List of things worth living for.

Options

Replies

• kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    after years of trying to have a baby our daughter died in childbirth. we tried again and i went on to have 3 miscarriages. we are no longer trying to have children.

i have some extremely dark days - i get up & get moving for my husband and my pets (1 dog & 4 cats).

people say it gets better with time but i haven't found any relief from the nightmare yet.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Many people feel suicidal at times and it is not selfish. It is a natural reaction to bad circumstances. I'm sorry you have been feeling badly for so long.

If you have started writing your own list of things worth living for, please share. Those will of course mean more to you than anyone else's list.

Warm wishes that you find some good reasons and hang in here until one day (hopefully soon!) you begin to feel a little less terrible and maybe even not so bad. :)
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    Many people feel suicidal at times and it is not selfish. It is a natural reaction to bad circumstances. I'm sorry you have been feeling badly for so long.

If you have started writing your own list of things worth living for, please share. Those will of course mean more to you than anyone else's list.

Warm wishes that you find some good reasons and hang in here until one day (hopefully soon!) you begin to feel a little less terrible and maybe even not so bad. :)

sometimes chemicals, not circumstances..
  • Sherae12
    Sherae12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband
    My family and friends
    To see my (future) children and grandchildren grow
    Laughing
    Dancing
    Star Gazing
    The ocean
    Comfortable Pjs and cuddling on the couch.
    The smell of freshly cut grass or growing flowers
    Chocolate
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    all the experiences you have yet to have.
    all the places you have yet to go.
    all the people you have yet to meet.
    all the friends you have yet to make.
    all the smiles you have yet to give.
    all the laughs you have yet to enjoy.
    all the foods you have yet to taste.
    all the music you have yet to hear.

in short, everything that you will see, do, feel, hear, experience, and enjoy for the rest of your life.

you are just 21. you still have a long bucket list... a very long bucket list.

life is worth living for.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I have been getting help for YEARS.. much to peoples' dismay you can't just 'think positive' and everything will be ok again.. Just like you wouldn't tell a cancer patient to think positive and they would be cured.

I've found a lot of people really don't understand depression. Sometimes the "biggest" thing you do all day is breath, and that's exhausting. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ has some really insightful posts on depression, also, it is funny as hell. I have cried with laughter more than once reading it.

You said you weren't just on ADs, but I'd still suggest talking to the doc and trying a variety of meds. Do you like your counselor/are they effective? Shop around for another, therapists are like boyfriends/girlfriends, you rarely find the one for you right off the bat and as you change so do your needs and its okay to "break up" and find another one who is better for you where you are now.

I've been in some version of your shoes, I've spent years dealing with/denying/ignoring depression, if you want to talk feel free to PM me.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My worst days I do something similar to Laches, but I go to the beach and take in the power of the ocean. It just floors me that that water allowes for all life on Earth to exist and I am lucky enough that I get to be part of it.
    If you're struggling, please seek help. You are not alone. You're never alone.

I'd also like to second this, though. Please know that you mean a lot to the people you are close to, and they want to keep you in their lives.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my family tell me I'm better off dead, but I'm MUCH better off without my family. Every time I visit, I go crazy and see a side of myself I have not regularly seen since I lived there. It's... sad. I don't get along with either of my brothers, and nothing I do is ever good enough. Growing up, I was regularly told I'm fat and ugly and will never make anything of myself. And people wonder why I'm fat, self-conscious, and have low self-esteem... All three have gotten much better lately, because...........

...... I was mildly psychologically abused growing up, and still bear the scars of that with some depression on occasion. I was thisclose to being aborted, but the nurse at the abortion clinic was a friend of my (adoptive) mother, and told the lady that she had a couple who wanted to adopt who had been trying for years to have a baby but couldn't. My (biological) mother said ok, and everything went through. I have told myself there was a reason my life was spared. Someone, somewhere was looking out for me that day, and it's my job to live and find that reason.

Something that I think about when I'm sad is the refugees I've had the pleasure of working with, and their stories. Running for your life across a border while your family is being shot and killed around you. Being forced to leave your homeland and resettle in a country where you don't know the culture or the language. Never being able to go back to your country. Nothing I have - or don't have - can compare to that.

Have you tried volunteering with the less fortunate at all? Not only does it help them, it's amazing how much it can help the person who is volunteering.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Five weeks ago I had brain surgery for a rare condition called Chiari Malformation. I haven't shared this part much, because I didn't want to alarm my friends on here. I could have died had the condition been slightly worse. I wasn't afraid of dying. I was TERRIFIED of what would be left behind, my husband and son, the rest of my family, my friends. People hurt when people close to them die. Your pain can be worked through. It might take time, you have to trust the process, just like I trusted that my surgery would be successful. Be strong.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, you asked for reasons to keep living, and many of us have given them, but you are focussing on the posts you disagree with. Please take a step back and recognise that you were given what you asked for.

If you want to feel better, hold the positive things close to you and stop concentrating on why you will continue to feel badly.

You asked for something. You got it. Have a think about those things.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options

I have been getting help for YEARS.. much to peoples' dismay you can't just 'think positive' and everything will be ok again.. Just like you wouldn't tell a cancer patient to think positive and they would be cured.

I've found a lot of people really don't understand depression. Sometimes the "biggest" thing you do all day is breath, and that's exhausting. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ has some really insightful posts on depression, also, it is funny as hell. I have cried with laughter more than once reading it.

You said you weren't just on ADs, but I'd still suggest talking to the doc and trying a variety of meds. Do you like your counselor/are they effective? Shop around for another, therapists are like boyfriends/girlfriends, you rarely find the one for you right off the bat and as you change so do your needs and its okay to "break up" and find another one who is better for you where you are now.

I've been in some version of your shoes, I've spent years dealing with/denying/ignoring depression, if you want to talk feel free to PM me.

Yeah. AD's, mood stabiliser, and seroquel for sleep due to my PTSD
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Cats.
    And frosting.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    OP, you asked for reasons to keep living, and many of us have given them, but you are focussing on the posts you disagree with. Please take a step back and recognise that you were given what you asked for.

If you want to feel better, hold the positive things close to you and stop concentrating on why you will continue to feel badly.

Well maybe people should have just answered it rather than be rude in the process.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who suggested making a list of things you are grateful for, although that's hard to do when you're in a down cycle. Sometimes we need to seek out professional help to get us to a place where we can start to heal. It's near impossible to do it on your own if you're truly severely clinically depressed. Once the fog lifts you can work on changing your mindset. So please get help ASAP. This can and will get better!

The thing that has kept me healthy for years and that has helped me grow my happiness over time has been taking some time before bed each night to reflect and show gratitude for the many blessings in my life. Some people would do this through prayer, others might consider meditation. Whatever works for you.

I COULD focus on the negative, but that doesn't solve any problems. Over months and years of practicing gratitude, I've gradually shifted from seeing my life in a mostly hopeless, negative light to now finding almost nothing to complain about. Even the "bad" things have just become learning experiences or challenges for me. Look into hypnotherapy, too. It's amazing how helpful it can be!

My things worth living for: my husband, sunshine, trail running in nature, growing my garden, snugging with critters, baking, non-fiction, naps, finding out what happens next...:flowerforyou:
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yeah. AD's, mood stabiliser, and seroquel for sleep due to my PTSD

Good old PTSD. I'm on ambien because otherwise I won't sleep to avoid the nightmares, the ambien helps with that, but sometimes it does this great thing where it traps me in my nightmare and I can't wake up from it and so I'm just stuck there until it wears off. My PTSD is a real pain in the hiney. I get panic attacks when I shower in unfamiliar places, which makes traveling super fun.

Not bipolar or on mood stailisers, but I know a lot of people who are bipolar who have a horrible time on meds for them. There was a documentary done about it, I can't remember the name, but it was on netflix, it was very interesting.

As Contrarian said, you've been given a lot of positives, have you given any of them a thought, or thought about a plan of action, just pick one thing to do tomorrow that will make you happy and then do it again the next day.
  • TIFJAZJUL
    TIFJAZJUL Posts: 13
    Options
    Live for Jesus..Read the new testament..I'm a mental health counselor and while I could have recommended several coping techniques I have found that reading Jesus' words is the best therapy out there
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love. And not neccessarily the romance stuff, or what you need other people for. Loving the little things in life; the steamy hot cup of tea, the concrete things, the beauty that you can find in things you didn't think were beautiful at all. Maybe even beauty in ugliness. But looking to the future and thinking of how things will get better and no matter what there WILL be a beautiful, sunshiney day out ahead of you can always raise spirits. Sometimes, when I get particularly down, it's because I've lost touch with reality. Finding the concrete things and learning to appreciate them can root me again.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Well maybe people should have just answered it rather than be rude in the process.

People did. I don't think anyone was rude to you.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Not one person on this thread has been rude.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

There has been no rude in this thread. You've been given a lot of helpful and insightful answers.