Anyone Else Who Can't Stand the "Taste" of Water?

Options

Replies

• morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I hate tap water because I can taste the chlorine. I grew up on well water so I guess that may have something to do with it. Thankfully, my fridge dispenses filtered water so I have a non-pool tasting source. Now when I drink all of what I take to the gym with me, I have to use the gym's fountain, which isn't so bad to drink directly from it but I can't tolerate putting it in my bottle.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It has no taste. I don't understand. I don't like "vitamin water" and such where they add fake flavors to it, but straight from the tap, it has no flavor at all. It's just wet and refreshing.
  • DaniEdge9
    DaniEdge9 Posts: 34
    Options
    Orlando water tastes like sulfur because they have a low water table or something like that. It's so gross. That's why Disney makes a killing off of all that bottled stuff.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love water , but having tasted water in many, many, places I can see not liking/hating some of it. We have well water, and a reverse osmosis system and the water is awesome,but I can see getting bored with it.

I think drinking your water as really weak slightly sweetened tea would be fine. Also making fruit water with berries and or lemon, etc. would be great. Just do what works for you... :)

I find using a straw really helps get MORE water/flavored water down way faster too!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    And because you've only just started recently, you have a lot to learn.
    {quote}

You forgot to say, "Not to be rude, BUT..."

This is my first topic post, and it's obvious there are people on MFP who CAN express disagreement politely, as well as those I've seen mentioned in other posts referred to as "health snobs," Thankfully there are also posters who stand up to defend those who are targets of rudeness. Guess some people never move on after high school. It's kind of silly to think that you can tell a person's whole story from a weight loss ticker, or a short bio, like the poster who responded to my question that you could NEVER lose weight without drinking "plain water" (I pointed out I'd previously lost 35 lbs without plain water). As long as someone finds something that works for them, to lose weight/maintain a healthy weight, & finds them in good health, that's what's important. Everyone is different, & different things work for different people. I'm glad the negative posters have found something they believe in that works for them, Also glad those like me have found ways to stay hydrated. Thanks for letting me know I'm NOT crazy. ;-)
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste... lol
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use a Brita water system here for my drinking water. It helps.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You arent completely crazy. I WILL NOT drink tap water. I only drink bottled water, or the water we go and get from the spring down the road ourselves.

Though in fairness to the tap water thing, ours smells like chlorine almost on a daily, and it taste really metallic. And if it doesnt smell like chlorine it smells like rotten eggs which is less appealing.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Why drink a diuretic if you already don't drink water!? Counter-productive!
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You aren't crazy. And those who are saying you are, are being rude.

Municipal water does have different tastes, depending on the mineral content. I find some delicious, some blah, and some downright unpalatable.

Note that most bottled water is simply water that is bottled from a municipal water supply somewhere. Look at the label.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Decaf
  • G8torgrl821
    Options
    you can always add flavored enhancers with zero-to-low calories to add a better taste. Ocean Spray or Crystal Lite offers some as do Walmart. I can drink a little of plain water, but then i need some different taste. good luck.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Water tastes VERY different, depending on where it comes from. I think it's more of a smell issue..

City water: Gags me, the chlorine taste is awful.
    I travel a lot and I've tasted sulfur, metallic tastes, algae, a 'river' taste (whatever that is, I can't describe it)
    Bottled water sometimes tastes like plastic.

The only water I can stand is my pure, clean well water and after drinking diet soda for years, I can't stand how 'plain' it is. I kicked the soda habit but, if I'm trying to drink more than usual, I have to flavor it with something. I make green tea, fruit infused water and sometimes generic diet koolaid.

The ONLY time plain water tastes good to me is after a heavy workout, and I'm truly thirsty. I think that is biggest problem, I'm rarely thirsty, especially in winter, when basically the only time I sweat is while working out.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you’re crazy. My husband is the same. He does not like the taste of water. Or, to appease some of the other posters, the lack of taste. :tongue: To avoid the sugars but still keep him hydrated I have tried some of the Mio flavors for him and it seems to work.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    It doesn't taste... lol
    Yeah it does, you're just used to what yours tastes like.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Not reading all 6 pages to find out if this was already said...

but that little girl LIKED water. Just not stale water that had been sitting out too long. And I'm like that girl. I love water, drink it all day. But I will not drink water that's been sitting out for hours.

And not liking the taste of water... #ultimatefirstworldproblem
  • purplepaisley7
    Options
    Water can definitely have different tastes! Growing up when I visited my aunt who lived in Browerville, MN, I dreaded drinking the water there because of the unpleasant taste! If you live in a city there are chemicals added to the water at the treatment plant. We live in the country and have our own well - the water is delicious!! But I have noticed that during the spring when the snow melts and the water is running down the hill from the fields that have been spread with manure there is a slightly different taste. Don't worry, I have had my water tested and it is all good!
  • snugs41871
    Options
    I do not like water for the most part...however, I will drink it with Mio in it...it has no calories and changes the taste... or put a bit of lime or lemon juice into the water...both work well and give you a different flavor...
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the taste of water, or really lack there of. But after I started to force myself to drink 8 cups of water a day because I was always slightly dehydrated other wise. Before I started drinking water I would drink like 1 glass a day and that was all I would drink all day except maybe a little milk with my cereal. Now I crave water. Just try to get used to drinking it. Your body is made up of a lot of water so it makes since to drink water to replenish your body.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Yes, I'm feeling much better now, since there's about 51 posters who agreed w/me, & only about 11 who didn't. WE ARE NOT ALONE!!! LOL! ;-) WATER HATERS OF THE WORLD UNITE! ;-)

Not to be rude, but I couldn't help but notice that quite a few of the "water haterz" had quite a long way to go in terms of reaching their goals. Whereas, most of the people who say to just drink water and stop complaining were in good shape. Coincidence? Probably not!

Now stop being a baby, go get a glass of water, and chug it! Do it a couple times every day and pretty soon you'll realize how silly you sound. You're sounding just like those wimps who post stuff like "I can't eat any veggies at all because I don't like them!"
    I hate water. I lost 40lbs hating it, now I'm building muscle with my generic, diet koolaid. ha