Quinoa

Options
2»

Replies

• sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can always use left over quinoa in bean burgers (or sweet potato burgers)

Mash/mix black beans with quinoa, some chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, some bread crumbs/panko, seasonings.

Thin patties work best--bake or saute and there you go!
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered quinoa too. We love it! ...but isn't it fairly high in calories?

1/3 of a cup is about 230 calories depending on the brand and its actually a lot of quinoa and very filling.

is that uncooked?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered quinoa too. We love it! ...but isn't it fairly high in calories?

1/3 of a cup is about 230 calories depending on the brand and its actually a lot of quinoa and very filling.

is that uncooked?

It is dry (uncooked). Most will go by 1/4 cup on the label, I just put 1/3 since that's from my diary on here. 1 cup dry comes out to about 2-3 cups cooked
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I'm always confused .. is this 1/3 of a cup UNCOOKED, then eat the whole thing for 230 calories??? AND.. i bought a rice cooker at target, used it once and it died. do you guys recommend getting another?

Correct. It expands when it absorbs the water you're cooking with, just like rice. I love my rice cooker but I've only had it about 2 weeks now. It was just a small cheap one from Aroma on amazon for like $17.
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump