Anyone else burnt out on food?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I totally try and make my meals an adventure... I try to try new things.... I've been trying to work in a seafood meal each week and a vegetarian meal each week... but other than that... I look into new recipes... Sometimes I feel like I should have an international week so I try to pick a meal each night from a different part of the world... I make all my meal plans before I go shopping each week that way I know what I'm making.... a lot of times some of the recipes I have are standard monthly in case I feel like being lazy I just use the old measurements. All these things make it easier to stick to what I should have. Every once and a while I find a recipe that I just will have to tweak next time or maybe go a different route because it's just not that healthy. I use recipe sites that have pictures like tastespotting or something so I can see what other foodies are eating, then adjust so it's healthier (aka quinoa instead of white rice, etc). It works for me, maybe give it a try
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with snacking now where I want to eat healthy and if there isn't something healthy available to me, I don't want to eat crap instead. That becomes a bit of a chore having to try to make myself something small and healthy.
    But as for meals and weighing foods, I'm so used to it now I don't tend to think about it.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was looking at weight watchers and they give you the option of doing "filling an healthy" days where you have a limited selection of foods to eat but you don't need to measure any of them. Maybe that would be an option to give yourself a break. Then when you start to want the higher calorie stuff back in your diet you might have more motivation to measure it again?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used to love food, but now it's become a chore. All of the measuring, calculating, judging portion sizes, etc. has made food unappealing at this point. Here it is Saturday, a cheat day where I could eat anything I want, and nothing sounds good. Anyone else experiencing this?

NO WAY! lol

I never lose my desire for food. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm a foodie. I also don't get all super restrictive with myself. Perhaps a bit more balance and moderation in your diet (noun) would serve you well.
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! After a few months of logging, the initial excitement and obsessing in a good way is starting to wear off for me as well. I'm thinking it's probably just a naturally occurring dip in interest and that I'll eventually get it back. I mean, I love playing music but sometimes I'll go a couple weeks where practicing just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. Maybe your brain is trying to trick you in to jumping off the bandwagon completely. My brain is a jerk like that. I guess my advice is just to fake it till you make it! You're doing great things for your body and your health! Something will inspire you again soon!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with snacking now where I want to eat healthy and if there isn't something healthy available to me, I don't want to eat crap instead. That becomes a bit of a chore having to try to make myself something small and healthy.

This is the only area in which I've found it costing money to eat healthier--stocking up on better-option snacks to keep at work, in my bag, and at home so I don't end up having something crappy if my blood sugar starts to drop.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I measured everything in the first month or 2. Then I also got sick of tired of it. It did become a chore and I didn't even feel like getting up and making lunch because of all the preparation. So I decided to just pay attention and try to remember what 30g of protein powder looked like, how much 1 banana weighs, how much 250g of broccoli is, etc. I sometimes still weigh, but when I don't feel like it, I eye it and it works like a charm.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Food is not really supposed to be pleasurable. It is nutrition for your body. It's good that you are learning this.

lol wut?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I used to love food, but now it's become a chore. All of the measuring, calculating, judging portion sizes, etc. has made food unappealing at this point. Here it is Saturday, a cheat day where I could eat anything I want, and nothing sounds good. Anyone else experiencing this?

No. That would be a COMPLETELY foreign experience for me.

Eating is NEVER a chore. Food is fabulous. That's my problem.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    14 months later, I still love measuring my portions and servings.

And I still have a lusty relationship with food.

Food pleases me completely.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Here it is Saturday, a cheat day where I could eat anything I want, and nothing sounds good. Anyone else experiencing this?

tumblr_mf088vfA3f1rbrja2_zps1f909449.gif
    Food is not really supposed to be pleasurable. It is nutrition for your body. It's good that you are learning this.

mr-t-lol_zpsbdc7e5d7.gif
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    To those saying I'm just having a hard time adjusting, my husband and I have been doing this for 3 months. I don't think adjusting is my problem as things were fine until the last few weeks. I think I've adjusted to it too much- a little OCD about it and am not happy with that.

Thanks for the reminders to try new recipes. We're eating very clean & almost everything organic. We also live over 30 min away from the nearest grocery store, so I have to plan everything out a week at a time and do my shopping all at once. On the surface that sounds great, but once the week plan is made, we can't deviate from it at all or it will have a chain reaction effect on the rest of the week. We're a household of 2, so I find a lot of recipes that sound good, but I'd have to buy a lot of ingredients that I'll only use a little of and then the rest would go to waste. Guess ill just have to keep searching :-)

Oh, and I think someone commented that food isn't meant to be pleasurable. If that were true, God wouldn't have given us taste buds.

why would it go to waste, can you not portion any leftovers out and freeze it for another day?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I feel sorry for you.

And that's sad.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Same.

I bought some balanced nutrition protein shakes and meal replacement bars, so when I don't feel like cooking or am just to tired I have one of those. They work great especially with my chocolate tooth (=
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The measuring isn't that hard most of the time, but I get really burned out on cooking and just eat the same things over and over.

I get sick of having to think about what to eat or what to put in it. I've always been this way, though, MFP has only changed what kinds of foods I default to.

My biggest problem right now is that I want to have more fruit in my meals- specifically, I'd like to be able to eat a piece of fruit as a snack or a small breakfast or lunch, but everytime I try, I'm immediately incredibly hungry and end up throwing the rest of my day out of whack.