List of things worth living for.

Options

Replies

• DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I felt like this awhile ago, after I got out of the hospital for a suicide attempt.
    (This was years ago, btw, I got help- we're all good now. worry not)

And then I just looked around me and realized absolutely everything I saw was f'ing incredible.
    The sky is pretty. Good music is great. Flowers! Flowers exist and they just pop out of gross dirt and decide to be colorful! :D They just do! And that's fabulous. Gross dirt is awesome, too! Family and friends. Cool TV shows. Jellyfish! The internet!

The fact that you have the opportunity to wake up every single day and make brand new choices and change the entire route that you're going on....that is enough reason for me ;]
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My wife, beer, cheese based foods, buncha people on my friend list, DOMS, summer, beer, and animals.

ETA: Oh, and music and laughter. And beer.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Beer.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking at things you think are worth NOT living for, and question your thoughts. What is the black and white thinking in your mind that convinces you it's not worth it? Also, I recommend the work of Byron Katie. (www.thework.com). I found it very helpful.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this times a million
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mkb343Qbsm1qkyu6co1_400.gif

Stuff like that.

Yes.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    The people in your life, such as your family, that you will permanently harm and perhaps even emotionally destroy, should you be so stupid as to actually go through with it. It is the most selfish act possible because it only ends YOUR problems. You leave your family to pick up the pieces. Do you also know that should you do it, the likelihood of another family member doing the same dramatically increases? Think about it.

Think about the fact that my family does not actually care about me at all and have told me to my face that they would be better off if I was never born.
    Think about the fact that a suicidal person feels like they would be making the world a HAPPIER place .. you call that selfish?
  • jameswilson29
    Options
    Ask your psychologist to recommend a psychiatrist who can prescribe a good anti-depressant for you. You could also see your family physician for a prescription. You might also consider seeing a different psychologist.

There is no reason for you to be depressed. You have a wonderful gift of life and you are trying to improve yourself, or you would not be here on this forum. As one of the other posters alluded, depression is a disease due to a deficiency of neurotransmitters in your brain. It is not your fault, unless you choose not to do something about it. There is a great variety of inexpensive, effective medications to treat your condition. Go seek help!
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get your vitaminD tested!! I have been depressed for most of my life but the last 9 months of consistent healthy food, exercise and 10,000 units of Vitamin D every other day have changed my life. It's still hard to face the mountain of crap but I'm starting to whittle away at it. My parents both died 3 years ago within 6 months of each other and woo-ee did I hit bottom. Some depression is normal but please dont give up.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    First kisses.

Two years later and each kiss still feels like first kisses.

My beautiful girlfriend.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    joy, pain, triumph, failure, family, friends, enemies. Hope and an entire map of the world you haven't yet seen.
    Trees, bugs, flowers, the ocean.

Steak, wine, chicken wings.

Frank Sinatra, The Rolling Stones, Al Green, Otis Redding.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Jesus, my husband, my children, my family and my friends. Myself :) I was put here for a purpose!!
    I also want to add that I struggle with depression and anxiety disorder and have since I was a preteen. It is really tough sometimes. There are days I really don't want to get out of bed. There are days I wonder if I should just bury my head under my pillow. But...you have to focus on the positives in your life and not dwell on the bad.

Seek help! There is NOTHING wrong with the meds that the dr. will give you. It may take a while to get a doseage right. One meds may not work for you. But get some help. You are here for a reason, too!! ((Hugs))

:flowerforyou:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    The people in your life, such as your family, that you will permanently harm and perhaps even emotionally destroy, should you be so stupid as to actually go through with it. It is the most selfish act possible because it only ends YOUR problems. You leave your family to pick up the pieces. Do you also know that should you do it, the likelihood of another family member doing the same dramatically increases? Think about it.

Think about the fact that my family does not actually care about me at all and have told me to my face that they would be better off if I was never born.
    Think about the fact that a suicidal person feels like they would be making the world a HAPPIER place .. you call that selfish?

Yes. It is possible that your family doesn't care. It's a real shame but it happens. Then there are the MANY other cases where YOU think that your family doesn't care. You're struggling right now but that doesn't have to be permanent. Do you have any siblings? Do you have any friends? Now is the time to look at them and realize who you will harm. Life is often difficult but it also has a hell of a lot of beauty in it. Find that beauty. I could talk about the destruction for hours. I've lost two brothers. Don't do that to the ones around you. It's unbelievably cruel.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    There are opportunities to live for. There are many things to experience and people to meet. You will be enriched by them and will make them better people for having met them. If the person you are talking with isn't helping you work through things, perhaps find someone else.

You are worthy and there are so many things worth seeing in this world. If you leave it, you miss that chance. :heart:
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1. Since you're seeing someone, might I suggest that if you're on meds you get them adjusted.

2. When I was at the lowest point in my depression I always clung to the idea that I didn't want the person who caused my pain to have the satisfaction of seeing how much he hurt me. He would have made it all about him and that would have pissed me off, I chose life to spite him.

3. I find that it's the little things, I know people say it all the time, but think about them, intently. My best friend does this thing with her tongue when she's said something she finds funny that makes me laugh every time. I love it, I look for it, when we're on the phone I can visualize her doing that in the conversation. My sister has this smile when she talks about her husband that makes me believe in true love. My mom get's this look in her eyes when she's talking about Peter, the boy we're adopting that makes me believe despite all the issues we're having with the adoption that we're going to get him. I love the way the sky looks before a storm. The memory of the way Haiti smelled after rain is one of my most vivid memories and I haven't been there in 8 years, it calms me in the midst of a panic attack. The way my dad laughs at his own jokes is the most annoying and endearing thing in the world.

4. I babysit a boy who only has 1.5 lungs, has no diaphragm, can't speak, has a g-tube, has died on the OR table multiple times, and has more health issues than most would know how to deal with. Watching him brings me more joy than anything I can think of. He will rewind Mickey a million times to listen to the same 2 second clip of audio and smile brighter each time it plays. He can't talk so he's learned some altered ASL, and he created a sign for "happy" no one taught him, no one knew what it was for months, until his mom caught the pattern. When you finally respond to what he's signing (hand him the object/get the show on/etc.) he'll sign his version "happy" and just beam up at you like you've given him the world. And then he'll just stare at his hands, in the sign for "happy" and somehow smile brighter. If he, at 6 with the developmental capacity of a 3 year old, can find the strength to go on and be thrilled about it, well, that's a lesson I am happy to learn from him every time I see him.

I wish you the best.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    Ask your psychologist to recommend a psychiatrist who can prescribe a good anti-depressant for you. You could also see your family physician for a prescription. You might also consider seeing a different psychologist.

There is no reason for you to be depressed. You have a wonderful gift of life and you are trying to improve yourself, or you would not be here on this forum. As one of the other posters alluded, depression is a disease due to a deficiency of neurotransmitters in your brain. It is not your fault, unless you choose not to do something about it. There is a great variety of inexpensive, effective medications to treat your condition. Go seek help!

I was on medication but decided to stop taking it as it completely screwed up my thyroid and metabolism..
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

If you say they don't care, then isn't it better to spite them by living? If that's the way you feel. People say harsh things in the heat of a moment, but life is all we have. It's your life, not theirs. Live it. When you're a self-sufficient adult, cut them out of it and don't look back.

Why give them that kind of power over you? Who cares if they're better. You're better for existing. The world won't be happier if you leave it. That just doesn't happen ever. Nobody rejoices the loss of a young life.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump to respond when I have time to compose something helpful. I've been there and I still go there sometimes. You're not alone. It's so hard to live with these feelings and I'm sorry you are feeling this way.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Trees. Watching ocean waves slapping a beach. Sunny days. Spring. Baby animals. Good music. Art. Halloween. Sitting on a patio and watching the people who walk past. A book you can't put down. Warm summer nights with lots of visible stars in the sky. Laughter. Sneezing. Feeling cozy. The way it feels when a plane speeds down the runway. The smell of baking bread.

So many things. We have a beautiful world, and should try to stay here as long as we can. Lift your head, honey. It always gets better.

Love this. Well, besides the Halloween part. :P
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I was on medication but decided to stop taking it as it completely screwed up my thyroid and metabolism..

But did it help with the depression? Try different meds. Going off ADs cold turkey isn't good for your brain chemistry.