Food addiction--it REALLY DOES EXIST!!!

Options

Replies

• niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It does not exist. Where do you get this information?
    Plus now the truth is finally emerging (as it did some decades ago about tobacco) that processed foods are truly physically addictive, in the same way as chemical stimulants like cocaine, for example. The latest research indicates that the way some processed foods are formulated, they stimulate the same part of the brain that cocaine, tobacco and other drugs.

I find this latest research amazing, as I think many of us blame ourselves as addicts, like in Overeaters Anonymous saying we are powerless over food and yet ironically the food has been designed in labs to be addictive. I wonder at times if some of us are just more sensitive to some of the food formulations, but when one looks at the epidemic of obesity, it looks quite prevalent.

Surely if food created in labs was made to be "addictive" alot more people would be addicted to it. Not all obese people are addicted to food. Some are just greedy.....like me :tongue:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You crave it because you're "dieting".
    \
    Dieting and food craving. A descriptive, quasi-prospective study
    Anna Massey, Andrew J. Hill,
    Academic Unit of Psychiatry & Behavioural Sciences, Institute of Health Research, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, 101 Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9LJ, UK
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.01.020, How to Cite or Link Using DOI
    Permissions & Reprints
    View full text
    Purchase $31.50

Abstract
    Evidence linking food restriction and food craving is equivocal. This study investigated whether dieting was associated with a greater frequency of food craving. Dieting to lose weight was distinguished from watching so as not to gain weight. Participants were 129 women (mean age = 41 yrs): 52 were currently dieting to lose weight, 40 were watching their weight, and 37 were non-dieters. They completed a food craving record after every food craving, a food diary, and a daily mood assessment over 7-days. Of the 393 craving incidents recorded, dieters experienced significantly more food cravings than non-dieters, with watchers intermediate. Chocolate was the most craved food (37% of cravings) but neither the types of food, the proportion of cravings leading to eating (∼70%), the situations in which cravings occurred, nor the time since the last eating episode differed between groups. Compared with non-dieters, dieters experienced stronger cravings that were more difficult to resist, and for foods they were restricting eating. Watchers showed similarities in experience both to dieters (low hunger) and non-dieters (lower craving intensity). These results support an association between dieting and food craving, the usefulness of distinguishing dieting to lose weight and watching, and suggest a need for further experimental investigation of actual food restriction on food craving experiences.

Highlights
    ► Women dieting to lose weight reported more food craving episodes than non-dieters. ► Women currently watching their weight were intermediate in food craving frequency. ► Mood state around craving did not distinguish dieters and non-dieters. ► Dieter’s food cravings were more likely for foods they reported restricting eating.
    Craving is not addiction.
    Food Craving and Food “Addiction”: A Critical Review of the Evidence From a Biopsychosocial Perspective
    Peter J Rogersa, , Hendrik J Smita
    a Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TN, UK

Although certain commonalities exist between eating and drug use (mood effects, external cue-control of appetites, reinforcement, etc.), it is argued that the vast majority of cases of (self-reported) food craving and food “addiction” should not be viewed as addictive behavior. An explanation is proposed that instead gives a prominent role to the psychological processes of ambivalence and attribution, operating together with normal mechanisms of appetite control, the hedonic effects of certain foods, and socially and culturally determined perceptions of appropriate intakes and uses of those foods. Ambivalence (e.g., “nice but naughty”) about foods such as chocolate arises from the attitude that it is highly palatable but should be eaten with restraint. Attempts to restrict intake, however, cause the desire for chocolate to become more salient, an experience that is then labelled as a craving. This, together with a need to provide a reason for why resisting eating chocolate is difficult and sometimes fails, can, in turn, lead the individual to an explanation in terms of addiction (e.g., “chocoholism”). Moreishness (“causing a desire for more”) occurs during, rather than preceding, an eating episode, and is experienced when the eater attempts to limit consumption before appetite for the food has been sated.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from, OP. I truly believe that food is addictive - especially processed/chemical laden foods that we love to eat. I've read the research and I believe it. I use food as my emotional crutch. I know it stimulates the "happy" parts of my brain. I never know how I'm really feeling, all I know is that food will make it "better." I'm slowly learning to identify and deal with emotions without food. It's freakin' difficult! But, I'm determined.

I don't have an addictive personality either. It's strange. In my view, food addiction is different than other addicitions because yes we are faced with eating every day, but, more importantly, it is acceptable to eat - our parents allowed us (or restricted us) from certain types of food. Behaviours around food are ingrained within us - we eat big meals on Holidays, or family get togethers - we BBQ at parties in the summer time - we go out for wine and cheese/chocolate with our girlfriends. It makes it difficult to separate the good from the bad (or the "normal" from the "overboard").

Good luck on your journey! I'm still wading through mine!

ETA - oh, and just ignore the naysayers. I've rolled my eyes at quite a few posts - especially the ones trying to convince you that it does not exist. Don't reply to them, let's just all move on.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    why do people have a hard time believing that a food addiction is a symptom of a greater problem? treat the problem and the symptom will ease up.. figure out the real issues.. it's not just food addiction.. it's some kind of mental illness that creates a need to medicate with food.. but hey, that's just another opinion...
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    why do people have a hard time believing that a food addiction is a symptom of a greater problem? treat the problem and the symptom will ease up.. figure out the real issues.. it's not just food addiction.. it's some kind of mental illness that creates a need to medicate with food.. but hey, that's just another opinion...

I don't mean to come down on you here but...

Food addiction is not a symptom, and it is no more a mental illness than heroin addiction is a mental illness. That's minimizing the issue. I've been on both sides of the mental health discussion and the fact that certain foods activate the same pleasure center as HEROIN and other opiod drugs do should tell us all something. Dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, all of these wonderful "feel good" opiod chemicals are released when we eat foods that have the magic ratio of sugar, fat, and salt. Just like with any other drug, you eat the foods, the chemicals are released, you feel good (for a split second), and you want to continue feeling good, so you eat some more. I've been a drug addict. I kicked. I'm a nicotine addict, trying to kick. I don't know if I'm a food addict; but either way, there are a lot of foods that I cannot be around or even think too much about because it feels so good (for that split second) to eat them and I personally like to feel good.
  • PototaeLuvvr
    Options
    I yam addicted to pototaes, thus addicted to loosing weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/944039-pototae-cleanse-pruven-methods
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Food addiction is not a symptom, and it is no more a mental illness than heroin addiction is a mental illness. That's minimizing the issue. I've been on both sides of the mental health discussion and the fact that certain foods activate the same pleasure center as HEROIN and other opiod drugs do should tell us all something. Dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, all of these wonderful "feel good" opiod chemicals are released when we eat foods that have the magic ratio of sugar, fat, and salt. Just like with any other drug, you eat the foods, the chemicals are released, you feel good (for a split second), and you want to continue feeling good, so you eat some more. I've been a drug addict. I kicked. I'm a nicotine addict, trying to kick. I don't know if I'm a food addict; but either way, there are a lot of foods that I cannot be around or even think too much about because it feels so good (for that split second) to eat them and I personally like to feel good.

Very well said!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It will take support groups, clinics and websites such as MFP reaching out to those that are hiding their addiction.

Well said. If someone is indeed truly addicted to food, they need physiological intervention at the clinical level.

ETA: I've heard that food companies hire psychologists to help out with their marketing. So there's a lot we're fighting against with ads!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's bad but it could be worse. Drug addicts go to jail.

What an insensitive comment, not surprising though. And food addicts put themselves in an early grave with morbid obesity if they keep feeding their addiction.

This does bring up an interesting point though. Is jailing drug addicts the best way to rehabilitate them? But that's another conversation...
  • karenhray7
    Options
    It does not exist. Where do you get this information?
    Plus now the truth is finally emerging (as it did some decades ago about tobacco) that processed foods are truly physically addictive, in the same way as chemical stimulants like cocaine, for example. The latest research indicates that the way some processed foods are formulated, they stimulate the same part of the brain that cocaine, tobacco and other drugs.

I find this latest research amazing, as I think many of us blame ourselves as addicts, like in Overeaters Anonymous saying we are powerless over food and yet ironically the food has been designed in labs to be addictive. I wonder at times if some of us are just more sensitive to some of the food formulations, but when one looks at the epidemic of obesity, it looks quite prevalent.

Surely if food created in labs was made to be "addictive" alot more people would be addicted to it. Not all obese people are addicted to food. Some are just greedy.....like me :tongue:

To the first quoted: Dr. David A. Kessler. Look him up. Educate yourself with a little less bias.

To the second quoted: Yes, certain combinations of salt, fat, and sugar stimulate our brain's pleasure center, just like many other opiate drugs. But the food is not being designes to be addictive per se, it's being designed to be "palatable"; to stimulate our appetite and prompt us eat more.

To the third quoted: You are correct that food designers are not necessarily aiming to make their food addictive, but many are trying their damndest to create "hyperpalatable" foods: Foods that combine sugar, fat, and salt in optimum amounts to hit the "bliss point" for as man consumers as possible. By layering the fat and salt and sugar into a hyperpalatable dish, the food designers are creating not just a dish that will taste good, but one that we will think about, crave, and eat far past satiety. It's big business at it's best. Because everybody's got to eat, right?

To the OP: I do believe that food addiction is a real disease and I wish you all the luck in the world. I know addiction well and it's a long hard fight to beat addiction of any kind. Identifying it, naming it, claiming it, and calling it out are huge steps to recovery. I applaud you for your honesty and your strength. May you reclaim your wellness with a vengeance.
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I agree that overeating for some people is a form of addiction and it's an eating disorder. And I see how it harms the person and the loved ones, similiar to other addictions. I completely get that and understand that aspect of it.

And there are ways of making food that can be addictive for some people. Like salt on chips can be that way for some people. MSG is an additive that has the effect.

But, some foods do increase those neurotransmitters, as you mentioned, and that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing (for some people). It's good to have a healthy amount of neurotransmitters to feel good and to not become depressed. Exercise will also increase endorphins. Just important not to demonize neurotransmitters. It can't increase it that much, though. I have been depressed and eating food never helped me with it.

Some people use drugs to self medicate and I can see how that can be a similiar way that people use food. So, I agree that dealing with the underlying issues is really the key to helping find a solution for the problem. And it is very common for a person that has had one kind of addiction to develop another type of addiction. And it's also very common for addictions and eating disorders to have underlying, deep, emotional causes. There are lots of factors and issues here. All are worth being discussed and pondered. How it all plays out, is not the same for all people. It's not just one easy, simple, tidy answer. Honestly the problems will never be solved if people are unwilling to explore all the research on it (not just the one popular book everyone has been bringing up).
  • kimcalica
    Options

Very well said!

people that use heroin do it because of a greater problem as well.. do you think one day someone decides "hey! i'm going to do heroin?" and that's it? they are addicted? no.. it's their lives and the way they perceive it that determines weather they fall down the hellhole of drug addiction. mental illness + drugs = addiction....
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Uhm . . . aren't we all food addicts??

I peg addiction as any repetitive action that gets in the way of daily living. This is why lots of people can have a beer or smoke a bowl on the weekend while, for me, it sends me straight to powder and needles. No one yet fully understands what makes an addict and what doesn't.

For some people, the act of eating does get in the way of daily living. Many of us have dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors towards food (our weight often proves it). But there are degrees of severity and some people have a much much severe dysfunction than others.

I am not a food addict. But I understand that it is possible.

Both these responses summed up both a lack of understanding and a full understanding of addictions. Really cool.

Usually, people that dismiss addictions of various kinds are ignorant of them. They either haven't ever been impacted by them in any way, or they are completely heartless.

Yep. You can never really understand something someone is dealing with until you walk a mile in their shoes. I do believe food addiction exists. You can become addicted to anything that stimulates the pleasure centers in your brain. One of the keys to getting over addiction is to come to the realization that you are NOT completely powerless over your addiction. It is a struggle, it is painful, it is work, but with the proper support and sheer determination and grit you can beat it. I know I'm making it sound easy and I know that it is not. I had spent years on meds such as oxycontin, ambein, xanax, and more and they made my life MISERABLE! I, thankfully, was able to stop taking them without too many withdrawls. I was one of the lucky ones and didn't get severely addicted. My heart goes out to those dealing with any type of addiction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Very well said!

people that use heroin do it because of a greater problem as well.. do you think one day someone decides "hey! i'm going to do heroin?" and that's it? they are addicted? no.. it's their lives and the way they perceive it that determines weather they fall down the hellhole of drug addiction. mental illness + drugs = addiction....

Absolutely!! And not just mental illness, but trauma as well.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Let me sum it up to people who don't understand

Does it feel good?
    Does your body build a tolerance to it?
    You can get addicted to it.

People can and do get addicted to exercise. Try seeing some of those people on a day they don't exercise. They are a freaking wreck(I am slowly turning into one of those people, on the days I dont workout I go back into my depressive paterns, have trouble controlling my eating and just feel like **** all around. However that was my normal state before starting exercise so......)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I read this and cried! It honestly struck a deep rooted nerve within me. I suffer with this as well, and have my entire life, and like you said, nobody understands our frustrations. Keep up the good work, and add me for motivation if you like!
  • karenhray7
    Options

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative, but are you a psychologist? Have you treated addiction? Have you been an addict? (I can say yes to all three). I don't disagree that the majority of addicts begin using as a way to compensate for something else, but there are, in fact, people who do decide to try drugs like heroin, meth, crack, whathaveyou, not out of a need to compensate, but out of curiosity. Perfectly normal, mentally healthy people. And yes, I do know people like this. Mental illness + drugs can = addiction, but not always. Drugs + predisposed brain chemistry = addiction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative, but are you a psychologist? Have you treated addiction? Have you been an addict? (I can say yes to all three). I don't disagree that the majority of addicts begin using as a way to compensate for something else, but there are, in fact, people who do decide to try drugs like heroin, meth, crack, whathaveyou, not out of a need to compensate, but out of curiosity. Perfectly normal, mentally healthy people. And yes, I do know people like this. Mental illness + drugs can = addiction, but not always. Drugs + predisposed brain chemistry = addiction.

Right! And this was my point earlier in the thread about how the physically addictive quality of a drug is indeed something different from food, and the outcomes are different.
  • kimcalica
    Options

been seeing a psychiatrist for addiction for 11 years.. i have bipolar and have been addicted to many many things.. i have to fight every day to stay balanced. we can become addicted to anything, from the internet to a chemically addicting drug. it's in our heads... and it's our problem.. it's not something in the food... yes, the drugs have addictive things in them, but thats not necessarily what draws us to them. food addicts are addicted to life supporting substance.. it's like being addicted to water or air.. it's a shame.. but it's what brings them comfort so they overeat. some do it with drugs, and some do it with games or chatting or alcohol or whatever.. but the problem isn't the chemicals. it's the person.. what is causing the need .. the hole in your life that is causing you to seek out this self medication...