this case that Excess Calories have ben consumed.
    If, on the other hand, Macro's WERE adjusted accordingly, and Calories were still in a deficit, then weight will be lost.....

Oh, and not to mention, 1lb of Muscle burn around 5 times the calories per day, than 1lb of fat does, thus increasing BMR (How many calories the human body burns at rest) etc etc

And has also been stated, most women who are able to "Bulk" as you said, train heavy in the gym, have a diet that is spot on, supplement as needed, and most importantly, eat in a Calorie Excess!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Why? Are you one?

I have PCOS too. I eat upwards of 130 g of protein a day. I've lost A LOT of inches doing exactly that. Your point about IR is correct, we do have to watch carbs, however that doesn't make the OP's argument any more valid.

We are not snowflakes.