What Constitutes As Exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I feel that if it's part of my daily routine, which I already factored in to my settings, I don't count it.

So for people who go to the gym everyday? They shouldn't count their workout, after all, it's part of their daily routine..

I would count anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps your heart rate up for a prolonged period of time.

It all comes down to what you select in the set up (as I said in my post) exercise IS factored in.

Sedentary = Little or no exercise

Somewhat Active = Light exercise 1 - 3 days a week

Moderately Active = Moderate exercise or sports 3 - 5 days a week

Very Active = Hard exercise or sports 6 - 7 days a week

Extremely Active = Hard daily exercise or sports plus physical job or exercise two times a day
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Exercise could be consider any effort you make out of the norm.
    example:
    Scratching my butt is an effort I can count 1 calorie

:laugh: :bigsmile: Just so I can be accurate.... How long does one have to scratch their butt to burn a full calorie?

ROFL!!!!
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a very sedentary job so that's what I put my setting to.

I log my walk between work and the station because sometimes it's 40 minutes walk a day which is not built into my week-ends and I don't always walk it (if I've left the office too late to catch my train I'll take the bus instead). That way I am reminded that I need to do some exercise at the week-end or adjust the food I eat down.

I find logging the calories for it means if the weather is a bit off and I am tempted to take the bus instead I have a bit more motivation to take the less comfortable option.

Also my commute can vary. I have the following options a) short walk, train, bus; b) short walk, train, 20 min walk (at a brisk pace, 25 if I take my time) my preferred option when the weather is nice c) just under 8 miles cycle - my preferred option on Summer mornings, not an option in winter as the path I use is not lit and it's still dark when I leave home and a lot less pleasant coming home than it is in the morning (the path is almost deserted in the morning so it feels like you have the whole of the world to yourself and you see a few animals - in the evening there are a lot more people there so it's not as nice). If I didn't log it then picking one or the other would make not difference to the calorie allowance when there is a difference in the activity for that day.

I don't log carrying 13.5 kg of toddler for half of the walk from the childminder to the bus and half the walk from the bus stop to home because I have to do that regardless so I don't need the carrot of the exercise calories. If anything want to discourage him to ask for up :smile:

On the other hand I log instances when I carry more than a few items of shopping home (2 bags full of tins and produce for example) because I made the effort not to take the car and it's generally heavier than some of the dumbells I have seen people use at the gym.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If I am doing something for the purpose of exercise I log it (i.e. taking the dog for a walk, hitting the gym, etc)

In the past I have counted cleaning if it was a thorough deep clean of the house (where you actually work up a sweat), otherwise grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, I tend to not count because its part of your everyday movement.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I log anything that doubles my heart rate. or takes me over 100bpm. but that's me, anyone who says don't log it unless you change into gym gear is an idiot.
    Log what you want, In the end if you log a single square of chocolate "27 calories" why not log a 10 minute walk to the shops at 3mph "42".
    What is the difference whether you ate it or you burnt it...
    if you have a problem with logging minor burns then don't, but don't try to "guilt out" people who want to log each victory.
    People are telling OP what they do. Doesn't justify being called idiots.
    You think?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I just did 11km to go get some choc Easter bunnies for hubby & son.... I grabbed a bottle of juice, and some stuff for me. I burnt almost 600 cals doing it...... not considered exercise by some I guess I should not log it? Walking isn't considered exercise.