random thought regarding obesity

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think you are reading too much into the meaning of the word "serving."
    How could I possibly read too much into it when I just finished saying that the term is pointless and meaningless?

There is no reason to use a non-standardized measurement for presenting nutrition info on a label, and even less of a reason to term said non-standardized measurement as a "serving."

A "serving" is not equal in ANY way - weight, volume, calories, carbs, fat, etc. NOTHING is equal. All servings are different. Even the same food item from brand to brand has a different amount for a "serving." And there is no certain amount of "servings" we're supposed to eat in a day. So what is the point of calling it a "serving" when it means absolutely nothing? It's not even useful to measure a serving 99% of the time!
    It is meaningful. It tells you how to determine how many calories are in whatever quantity you consume. That's the purpose of the information being on the label, and it fulfills that purpose perfectly. What word would be better? A "cup" or a "unit" or what? Regardless what you call it, it still does exactly the same thing so why does it matter whether it's called a serving or a unit or a quijybo or a purplemonkeydishwasher?
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How many obese people are reading labels or worrying about serving sizes? None that I know. You don't get to be obese by worrying about your calorie intake.

Obese people didn't start obese, and perhaps if serving sizes and calorie information was clearer, they'd have thought twice before eating too much...
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This serving this seems to be more of a problem in USA than here (UK). Most things that say they are two or more servings I am not surprised by. As well as that, everything must be also labelled with nutritional info per 100g, so the maths is pretty easy to do.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with this, I thought I ate normal portion sizes until I measured out a 30g serving of cereal. I was horrified when I realised how little of things I was supposed to eat, like a serving of pasta, I used to eat about 3 times as much in one serving and think it was ok!

Making out that things are single serving does my head in a little too, like tins of soup, who eats half a tin of soup!?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    How many obese people are reading labels or worrying about serving sizes? None that I know. You don't get to be obese by worrying about your calorie intake.

Obese people didn't start obese, and perhaps if serving sizes and calorie information was clearer, they'd have thought twice before eating too much...

Do you really think obese people sit around totally confused over serving sizes and calorie information? As a formerly obese person, I can tell you that I sure didn't. I don't have trouble with reading or math skills, and am quite handy with my digital kitchen scale. When I was obese, I wasn't counting calories....I wasn't even trying to.

Like another person commenting in this thread, I also ate a whole lot of foods that didn't come in packages bearing serving sizes/nutritional info. I loved to cook then just as I do now, so most of what I ate (same as now) comes from the green grocer, the butcher, etc. No nutritional info on those things, and as I said, I didn't bother to look it up because I wasn't counting calories.

I wasn't obese because of strange labelling--I was obese for several reasons--a couple of them totally my fault (lack of exercise, lack of concern with just how much food I was eating) and a couple that were beyond my knowledge/control (medical issues that were undiagnosed at the time).

Obesity doesn't make people retarded.

And yeah, this debate about whether the serving size info is useful or not because it's not some standardised unit? Silly. If you know that that a given amount of that food contains x calories, x carbs, x sugars, etc. you can easily work out what your intake is, either with a scale (when you're at home) or by a rough estimate if you're out and about.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think you are reading too much into the meaning of the word "serving."
    How could I possibly read too much into it when I just finished saying that the term is pointless and meaningless?

There is no reason to use a non-standardized measurement for presenting nutrition info on a label, and even less of a reason to term said non-standardized measurement as a "serving."

A "serving" is not equal in ANY way - weight, volume, calories, carbs, fat, etc. NOTHING is equal. All servings are different. Even the same food item from brand to brand has a different amount for a "serving." And there is no certain amount of "servings" we're supposed to eat in a day. So what is the point of calling it a "serving" when it means absolutely nothing? It's not even useful to measure a serving 99% of the time!
    It is meaningful. It tells you how to determine how many calories are in whatever quantity you consume. That's the purpose of the information being on the label, and it fulfills that purpose perfectly. What word would be better? A "cup" or a "unit" or what? Regardless what you call it, it still does exactly the same thing so why does it matter whether it's called a serving or a unit or a quijybo or a purplemonkeydishwasher?

For example, I ate 2 purplemonkeydishwashers of Doritos with dinner. :laugh:
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    Nobody ever texts me so maybe that helps, but I have a very mathmatically inclined hubby so he does my math for me ^^. When I decided to pay attention to what I eat I have started reading nutritional info on everything in great detail. I dont get to do the shopping (or have much say in what is brought unless we use extra of our own money which there isnt much of) so that doesnt always turn out so well. I try not to eat too many carbs like pasta and potato but I love rice so I eat a lot of that lol.
    Its funny when you start to look at it you notice the amount of sugar in things you would never have thought had any.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Well between serving sizes and people lack of understanding of food is one huge reason. Most people don't know what a serving size is and some people don't understand how to eat well. Sometimes when I'm work I'll see people grabbing a salad now they load it with cheese and croutons, plus they drown in dressing. In their minds they think they're eating healthy because they got a salad but in reality with all they put on there that salad is no healthier than a burger.
  • ashleytisdale
    Options
    Why are they not healthy? Granted, the sugar may seem high however it is naturally occurring sugar. For example, one serving of grapes has 20 grams of sugar in it and more often than not people consume more than one serving of grapes in a sitting (at least I know I do). Ultimately, it's a healthier choice than potato chips, chocolate bars, or deep fried foods.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1) No one is arguing that obese people don't often disregard serving sizes. No one is arguing that obese people can't do math.

2) Even as contentious eaters, serving sizes still remains a frustration

3) Does anyone really break up their 20 ounce soda into 2.5 servings?

4) It's tricky and underhanded that companies do so.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how people who have never been obese view people who are. Astounding, really.

^this
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why are people obese? Because math is hard. Case in point: product labeling. Who the heck eats 3/4 cup of chocolate strawberry cereal (not me obviously). Let's have real people serving sizes and see what the result is. Most won't stand there and do the math (...well I want more than that and two servings fills my bowl with room for milk so one serving is 145 calories, plus 145 is..aww crap, let me get my phone, it has a calculator...ooh I got a text...3 servings later said person hates themself for eating too much...)

Obviously not the ONLY reason, but perhaps it is a contributing factor. Thoughts? Discuss.

:laugh: So much win! Yes, I agree, math is hard. For the longest time when I was younger, I thought the nutrition facts label was for the entire container of food. I'm a dumdum. Thanks for posting!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Also if u eat out, portions are never measured. 3oz fries= kitchen guys hand full. Bigger hands, bigger portion. I started working in a kitchen again, eating at work... weight loss stalled and i put on 5 lbs. Still counting calories- just super inaccurate from eating out.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In one of our on-line newspapers in the UK today was this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2301135/15-WORST-health-drinks-Orange-juice-Innocent-smoothies-sugar-13-Hobnobs-3-half-doughnuts.html I think this is a major problem, we eat and drink what we believe are healthy choices, to find out later they are anything but. I make everything from scratch now, and all from fresh ingredients, personally I think it's the only way to know for sure what you are eating really is healthy.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    no. i'm obese because i just don't care. i ate it anyway and didn't care if it was the wrong portion. and wasn't exercising.
    now i'm dealing with the consequences.
  • EmoJew
    Options
    ^
    This
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have been fooled by packaging quite a few times in the past. Here in the UK it's clear they deliberately make it confusing on lots of items. I now east mainly freshingredients so there isn't much confusion! I'm good at maths, that isn't the issue. It's the fact they deliberately make it misleading! Did packaging make me fat? No... Because I didn't look. Simple as that! The best advice I can give is to eat food in their natural state as much as possible. So much better for you on so many levels!

Zara :-)
  • bigmac2054
    bigmac2054 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not that my opinion matters or is factual, but I wouldn't say reading labels is a significant factor to obesity. Personally, I have been obese and I have been on the other side of being anorexic and bulimic. Currently, I am trying to get back to a healthy weight and lifestyle again.
    I think a lot of things factor into obesity and some of it is knowledge, but a lot of it is emotional. If we neglect one part of who we are as a person, it impacts the other (emotionally, physically, and spiritually). Genetics, inner pain, boredom, fast pace society, friends, self-control, and knowledge has its place.
    I wasn’t going to make this too lengthy.
  • EmoJew
    Options
    1) No one is arguing that obese people don't often disregard serving sizes. No one is arguing that obese people can't do math.

2) Even as contentious eaters, serving sizes still remains a frustration

3) Does anyone really break up their 20 ounce soda into 2.5 servings?

4) It's tricky and underhanded that companies do so.

^
    This
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    To me a serving is the size of the package =P A pint of ben & jerry's one serving. A bag of chips from subway, one serving. A family size bag of doritos, one serving.

I'm obese because I like food, not because of labeling issues.