Eating Out

Hi everyone.
I eat out appallingly often and was wondering if anyone could recommend meals or pubs/restaurants (UK) etc... that would be the best to have/go to.
My daily sugar allowance is also 24g and i am allowed 1,200 cals.
Please advise!
Charlie

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Lean meat & salad.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    That doesnt sound very appetising! :(
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Not being from the UK, I can't suggest restaurants. What I do when I eat out, is try to make wise choices and stay away from lots of butter and creamy sauces. Deep fried foods are basically out of the question. That being said, if I go for something like that, I eat a lot less and take the rest home for lunch the next day. I have eaten out 2 times this week and stayed in my calorie allowance. I did forgo dessert both times.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    La Gavroche. I would like to eat there but I'm pretty sure its not good for weight loss. The food is probably very good though.
  • charliemarie923
    well you dont really eat out to have meat and salad. I wanted someone to recommend something that i couldnt work out myself. For example if steak with peas and peppercorn sauce is low in salt but high in carbs. And which type of desserts have the least fat and calories. I dont find your reply very helpful at all.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    You can check a restaurant menu online typically - so you can menu shop before you get there and know what you will eat.

I noted you said 1200 calories a day...seems too low to me.
  • TavistockToad
    well you dont really eat out to have meat and salad. I wanted someone to recommend something that i couldnt work out myself. For example if steak with peas and peppercorn sauce is low in salt but high in carbs. And which type of desserts have the least fat and calories. I dont find your reply very helpful at all.

NOT having dessert has the least calories!
  • charliemarie923
    Nevermind ive googled it. Thanks to those of you who actually tried to help.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/desserts/low-calorie/desserts-under-250-calories/
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    When I go out, I typically go to Indian food. I get a tandoori grill item, usually lamb or chicken. It comes with a bit of curry sauce in a dish on the side which I can dip into here and there. I don't have rice or any side dishes, I skip dessert, and drink tea or just water with dinner, or perhaps a vodka/soda with a slice of fresh lemon or lime.

I also like to go to a local steakhouse--I order a steak with just a salad, dressing on the side, no sauce on the steak (I never have sauce on steak anyway--ruins it), no chips/potatoes/rice for me. I have water and vodka/soda at that place, too. So yeah, I actually DO eat out to have "meat and salad", as that's what I fancy. I can work out all sorts of recipes at home, so I don't go out for that necessarily. I go out to enjoy myself and let someone else cook and do the washing up.

Checking menus beforehand online is solid advice.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    I will get something grilled instead of deep fried. There has been a few times too that I order what I have before my diet and just eat half. Or replace your fries with a fruit, I do that often. Share your plate with a friend, eat half and less money.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Wow, a thread has been up this long without being pushed to the gutter? Come one people, we are better than that!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I prefer to eat out at home. Fewer calories and it improves my marriage.
  • I don't know if you can do this at UK pubs, but before I go I look up restaurant menus and then put them into MFP to see what the general calorie count is. I usually base it off of that. My best advice would be to avoid the chips!

BTW: I've been to the UK a few times, and I LOVE the local pubs. Wish we had more of those here!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I started eating 1200 for a good few months and lost weight but still ate out. I ate/eat out at various places. Frankie and Bennies do a selection of under 600 cals meals. I have spag bol for 350 cals. Or nandos and Harvester have everything caloried up. If you're exercising, eat the cals back and you have more to eat throughout the day!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Pizza Express has those pizzas with salad in the middle. Get the dressing on the side.
  • laineybz
    Pizza Express has those pizzas with salad in the middle. Get the dressing on the side.

These too! i'm having one tomorrow yum! lol x
  • charliemarie923
    OOO we have all of those restaurants near us. I never knew Frankie and Bennys did an under 600 cal menu. I know some restaurants do liight bites. Im trying not to do more exercise than i need to as i get very obsessed and i have an ED so i really have to watch what im doing. I dont drive though so i do get exercise, just dont work out.

Rangerjess whats MFP?
  • charliemarie923

I had no idea these even existed ! I am deprived!
  • TavistockToad

Rangerjess whats MFP?

My fitness pal....
  • laineybz
    I wouldn't worry if you go slightly over your 1200 cals. As long as you're taking in less than you have previously you'll be fine. Once in a while won't harm you.