A dog you can trust or a dog that will kill?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
Yesterday in the newspaper in the UK was an article about a 14 yo girl that was killed by 4 dogs (although there were 5 dogs in this small house.

The dogs that killed the girl were 2 staffies and 2 bull mastiffs. The 5th dog was in another room. the police shot the 4 dogs that mauled the poor girl.

Here is a link to the secondary article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300234/Jade-Lomas-Anderson-death-Jobless-single-mum-Bev-Concannon-dogs-mauled-girl-goes-hiding.html

On the radio there was a debate from 2 respected people in the `dog world` one of these people said that staffies are classed as `nursing dogs` and are recommended for people with small children?

Also during the debate was the fact that it had never been recorded that a poodle had bitten or attacked a child?

I have a little toy `teddy bear` poodle who is the sweetest thing but I am sure some of you have staffies and bull mastiffs?

What are your opinions as to the safety of dogs around children is there a breed of dog that you would not trust?

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    No breed is a bad breed when trained correctly.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I have been bitten by three different poodles, they can be nasty and tempermental so that's total bs. I keep Pitbulls and people always make faces, but I would have 10 well trained Pits around my kids before I would have one poodle.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

this. some are tempered differently but overall if you train them correctly you shouldnt have problems. I have a border collie and she is never around little kids. The odd time that she is she is very gentle and playful.

ETA: everything ive read about border collies says they are bad around little kids.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Nature v. Nurture. Also, if you're going to get an "aggressive" breed you really should know the bloodlines. Alas, I grew up with standard poodles, so I've never had any experience with such dogs as an owner, although I've met some really sweet "aggressive" breeds.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Some people say neutering will calm down the dog also?

I understand the whole ` a well trained dog` ethic but if they are not with the owner as in this case, and they were in a `pack` then will they be under control and trained?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised about those Mastiffs. They're typically very relaxed and chill animals, despite their menacing appearance.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There are certain breeds I wouldn't trust around kids. There are also breeds I wouldn't trust around adults! But pitties aren't one of them. I used to be a professional pet sitter and dog walker. I've only been bitten once, and that was by a minpin. Resulted in 9 stitches in my face. Ask me what I think about minpins!

I think the better question is: What the hell was a toddler doing in the backyard with 4 large dogs?!

Edited for spelling.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised about those Mastiffs. They're typically very relaxed and chill animals, despite their menacing appearance.

I'm surprised too. A close friend has had a couple of Italian Mastiffs over the years and they are incredibly gentle.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As you can tell from my profile I have an American Pit Bull Terrier. Training is a must. I would never put my dog in a situation were
    something could happen. You have to be a responsible dog owner. i'm so sorry for the family. This will put all Staffies under suspicion as dangerous dogs which will be sad. It is just terrible all around.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Two Pitbulls attacked and killed a 14 month old in Wisconsin. I don't trust pits around my boy and I never will.
  • twinketta
    Options
    There are certain breeds I wouldn't trust around kids. There are also breeds I wouldn't trust around adults! But pitties aren't one of them. I used to be a professional pet sitter and dog walker. I've only been bitten once, and that was by a minpin. Resulted in 9 stitches in my face. Ask me what I think about minpins!

I think the better question is: What the hell was a toddler doing in the backyard with 4 large dogs?!

Edited for spelling.

Sorry, if you misunderstood she was not a toddler she was a 14 year old girl and not in the back yard, but in the family room/lounge area eating her lunch
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    BTW, pitties are/were known as "nanny" dogs because of their gentle nature and natural instinct to protect their children. Unfortunately they have been bred badly for many years and are common with backyard breeders and gangs (here in SoCal anyway). So pittbull attacks are fairly common these days, not only because there are a lot of pitties around, but because many are bred badly, never received proper training or care or LOVE, or were bred specifically to protect drugs, drug dealers and gang members. Pitties who are cared for, loved, treated as part of the family, and trained do not attack people.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options

Edited for spelling.

Sorry, if you misunderstood she was not a toddler she was a 14 year old girl and not in the back yard, but in the family room/lounge area eating her lunch
    Oh, then I misunderstood the article I read. I thought she was a toddler who was going to turn 2 years old in June. My mistake.

** I just found out the problem. There was a toddler in Georgia mauled by pitties also. So 2 separate stories in the news today.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ive gown up with and had dogs thoughout my life (One at a time, not all at once)...3 German Sheppards, 1 Collie, 1 Kuvasz, 1 Mut, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Dalmation and now a Black Lab. All were great well trained dogs except 1 which was crazy so we had to put him down. He was a German Sheppard that we had and he came from an abusive household. He bit my dad so we had to let him go. Otherwise, all the others were awesome but hands down my Black Lab is the BEST! He lets the kids do whatever they want with him and so long as he gets his treats, he's a happy guy.

As for other breeds, I believe it's all in how they are raised and trained. I personally am afraid of Pit Bulls but that's only because I had 1 that attacked one of my German Sheppards (latched on to his head) and 1 that attacked me (in the face). I know they are great breeds but I fear them very badly due to my experiences.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Even if we all have dog licences and leash our dogs and even go so far as to muzzle them in public, do you think this will help?

It is not going to help this young girl, but I still wonder if people should go on breeding `bull` type dogs?

Although I do understand that a lot of people have `bull ` type dogs that train their dogs and are very caring.

But do you trust your dog in your home completely?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When my husband had his first dog who was a pound puppy mutt he had several small nieces and nephews. He knew that she (the dog) would be around children so he purposely would pull the tail, ears, and just annoy her in a way that a child would just to get her used to the pulling, tugging and annoyances. He never had a problem with her going after any child who did something like that to her.

Our current dog is one that was abandoned at the end of our road last year. Thankfully he is a sweet boy who absolutely LOVES people and kids. We're currently trying to get him used to other dogs (he has an alpha male issue that we're trying to curb) but he truly is the sweetest boy out there and I love him to bits. I honestly am glad that the people who had him abandoned him because his life is obviously better than it was seeing as he's gained 21lbs in the year that we've had him!

I'll admit that I am completely untrustworthy of pitt bulls however our neighbor has a rescue who was unfortunately the bait dog in a ring of fighting. While I have never personally had any bad interaction with one I just don't trust the breed. It's just me. I totally understand that any dog can be a "bad" dog because of the way it is raised but I personally don't trust pits.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Just a little test, for all us dog owners?

Leave a little doll or teddy bear with your dog when you go our for a couple of hours?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just a little test, for all us dog owners?

Leave a little doll or teddy bear with your dog when you go our for a couple of hours?

Why?

I don't understand??

My dog only plays with his own toys and his treats. I have stuffed animals on the bed, my husband put one of my teddie bears right on him and he did nothing with it. He "eats" my slippers but only when they're on my feet and I'm playing with him.

I'm not sure what your test is going to accomplish.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    But do you trust your dog in your home completely?

I don't trust any dog completely. And I love dogs, have worked with dogs, own a dog. But they're animals. They're not capable of reason. People are capable of reason, and I still don't trust most of them.

While out running, I've happened upon many dogs, stray and on leash. The only dog I've crossed the street to avoid is a toy apricot poodle whose owner uses (misuses) a retractable leash. I know that dog will lunge after me, and I know the owner doesn't keep the leash locked.