Food addiction--it REALLY DOES EXIST!!!

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    I'm not challenging the food addiction theory.

I guess you missed this in my last post....

"Some people feel they are "addicted" to food. If that is their understanding of why they are overweight and it somehow helps them stop overeating, that's great. "

I never said that there is no such thing as food addiction.

I was simply trying to encourage you and at the same time make the point that what you propose might not work for every overweight person. No offense intended. Have a great day.:smile:
  • bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

No, it's not physically addictive in the same way as heroin. I'm not minimizing food addiction. But, the physical addiction is different (especially after decades of physical drug addiction and everything else that it involves and leads to).

I'm not saying that it is not physically or mentally or emotionally addictive (and again that is not something I understand personally), but the physical addiction is just a different type of physical addiction. And the outcomes are just different.

Again, please do research prior to making your assumptions. If you do not have this addiction, then there is absolutely no way you will understand what it does to your body.

I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said. But, perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I said that I have not experienced food addiction, but I have eaten food and sugar. So, that is why I know it is not physically addictive in the exact same way as drugs. Because all people do not become physically addicted in a destructive way to it. I did not say it is not an addiction or destructive or harmful or painful (for the people that are emotionally addicted to it, and in that way also in a physical way addicted since it is a physical experience). I said that it is physically different. And this is based on my own experience with science and watching addiction first hand (as well as educating myself on it). If you stop eating sugar, you will not have seizures. I ate sugar yesterday and I am not going to wake up a few months from now, weighing 80 pounds, being sex trafficked by my "fiance", almost dead, not recognizing my family. There is not even remotely a risk of that due to me eating a 500 calorie breakfast of only candy.

I'm not trying to be unsupportive. Just that not everyone that struggles with weight has the exact same issue and reason for it. And I was only responding to the stuff you were saying about a drug addiction being better than a food addiction. I'm sorry if I can not communicate this in a clear and good way. I'm trying, but it's challenging.

Perhaps comparing it to tobacco or caffeine would be a better comparison. Sugar is not a mind altering drug. So, there are differences.

And I am not even saying one is better or worse than the other. That is actually what I am not saying. I was just responding to you implying that drug addiction is better than food addiction because of the support. There is not so much support out there as you think there is. It's not an easy road.

And, as I said. I am here to listen and learn. But, that does not mean I will throw away some things I already know about science.

I completely agree and support that people can have disordered eating. Binge eating is probably the most common form of eating disorder.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    "Have you ever heard of Hedonic eating" Hmmm thanks for the tip. I will definitely research it.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    I am a food addict and have serious issues my husband and family are trying to support me in this but its really tough...
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Did I write this. OMG! Story of my life!
  • CCusedtodance
    I am a food addict and have serious issues my husband and family are trying to support me in this but its really tough...

I looked at your profile and I am twenty one years older than you. I have lived with this addiction since my teens and I have the mental scars to prove it. If you can win this battle at your age, you will save yourself a lot of grief. Feel free to add me, I will have your back.
  • CCusedtodance
    Did I write this. OMG! Story of my life!

I am glad that I am reaching out to so many, especially those of you in your twenties. If just one of you beats this, then I have done what I set out to do. Feel free to add me, I will support you in this battle.
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Food addicts are most certainly held accountable, they are ridiculed for their weight & appearance. I believe I have BED & probably could benefit from OA.I have been overweight my whole life & have been dieting since middle school. Binge eating disorder is a recognized medical condition for anyone who is wondering. The treatment generally includes antidepressants & behavioral therapy. Everyone overeats on occasion, but for anyone suffering from this disorder, it's often a daily occurrence.

And to be clear, I do not blame BED for my weight problem. I know I am responsible, but recognize that I have a problem that is contributing to my struggle.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/binge-eating-disorder/DS00608
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    It's bad but it could be worse. Drug addicts go to jail.

... overeaters can wind up with a heart attack, in the hospital, and dead.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member

We're here for you! There's a great amount of positive support available for you, almost any time of day. Just shout at one of us if you need something :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    "Have you ever heard of Hedonic eating" Hmmm thanks for the tip. I will definitely research it.

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2012/05/hedonic-hunger-triggers-overeating-weight-gain.aspx

this most definitely sounds like me
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    I'm a food addict, have been since I was a child

The only thing I have found to help and help me lose weight is by doing fasting. I am hungry now, I know I am but I know I am fasting so that is that. Tomorrow I won't be fasting and I can eat whatever I like, for a few hours

I have to limit the time I eat, not the amount

Putting data into a calorie counter just reminds me of food, makes it more there for me

I can't do if, it makes me obsess and makes me feel guilty. This way I don't have to feel guilty and it works.
  • CCusedtodance
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate the support!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    It does not exist. Where do you get this information?
    Plus now the truth is finally emerging (as it did some decades ago about tobacco) that processed foods are truly physically addictive, in the same way as chemical stimulants like cocaine, for example. The latest research indicates that the way some processed foods are formulated, they stimulate the same part of the brain that cocaine, tobacco and other drugs.

I find this latest research amazing, as I think many of us blame ourselves as addicts, like in Overeaters Anonymous saying we are powerless over food and yet ironically the food has been designed in labs to be addictive. I wonder at times if some of us are just more sensitive to some of the food formulations, but when one looks at the epidemic of obesity, it looks quite prevalent.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    there's not just hedonistic eating, there's hedonistic people. i'm bipolar and have been fighting gluttonous ways my whole life.. i can't get enough of a good thing. weather it be food, movies, video games, the internet, alcohol, tobacco, or whatever. my whole life is a fight against balance.. yes, being overweight is going to be a result of this lifestyle if you don't constantly watch everything you do and balance it.. it's a conscious effort to some people and it sucks. there are others who don't metabolize as easily.. a lot of thin ppl have the same gluttonous issues and don't get fat. but are just as unhappy.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    It does not exist. Where do you get this information?
    Plus now the truth is finally emerging (as it did some decades ago about tobacco) that processed foods are truly physically addictive, in the same way as chemical stimulants like cocaine, for example. The latest research indicates that the way some processed foods are formulated, they stimulate the same part of the brain that cocaine, tobacco and other drugs.

I find this latest research amazing, as I think many of us blame ourselves as addicts, like in Overeaters Anonymous saying we are powerless over food and yet ironically the food has been designed in labs to be addictive. I wonder at times if some of us are just more sensitive to some of the food formulations, but when one looks at the epidemic of obesity, it looks quite prevalent.

Surely if food created in labs was made to be "addictive" alot more people would be addicted to it. Not all obese people are addicted to food. Some are just greedy.....like me :tongue:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    You crave it because you're "dieting".
    \
    Dieting and food craving. A descriptive, quasi-prospective study
    Anna Massey, Andrew J. Hill,
    Academic Unit of Psychiatry & Behavioural Sciences, Institute of Health Research, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, 101 Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9LJ, UK
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.01.020, How to Cite or Link Using DOI
    Permissions & Reprints
    View full text
    Purchase $31.50

Abstract
    Evidence linking food restriction and food craving is equivocal. This study investigated whether dieting was associated with a greater frequency of food craving. Dieting to lose weight was distinguished from watching so as not to gain weight. Participants were 129 women (mean age = 41 yrs): 52 were currently dieting to lose weight, 40 were watching their weight, and 37 were non-dieters. They completed a food craving record after every food craving, a food diary, and a daily mood assessment over 7-days. Of the 393 craving incidents recorded, dieters experienced significantly more food cravings than non-dieters, with watchers intermediate. Chocolate was the most craved food (37% of cravings) but neither the types of food, the proportion of cravings leading to eating (∼70%), the situations in which cravings occurred, nor the time since the last eating episode differed between groups. Compared with non-dieters, dieters experienced stronger cravings that were more difficult to resist, and for foods they were restricting eating. Watchers showed similarities in experience both to dieters (low hunger) and non-dieters (lower craving intensity). These results support an association between dieting and food craving, the usefulness of distinguishing dieting to lose weight and watching, and suggest a need for further experimental investigation of actual food restriction on food craving experiences.

Highlights
    ► Women dieting to lose weight reported more food craving episodes than non-dieters. ► Women currently watching their weight were intermediate in food craving frequency. ► Mood state around craving did not distinguish dieters and non-dieters. ► Dieter’s food cravings were more likely for foods they reported restricting eating.
    Craving is not addiction.
    Food Craving and Food “Addiction”: A Critical Review of the Evidence From a Biopsychosocial Perspective
    Peter J Rogersa, , Hendrik J Smita
    a Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TN, UK

Although certain commonalities exist between eating and drug use (mood effects, external cue-control of appetites, reinforcement, etc.), it is argued that the vast majority of cases of (self-reported) food craving and food “addiction” should not be viewed as addictive behavior. An explanation is proposed that instead gives a prominent role to the psychological processes of ambivalence and attribution, operating together with normal mechanisms of appetite control, the hedonic effects of certain foods, and socially and culturally determined perceptions of appropriate intakes and uses of those foods. Ambivalence (e.g., “nice but naughty”) about foods such as chocolate arises from the attitude that it is highly palatable but should be eaten with restraint. Attempts to restrict intake, however, cause the desire for chocolate to become more salient, an experience that is then labelled as a craving. This, together with a need to provide a reason for why resisting eating chocolate is difficult and sometimes fails, can, in turn, lead the individual to an explanation in terms of addiction (e.g., “chocoholism”). Moreishness (“causing a desire for more”) occurs during, rather than preceding, an eating episode, and is experienced when the eater attempts to limit consumption before appetite for the food has been sated.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from, OP. I truly believe that food is addictive - especially processed/chemical laden foods that we love to eat. I've read the research and I believe it. I use food as my emotional crutch. I know it stimulates the "happy" parts of my brain. I never know how I'm really feeling, all I know is that food will make it "better." I'm slowly learning to identify and deal with emotions without food. It's freakin' difficult! But, I'm determined.

I don't have an addictive personality either. It's strange. In my view, food addiction is different than other addicitions because yes we are faced with eating every day, but, more importantly, it is acceptable to eat - our parents allowed us (or restricted us) from certain types of food. Behaviours around food are ingrained within us - we eat big meals on Holidays, or family get togethers - we BBQ at parties in the summer time - we go out for wine and cheese/chocolate with our girlfriends. It makes it difficult to separate the good from the bad (or the "normal" from the "overboard").

Good luck on your journey! I'm still wading through mine!

ETA - oh, and just ignore the naysayers. I've rolled my eyes at quite a few posts - especially the ones trying to convince you that it does not exist. Don't reply to them, let's just all move on.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    why do people have a hard time believing that a food addiction is a symptom of a greater problem? treat the problem and the symptom will ease up.. figure out the real issues.. it's not just food addiction.. it's some kind of mental illness that creates a need to medicate with food.. but hey, that's just another opinion...